• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It's been said plenty of times but Ballymore will not be a venue for top flight sport, that attracts large crowds, again. The residents and council don't want it. Best chance is as a state of the art high performance centre.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This thread is Reds 2021 isn't it? Do you think there will still be no crowds going along to sports in 12 months?

If RA/QRU are serious about putting rugby back on the map, now would be the perfect time for them to take advantage of the post-COVID funding to get construction projects happening and get the Ballymore development on the front burner. At least aim to get the main field fixed up and bring it into the current century in terms of amenities. Then I would definitely support a back to Ballymore approach in 2021.

Otherwise yes I would be asking Suncorp for a reduction in fees based on the number of patrons allowed in the Stadium. I'm sure they'll be trying to get as many going as possible, as soon as possible, with the Caxton St business also reliant on it.

yes good. point. QRU waiting on State Govt to match Fed contribution of $15M for Ballymore but the focus is very much on Centre of Excellence rather than potential playing venue for the Reds

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Vunivalu considering a backflip if his contract is not honoured in full. Also said his frriends and family are on in Melbourne so would like to stay.

Honestly - cancel his contract or see if the Tahs want him. Reds have Daugunu & Speight for 2021. Paisami and Petaia at 13, with Petaia being able to play wing. Plus CFS, off contract but far far cheaper. I think it would be smarter to use the 500k+ the Reds would be putting towards Vunivalu, and use that security to ensure essential existing contracts can be honoured and other essential off contract players retained.

I would hate to lose existing important players because we can't give them what was promised/deserved, but be able to bring in Vunivalu.

Reactions: dru

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Nothing I’ve heard from Vunivalu seems unreasonable, just wants to know if he will get what he agreed to.
They can’t simply cancel his contract without paying him sole form of compensation, unless both parties come to a mutual agreement to cancel the contract, or RA fall into insolvency and can’t pay out their contracts... then his move is happening

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Vunivalu is also 3 years younger than CFS and 7 years younger than Speight, as well as relatively injury free. The sooner we get him into a Red jersey the better, he will hopefully turn into a long term attacking weapon.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Vunivalu is also 3 years younger than CFS and 7 years younger than Speight, as well as relatively injury free. The sooner we get him into a Red jersey the better, he will hopefully turn into a long term attacking weapon.

Not 1 million bucks better he certainly isn't. Biggest waste of money since farking Big Dell turned up at Herston.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Not 1 million bucks better he certainly isn't. Biggest waste of money since farking Big Dell turned up at Herston.

Not sure how you can say that with such conviction before he's even played a game. Hindsight is a great thing so maybe he will end up flopping - but based on his calibre and the system he is currently in, I would be leaning towards him being successful.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^Yep agree , could end more the "Lote Tuqiri" end of the spectrum of league converts.

He played rugby in Fiji and NZ before the switch to league.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not sure how you can say that with such conviction before he's even played a game. Hindsight is a great thing so maybe he will end up flopping - but based on his calibre and the system he is currently in, I would be leaning towards him being successful.

i think he just means the cost, even for a superstar compared to what's currently going around.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
i think he just means the cost, even for a superstar compared to what's currently going around.

Yes true it is a lot, and all this talk is speculative until he actually picks up a rugby ball. But I think he's got the makings to be a real draw card. Outside of a current QLD state of origin player he's probably the next best type of player the Reds could sign who would be capable of creating some noise outside the hardcore Rugby fans.

Not to mention he's built exactly like the two best current league to union converts - Koribete and Radrodro.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Vunivalu was a weapon in junior NZ rugby and was progressing in the Auckland Blues system before league poached him. I agree though that he would provide more value for NSW than QLD based on their respective rosters. He's what rugby in Australia is definitely lacking at the moment - a top class athlete.

B

Bobby Sands

Yep, he's an absolute star. Has been arguably more impressive than Koriobete at the Storm.

Very sad about the Tahs, but think he will be fine in QLD.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
'If' the Reds can afford him... then he will be a great addition... i'm not convinced they can afford him though.

pnut

Alfred Walker (16)
'If' the Reds can afford him. then he will be a great addition. i'm not convinced they can afford him though.

Won’t it be RA picking up the tab for the majority of the contract not. QRU ?
Otherwise pretty sure QRU couldn’t afford it

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Won’t it be RA picking up the tab for the majority of the contract not. QRU ?
Otherwise pretty sure QRU couldn’t afford it

costs are shared, yes RA top up a lot, but the QRU also pays a fair chunk..