• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Vunavalu from my viewing looks like someone who will sniff out a try, he has a knack of turning up when least expected to score.. That near try in goal is something special, he just had a crack and was so close.. get him the ball get him on the pitch he will score tries as he showed in league.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I keep meaning to check out the replay, but has anyone determined with that was a plan? My old man is adamant JOC (James O'Connor) had a look and gave Vunivalu a nod. It was an unusual kick given how they'd restarted prevsiously.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I keep meaning to check out the replay, but has anyone determined with that was a plan? My old man is adamant JOC (James O'Connor) had a look and gave Vunivalu a nod. It was an unusual kick given how they'd restarted prevsiously.

Kick it long so that when the Rebels try to clear it, the Reds are in their 50 rather than their own 50 to stop the Rebels from kicking at goal?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Watching it live I did feel like it was planned. If nothing else it was a different kick off to what the Reds use. It looked like one of those things they might try once or twice a game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think there was definitely the intention for the kick to go deep but certainly not that deep.

Joe Powell showed he didn't know the laws because if he'd grounded the ball he would have had a free kick on halfway. The same result if the kick had gone dead. This is one of the law variations. Under the normal laws, he could have grounded the ball and the Rebels would have had a scrum on half way.

Either way, he had no advantage to be gained from the ball going dead and could have just grounded the ball.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
So that Rebs vs Brumbs made the Reds look a lot better. The Rebels clearly just drag every team they play down into the sludge and beat them with experience. Unlike the Brumbies the Reds looked in control and the better team for most all of their game, while I felt like the Brumbies were more challenged by the Rebs.
I think that'll establish a clear 1/2/3 order with the Force and 'Tahs perhaps being a cut below. Mind you I'd love the 'tahs/Force to get a win on the Rebels.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
All in the eye of the beholder Z_C. The Rebels led the Reds for almost the whole of that game, while the Brumbies led the scoreboard for around half the game. The Brumbies also won a bonus point by winning by three tries. Some good evidence that just maybe the Brumbies fared a bit better against the Rebels than did the Reds.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
@Brumby, Did you feel like the Brumbies were more in control of the Rebels than the Reds were?
I felt like the Reds were always in control of their game, and it was inevitable that they would get the win. More a matter of when, although it was much closer than anyone expected.

But yeah the Brumbies vs Reds game will be EPIC! I'm just glad that the Reds have another week to find our best side. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) back in the 23 will be good, does Uru go back to the back row, or to the bench? What is our best backline how do we juggle Stewart, Pisami, Petaia, Vuni, Campbell... The Force should be a good test and let them figure out the best 23.
Whereas I think the Brumbies are more settled knowing exactly who their 23 are.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Might not be a bad time to get the Brumbies with Slipper, McInnerney, Fainga’a & Ala'alatoa all doubtful at this time. Plus Wright of course, but Muirhead & Hanson haven’t put a foot wrong on the wings.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Well - I don’t know the exact status of Slipper & Fainga’a. One of both could be back. But you’d assume McInereny & Ala'alatoa will be definitely out.

On the flip side, what is the status of BPA?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
BPA should be back soon I'd expect. Although the BPA vs Mafi question will be interesting as it's been since BPA arrived. Mafi has been playing well enough for both of them the last few weeks!

The Reds without Feao should be covered by Nonggor and while a loss Nella can go 80.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Might not be a bad time to get the Brumbies with Slipper, McInnerney, Fainga’a & Ala'alatoa all doubtful at this time. Plus Wright of course, but Muirhead & Hanson haven’t put a foot wrong on the wings.

Kata and Kuenzle are still out too.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
That will help backfill Fotuaika while he is serving his ban at least

I'm still not sold the MLR is going ahead like advertised. They've pushed back their start date due an entire franchise pulling out of the competition.

COVID still popping up everywhere (although the vaccine will help) and many international recruits yet to join their teams.

The Reds may have Ruan for longer than anticipated and I think that's a good thing.