• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Tend to agree with your opinions, but if the Wallaby outside center comes knocking on your door and wants to break bread, you probably have to at least invite him in for a cuppa. I don't think it should be a hard NO.
Highly doubtful anything will happen anyway.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Why wouldn't they? They might not be happy with his tactics/advice to players but they can't lock themselves out of that many players.

I mean technically they aren't dealing with him at the moment. Fairly sure after the Kerevi saga they refused to discuss contracts with him and instead were going to deal directly with the players who he managed. I can only imagine that situation has gotten worse since then.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think that Kerevi';s skillset matches what the Reds need. Think about Stewarts ball handling game and think what happens if you replace him with Kerevi.

Kerevi is great, a former Red great - so we should respect him. But I wouldn't have him starting unless he has suddenly discovered an off load and distribution game. Unless you think he could transition to wing?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I think he has a good offload game but agree re distribution.

There were some good points made at the end of last season when we knew he was leaving, it was pretty clear the game plan had been built around him and relied too heavily on him making it over the gain line with every carry to setup our next phase. Not having him in the side means they've gone back to playing a more expansive game.

Ah well, hopefully at least he runs out for GPS. I think at club level he would be absolutely devastating.

Reactions: dru

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I don't think that Kerevi';s skillset matches what the Reds need. Think about Stewarts ball handling game and think what happens if you replace him with Kerevi.

Kerevi is great, a former Red great - so we should respect him. But I wouldn't have him starting unless he has suddenly discovered an off load and distribution game. Unless you think he could transition to wing?

You wouldn't have Samu Kerevi starting for the Queensland Reds? That's hilarious

B

Bobby Sands

I genuinely think Kerevi is a destructive player individually that is difficult to weave into a team structure.

This is evident at super rugby and internationals.

We are a better side without him.

I genuinely believe that.

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
our attack sucks at the moment. Kerevi would be an automatic selection. The wingers might not get more ball but at least we would get go forward

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
our attack sucks at the moment. Kerevi would be an automatic selection. The wingers might not get more ball but at least we would get go forward

I dunno Reg, all things going well, next year, the Reds should have a backline consisting of Hunter, Jordan and Vunivalu. That's three blokes who should get you over the line along with Flippe.

If Kerevi was to come back, how would you fit him in the backline? I guess you'd maybe want;
9 - Tate
10 - JOC (James O'Connor)
11 - Danugu
12 - Stewart
13 - Kerevi
14 - Campbell
15 - Vunivalu

I don't know Vunivalu's ball playing or kicking abilities, so I included Stewart at 12 with Campbell at 14.

Depending how well Jordan has pulled up, do you put him on the wing, or in the centres? If you pair him with Kerevi in the centres, the ball will never leave the 13 channel.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Petaia would be wing.

I have never seen Vunivalu play so couldn't suggest where he'd play or how good he'd be.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I think its a moot point. Kerevi posted on social media last night a photo of his Japanese team with the caption 'Missing you' or something like that. I would say he will be going back over at the end of the year. After playing for GPS.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
No way is Vunivalu playing 15. His skillset is the same as Koroibete except he’s better under the high ball. He’s prone to a brain fart in League, he might take a little while to adjust to Union.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I genuinely think Kerevi is a destructive player individually that is difficult to weave into a team structure.

This is evident at super rugby and internationals.

We are a better side without him.

I genuinely believe that.
Better to have the option, though.

B

Bobby Sands

No way is Vunivalu playing 15. His skillset is the same as Koroibete except he’s better under the high ball. He’s prone to a brain fart in League, he might take a little while to adjust to Union.

I think it's unlikely as well.

But Vunivalu is just exceptional - and I am so glad he is coming to rugby.

A back three that involves all or two of Koro, Daugunu, and Vunivalu is genuinely menacing.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Vunivalu will be a winger, however he is vastly different to Koroibete. He's more Israel Folau than Koroibete. Hes a superior league player than Koroibete, which doesn't always mean much in transition but his skills are high ball, support play and an incredible finisher in tight spaces.

B

Bobby Sands

Vunivalu will be a winger, however he is vastly different to Koroibete. He's more Israel Folau than Koroibete. Hes a superior league player than Koroibete, which doesn't always mean much in transition but his skills are high ball, support play and an incredible finisher in tight spaces.

Yep, he's genuinley elite at league and looks a more "organised" footballer than Koriobete.

Koriobete has been incredible for the Wallabies so I didn't want to big note Vuni too much.

I think your caveat is a good one.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
will be great to see Carter start to feature off the bench next year. Physically he will be much more mature and can see him being solid option there for us.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep, he's genuinley elite at league and looks a more "organised" footballer than Koriobete.

Koriobete has been incredible for the Wallabies so I didn't want to big note Vuni too much.

I think your caveat is a good one.

His basic skills are better, can pass off both sides and can kick to some capacity. Hopefully his rugby background will help as well. Excited to see him, but happy to wait to see him play before forming a solid opinion