• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
popping an opposing prop is an infringement , if the referee knows what he is doing.

I take the listed height and weights of some players with a grain of salt. I know my height and I have stood next to Rhys on more than one occasion.
So Rhys is lying about his height, and all those other props listed as equal or shorter in height are telling the truth? :rolleyes:

Claiming he is too short is just crap, judge him on his merit.
070C5C97-A6B3-4B69-9EC4-19B3E27794C6.jpeg

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

oh the vitriol !!!!
throw up a different concept and get vilified - gotta love this place.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The height thing is interesting as it's horses for courses. I think your front row needs balance and if he's listed at 5'10 I would see this working quite well with Tupou being similar.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

The height thing is interesting as it's horses for courses. I think your front row needs balance and if he's listed at 5'10 I would see this working quite well with Tupou being similar.
both are THP though. Not sure if either can move over to LHP.

Sideline Hack

Frank Nicholson (4)
like a tall hooker?

If only someone knew a tall hooker.......

have a look at the 19 year old kid at UQ. Been in the reds academy pathway for a while so knows the expectations of being a queenslander.

Been informed he is 193 cm and 115 kgs (old money 6'3 or 4 and 250 lbs). Breaks the mould of a traditional hooker. Played first Prem grade as a reserve first year out of school and been on a development program and worked with Stephen Moore last year

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

You said all of world class props need to be above 5’11”, but there’s an entire Sprinbok frontrow that is below 5’10”.

Of course people are going to disagree with this claim, it's not a accurate based on the evidence at test level.
Can I be clear?

I never said all world class props HAVE TO be anything.

I said I prefer the props to be bigger after there was some discussion about Qld looking for troops and a common comment of being out muscled.
I suggested to look to a bigger type player such as an Angus Bell ie 6'4" and Malcolm Marx 6'2".
I did imply that they also need to bring a skillset beyond scrummage as what they do in lineouts and around the field is just as important.

I never shit canned RVN (actually complimented his scrummage technique) or any of the other shorter front rowers in the game.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Can I be clear?

I never said all world class props HAVE TO be anything.

I said I prefer the props to be bigger after there was some discussion about Qld looking for troops and a common comment of being out muscled.
I suggested to look to a bigger type player such as an Angus Bell ie 6'4" and Malcolm Marx 6'2".
I did imply that they also need to bring a skillset beyond scrummage as what they do in lineouts and around the field is just as important.

I never shit canned RVN (actually complimented his scrummage technique) or any of the other shorter front rowers in the game.
Ok
while Rhys is a powerful man and very good scrummager my basic belief is he is too small / short to be playing at the next levels up.

If you look at all of the world class level props they are in the 5'11"to 6'3" (179cm to 190cm) range.
1B4393C3-F1BD-40A7-93A0-C81E776C87E6.jpeg

Last edited:

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I remember watching the amazing Scottish forwards in the late 80's and early 90's and realising that it wasn't all about power. The Scots literally looked up to their opposition front rows but constantly smashed them all over the park.
When the game went pro I predicted that front rowers wouldn't get much bigger because a good short guy had the angles on a good talk guy. I was wrong as front rowers got bigger and bigger.
I still believe a shorter front row jas an advantage over a tall front row in a scrum. Everything else being equal.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Here's a crack at what our best XV could look like:
1. Hoopert
2. Asiata
3. Tupou
4. Jones
5. Smith
6. Wright
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. O'Connor
11. Petaia
12. Paisami (is Stewart leaving?)
13. Flook
14. Vunivalu
15. Campbell
16. Faesslar/Nasser
17. Zander/Francis (if we actually sign him like some of the previous chat is suggesting)
18. Nongorr/van Nek (same as above)
19. Blyth
20. Uru
21. Thomas
22. Creighton/Lynagh
23. Daugunu/Henry/Grealy

Personally I would love it if we picked up Francis and van Nek. Reunite the Easts front row that absolutely tore through the Hospital Cup a few years ago. Considering how young both Francis and van Nek are I think there's a real opportunity to develop them into top-grade players.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Personally I would love it if we picked up Francis and van Nek. Reunite the Easts front row that absolutely tore through the Hospital Cup a few years ago. Considering how young both Francis and van Nek are I think there's a real opportunity to develop them into top-grade players.
Absolutely, having a front row with a connection like that would be great for both their performance and development. Plenty of opportunity to bring all three off the bench together at some stage during the season. I really don't know if they're actually looking at Francis though, he just stands out as one of the players in QPR with the greatest potential upside if he can get it right.

I do think the hooker pecking order is very up in the air right now - I think they might have it as Faessler-Nasser-Asiata, I'd probably have it as Nasser-Faessler-Asiata, but they're all very close and I'd be happy with just about any order for the 3.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Francis is the same age group as Nasser and Faessler, i thought he was older.
Take him on a trial and train contract, put him on the shred and see how he goes dropping 15kg during pre-season.
Is he!?

I would of easily said he was 3-4 years older. Don't know why my head thinks that.