• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hamish Stewart & Josh Flook have the most potential there and should ideally be developed as the next 10's after O'Connor. Both of them like Paisami, are too small to excel in the midfield at international level (hell, even Brian O'Driscoll would be way less effective in the midfield at 93kg considering the way the game has trended at elite level) but both of them are natural playmakers and former schoolboy first-fives I believe.
Stewart is now at the Force and Flook has established his position as a winger/centre/utility.

Creighton showed last year that he's absolutely up to it, and should be first cab off the rank. I think Henry might be the one with the next-most experience at 10?

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
From all reports, O’Connor is fit and firing. He’s head and shoulders still our best 10 - but at least we have better experience behind him now. Rennie mentioned only last week he’d been on the phone to him, so he’s clearly not out of the World Cup equation.

Agree with the plugs for Tupou & LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) but, again, Lukhan missed most of last year and Tupou missed a chunk. Wilson & McReight led our attack. Liam Wright is not as flashy, but is a smart player and Uru will play a role either starting or off the bench. I’m probably more worried about which forward is going to win us gain line dominance then who will provide attacking spark. Our tight 5 all need to lift in attack and defence to get us quick, front foot ball.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Flook at 10????
I don’t see it as likely either, but I thought I read recently he played 10 for a lot of high school. He does have good hands and a kicking game.

Seems though he is very much an outside back now and is doing well there. From what I understand his preference is 13.

We now have O’Connor, Creighton, Lynagh and McLaughlin-Phillips in the 10 pathways with Campbell and Henry able to provide cover. Whilst there is still (IMO) a decent step down from O’Connor to Creighton I can’t see any need to be trying to convert Flook into one.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Lolesio might come back to QLD in 2024.
Why - the Brumbies don’t have a back up for him do they? I’d imagine he’d be more in demand there than here.

I’d never say no to a quality recruit but I can’t see why he’d want to leave the Brumbies to come here. If we decided we wanted an additional option to what we have I would have thought one of the NSW guys would be the most likely acquisition.

Reactions: dru

Marce

John Thornett (49)
*Hamish Stewart & Josh Flook have the most potential there and should ideally be developed as the next 10's after O'Connor. Both of them like Paisami, are too small to excel in the midfield at international level (hell, even Brian O'Driscoll would be significantly less effective today at 93kg considering the direction the game has trended at elite level)* but both of them are natural playmakers and former schoolboy first-fives I believe.

That's what I've been saying for a looooong time. There's not a test level replacement for Kerevi

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That's what I've been saying for a looooong time. There's not a test level replacement for Kerevi
Paisami’s problem of international level isn’t his size. Sure, it would help if he was bigger but his footwork and speed gets him over the gain line and his timing produces plenty of dominant tackles.

His issue is decision making.

In any case it if Flook can’t make it as a 13 I’m not sure on what basis it could be assumed he will make it as a 10. He’d be surplus to requirements at the Reds for a start so would need to find a new team who wanted to develop him there.

Flook may or may not go on to play test rugby and, if he does, might struggle due to size but he is an outside back and a very good one.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think if Flook is to play Test Rugby it will be as a creative style Winger. He has natural rugby ability and seems to be in the right place at the right time like Drew Mitchell use to be.

Creighton I thought played past expectations last year and should be seen as a good prospect at 10. After that time should be invested in Lynagh and potentially recruitment of one of the 4 NSW 10s in their squad. Will be interesting to see how O'Connor goes. Can't see him going an entire season without an injury so others will be needed.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
On a seperate note I’ll be interested in the style of attack we play this year.

There was lot’s of discussion last year about the difference of in the time the ball is in play in the Northern hemisphere vs Southern hemisphere and I’d imagine all teams would be focused on lifting that metric.

Two years ago the Reds did a lot of offloading. It is as great to watch when it was on, but did produce a lot of turnovers and I thought we struggled vs the Kiwis when we couldn’t match their tempo. Last year it appeared to my eyes we reigned that strategy in a fair bit and played a more conservative game. But, based on the comments of Liam Wright, the intent seemed to be to be more expansive against the Kiwis but they just couldn’t get their game going.

I’d like to see them play more expansively but it does, of course, rely on them having a solid set piece and strong breakdown. I think we have the players to play that style of game and I think it’ll be more effective in terms of challenging the top teams - so long as we can execute (always fhe big ‘if’).

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think if Flook is to play Test Rugby it will be as a creative style Winger. He has natural rugby ability and seems to be in the right place at the right time like Drew Mitchell use to be.

100% agree - I think Flook's play style, body type and rugby IQ lend himself to become a great 13 or winger.

Even during his first season with the Reds he was popping up in the right places more often than not. Doesn't need the pressure of playing in tighter.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
instant bump for qld reds players to have a chance going to RWC.

I thought Dave Rennie wasn’t picking the best squad available and was succumbing to appeasing the power brokers in NSW with less inferior warratah selections. Hopefully we can get rid of “politics” in national team selection.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought Dave Rennie wasn’t picking the best squad available and was succumbing to appeasing the power brokers in NSW with less inferior warratah selections. Hopefully we can get rid of “politics” in national team selection.

Nope, it's just the tinfoil...

Wilson

David Codey (61)

I don't think there were any politics or appeasement of NSW to Rennie's selections, but yes a change at the top probably opens more doors for Reds players, given they've been under represented compared to tahs and brumbies over the last couple of years. Certainly guys like O'Connor and Wilson who look to have been on the outer recently should get a boost.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Honestly, I think while Dave is sorting out his career, the Reds should be asking him to drive up the M1 to Herston a couple times a week, especially when we prepare against the Kiwi teams.

Seems like an absolute waste of Rugby knowledge if he's just sitting down the coast all week long.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't think there were any politics or appeasement of NSW to Rennie's selections, but yes a change at the top probably opens more doors for Reds players, given they've been under represented compared to tahs and brumbies over the last couple of years. Certainly guys like O'Connor and Wilson who look to have been on the outer recently should get a boost.

loves a leaguie winger too.