• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting some people think we will be better than last year. I think the opposite.

We are running out essentially the same team but without Taniela, Mafi and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

Zander is not Super Rugby standard, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) is on the way down and Daugunu, Paisami and Vunivalu look to have staggered their progression.

Uru and Campbell probably the two players who will be better in 2023. Aside from that I reckon it’ll be a lean year.
From my point of view I wouldn’t say I’m confident we’ll be better - but I’m not sure I get the level of pessimism either. My tendency is to be optimistic, sometimes naively so, but I do think some of the criticism’s lack context.

To me the biggest two concerns are the front row and the concerns around squad morale under Thorn.

The second one is certainly a concern but, to be honest, I take most public comment on that with a grain of salt because, quite simply, I am in no position to know either way. I think that Mick Heenan and Phil Blake are good additions to the coaching group. Time will tell.

The front row is certainly a big concern. Agree that Zander needs to step up and we are really hoping for upside from Fa’agase & Nonngorr. I am really hoping for a late announcement of a Super quality squad addition (or 2) but I doubt that will happen at this late stage. Our scrum has been a big part of our success and it has potential to go from a definite strength to a weakness which would be telling.

However, I am prepared to at least wait and see on the basis of the following -
- a lot has been made of our lack of success against the Kiwi teams but it should be acknowledged our injury toll was terrible during this period. There were positions where we were running out our 5th choice player. would we have had more wins if we hadn’t had that injury toll? Who knows? It’s speculation either way but we were equal top of the Australian conference and we had just turned in our best performance beating a very good Brumbies team before the wheels fell off
- O’Connor hasn’t fired a shot at test level but he’s still been the best Australian 10 at Super level for the last 3 years. If he stays fit our chances greatly improve.
- LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) & Mafi missed big chunks of last year so they aren’t the loss they appear on paper. On the flip side guys like Flook, Vest, Nonngorr, Faessler, Asiata, Thomas, Henry, Creighton, Grealy, Uru, Nasser, Jeans all got much needed Super Rugby experience. Some of them will kick on - some won’t but none of those guys should be on a downwards trajectory.

To me one key aspect will be Heenan fixing our lineout. As much as our scrum has been a weapon the last three years, our lineout has been a chronic Achilles heel and has cost us numerous games. I don’t think it will offset to a drop off in our scrum, but it will at least provide some counter.

One other thing is while there is no ready replacement for Tupou’s explosive involvements Tupou’s down side is his work rate is relatively low, his tackle accuracy not the best and he does give away a few penalties. Fa’agase and Nonngorr can’t replace Tupou like for like but if they, along with Nasser/Asiata/Faessler can be high work rate/high accuracy players then we can still expect our pack to provide a platform for a very strong backrow and backline to work off.

The jury is definitely out. There is big pressure on our whole tight 5 to step up a level. I’m happy enough for the Tahs and Brumbies to take too billing in terms of Australian teams and I think that is fair enough. But I don’t think we’re in as bad a position as some are suggesting.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Leaving aside comments in those two specifically every squad will have a level of injuries and, at some point in the season every team will have 8-10 guys out. I do think we are in a better place than in previous years to deal with that except at prop.

As it stands presently if we have 3 injuries in the front row we are going uncontested.

(Jokes aside - who are the potential recruits people can see to fill out our numbers at prop??)

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Training with the Brumbies but not signed I believe, can't believe we haven't got him yet

We must be missing the fine print with some of these props - the Reds clearly have a shortage. So either there is a big deal in the works for an established player (assuming would have to be international) or these QPR guys simply aren’t hitting the right criteria.

I would have thought one of Van Nek, Francis or Felemi would have a contract by now.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Tends to rub people up the wrong way and doesn’t take feedback very well.

I feel like the feedback point is a bit of a generational thing.

The way people transfer and absorb information now is changing. Lots of ‘knowledge’ available to players to access online now, film to study, technique to read about etc. to quote Daddy Pig from Peppa Pig (those with kids will know) everyone is ‘a bit of an expert’. Not just talking about rugby players either, I’m seeing it across other industries.

It’s definitely not a trait you want in a player though, especially in a position where there is a lot of skill and technical experience which can be taught by others.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm Struggling to place where multiple players are in the pecking order. Tualima, Faifua, Tauakipulu all cover the same positions (Maybe Tauakipulu is more a 6/8 instead of of Lock/6) ,but I haven't seen enough of them to know how they compare and how they are developing. Faifua seems to be the biggest, and both Tauakipulu and Faifua are under 21 so there seems to be a lot of upside. But Tualima is also big, is only 25 and has experience already. Surely one of them is a standout?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Wallabies Harry Wilson, Taniela Tupou and Len Ikitau could be the latest big names to ditch Australian rugby as uncertainty over the Giteau Law and the future of Dave Rennie grips the code.

Wilson, who is off contract with the Reds at the end of next year, has not fielded an offer from Rugby Australia since June and last week expressed his frustration after being overlooked for a second consecutive spring tour.
Wilson is disillusioned and considering a move to Europe.
RA also find themselves in a bind over Tupou, the damaging but injury-plagued prop who is also off contract at the end of 2023. The ‘Tongan Thor’ could attract offers of more than $1.5 million per season in France, where tighthead props are prized, but has been keen to stay in the Australian system where athletes and their families are well supported.

Unfortunately, calf and achilles injuries have interrupted Tupou’s momentum on the field, making it hard for RA to justify paying him top dollar. Talks have stalled, with the 145kg prop likely to have to consider a one- or two-year bridging deal to prove he can get back on the field.
Wilson, on the other hand, feels he has been treated poorly by Rennie, who chose to take NSW rookie Langi Gleeson on the spring tour instead of the Reds back rower. The 23-year-old has sat behind starting Test No.8 Rob Valetini for some time but now appears to be drifting further, his lack of “footwork” the consistent complaint.

“I feel as if I did (respond last season), so I’m very frustrated,” Wilson told media in Brisbane last week. “The feeling of not being a part of the group hurts and I think I’m good enough to get back in there.”
Wilson’s plight might not trouble Wallabies fans in NSW but losing him would be a major blow to the Reds. He was the Stan Pilecki medallist this year, scoring five tries. Queensland Rugby will be mulling coach Brad Thorn’s future beyond 2023 and will want to reassure fans and players that brighter days await.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tier One Academy squad named:

Buildcorp Reds Academy 2023 – Tier One Squad
Nick Baker | GPS | Marist College Ashgrove | GPS | Queensland U19s & Junior Wallabies
Harry Bell | Bond University | St Joseph’s College | Australia U18s
Nick Bloomfield | Easts | Anglican Church Grammar School | Easts | Queensland U18s, Queensland U19s & Australia U18s
Matt Brice | University of Queensland | Good Shepherd Lutheran College | Noosa Dolphins
Charlie Brosnan | Brothers | Easts | Anglican Church Grammar School | Brothers | Queensland U18s & Australia U18s
John Bryant | Souths | St Laurence’s College | Souths | Queensland U19s
Max Craig | Easts | Anglican Church Grammar School | Easts | Queensland U19s & Junior Wallabies
Ben Daniels | Brothers | Anglican Church Grammar School | Cloncurry Bulls | Queensland U18s and Australia U18s
Jarrod Homan | Easts | Brisbane Boys College | Maitland Blacks | Queensland U19s
Baguio Johnson-Tiumalu | Wests | St Peter’s Lutheran College | Forest Lake Wasps
Willem Johnstone | Souths | St Joseph’s Nudgee College | Maroochydore Swans | Queensland U19s
Trevor King | Souths | Downlands College | Gladstone Rugby Club | Queensland U18s & Australia U18s
Joe Liddy | Easts | St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace | Easts | Queensland U18s & Australia U18s
Sam Mataafa | Souths | Padua College | Sunnybank
Will McCulloch | Norths | Padua College | Queensland U18s, Queensland U19s & Australia U18s
Harry McLaughlin-Phillips | Souths | Brisbane Boys College | Gunnedah Red Devils | Queensland U18s, Queensland U19s & Australia U18s
Dre Pakeho | Brothers | Anglican Church Grammar School | Norths | Queensland U18s & Australia U18s
Finn Prass | Brothers | Sunshine Coast Grammar School | Grammar Lions Rugby Club | Queensland U18s
Tim Ryan | Brothers | St Patrick’s College | Queensland U19s
George Stoddart | Easts | Anglican Church Grammar School | Easts | Queensland U19s
Harrison Usher | Bond University | The Kings School, NSW | Northern Barbarians Rugby Club | Queensland U19s
Charlie Wigan | University of Queensland | Toowoomba Grammar School | Toowoomba Prep Rugby Club | Queensland U19s

Taj Annan, Taine Roiri and Louis Werchon will also train with the Reds squad, after graduating from the Reds Academy this year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hooker:

Max Craig

Baguio Johnson-Tiumalu

Props:

Nick Bloomfield

Harry Bell

Harrison Usher

Trevor King

Charlie Wigan

Locks:

Charlie Brosnan

Ben Daniels

Backrow:

Nick Baker

John Bryant

Joe Liddy

George Stoddart

Sam Mataafa

Scrumhalves:

Willem Johnstone

Flyhalves:

Harry McLaughlin-Phillips

Finn Prass

Centres:

Tim Ryan

Dre Pakeho

Back 3:

Jarrod Homan

Matt Brice

Will McCulloch

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Harry McLaughlin-Phillips signed through to 2025 also.

Nick Baker, John Bryant and HMP will train with Reds through preseason.