• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
What do you fellas think of the draw with playing a couple of games in Townsville? I like the games going there etc, but was interested to hear mate over there who has been a member for 20 year worth it which is a shame.s, has mentioned he not rejoining this year, as I think he felt a bit of a disconnect last year or 2

He must be unique; 40,000 reds at a Super Rugby AU Grand Final 18months and another 500k watching on TV, the highest ratings Super Rugby match in a decade were pretty connected. With the return of Super Rugby Pacific this year though, i can appreciated that disconnected sentiment.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
He must be unique; 40,000 reds at a Super Rugby AU Grand Final 18months and another 500k watching on TV, the highest ratings Super Rugby match in a decade were pretty connected. With the return of Super Rugby Pacific this year though, i can appreciated that disconnected sentiment.
Mate, but he like me and goes to rugby every week, and doesn't judge everything by one game. Him and I have been at Suncorp almost every game for last few years up until I came home in 2020, and we sat with all the long time members. I not sure why he feels like he does, but I do know he said it to me last year, it could even be that he doesn't like way team is heading. And a couple of weeks he said he will just watch on tv and maybe just get a ticket to games that of most interest to him. This is a man who like me has travelled everywhere to watch rugby, we would fly to NZ to watch Reds play Highlanders, come over for Bledisloe, even Lion tests etc etc. He's not a part time supporter by any means as would be the majority of the 40,000 you speak of. Hell I saw a crowd as big at 2011 final, but also big crowds alll year, not just one game.
I not suggesting Reds are wrong moving games around, just asking their supporters what they think, he wasn't against it but just felt it another reason not to rejoin. As I said Reds are between a rock and a hard place (well most teams are) to spread the games or keep membership happy.
And I would add he was very disturbed about the idea of not having Super Pacific as he likes to see best players he can and had suggested he wouldn't bother if there wasn't a full comp anyway.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Missing the elephant in the room you think declining interest in Super Rugby Pacific is unique to the Reds and a result of taking one extra game to Townsville.

If he is a dedicated fan as you suggest and loves the Trans Tasman element, he isn’t leaving because of one less game, he is leaving because the competition is stale, lacking in tribalism and predictable. It’s the exact thing we’ve all been pointing out to you the past through all these ‘Where to for Super Rugby’ discussions.

the Townsville factor is a bit of a non-discussion if we’re being honest.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It’s funny you think declining interest in Super Rugby Pacific is unique to the Reds and a result of taking one extra game to Townsville.

If he is a dedicated fan as you suggest and loves the Trans Tasman element, he isn’t leaving because of one less game, he is leaving because the competition is stale, lacking in tribalism and predictable. It’s the exact thing we’ve all been pointing out to you the past through all these ‘Where to for Super Rugby’ discussions.
No I don't think that and never said that or unless I missed a post I put up. I simply asked if any Reds members felt taking games to Townsville would influence them? It was a genuine question not a dig at anyone, I wonder if it make a difference to membership numbers is all. It was when someone asked if membership numbers would be same next year with Super Pacific.
Canes have been criticised over years for not taking games to regional grounds enough and wonder if it to keep members happier.
I not suggesting it unigue to Reds either , apart from a few games against NZ teams last year Tahs didn't look to have very good crowds, and even they might have been where the games were played ,so fans want to go there. I wonder what the answer is.

All sport I know has declining interest, hell I just been watching a bit of a live cricket test from Perth (I think) betwen Aus and Windies and there bugger all people there.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Probably also worth mentioning the round 1 game has been moved to Townsville because Suncorp has been booked for a concert at that time. Shifting the game to Townsville also comes brings in significant money from the state government for the QRU.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep mate I repeat I not against it, actually think it good for game was just asking an innocent (I thought) question.
One of reasons I asked, is over here someone like Blues takes game to say North Harbour stadium, so not a big deal for members, it's a tyranny of distance thing I know.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Missing the elephant in the room you think declining interest in Super Rugby Pacific is unique to the Reds and a result of taking one extra game to Townsville.

the Townsville factor is a bit of a non-discussion if we’re being honest.
Cheers mate I will tell him why he is not renewing his membership. And I add, the Townsville thing you added after answered the question, it doen't make any difference to members.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Taking games to regional areas of fans is a positive especially when the state government is willing to financially support this endeavour in a brand new stadium. Those financial incentives wont be dangled forever, there’s a limited window where the government is trying to justify the stadium that they’ll offer those.

Long term fans aren’t giving up on Super Rugby because a game is going to Townsville, it may be one minor contributing factor for some but there are so many other issues with Super Rugby which have caused this declining interest, at risk of turning this into a “where to for Super Rugby’ thread it’s not worth discussing them.

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Mate, but he like me and goes to rugby every week, and doesn't judge everything by one game. Him and I have been at Suncorp almost every game for last few years up until I came home in 2020, and we sat with all the long time members. I not sure why he feels like he does, but I do know he said it to me last year, it could even be that he doesn't like way team is heading. And a couple of weeks he said he will just watch on tv and maybe just get a ticket to games that of most interest to him. This is a man who like me has travelled everywhere to watch rugby, we would fly to NZ to watch Reds play Highlanders, come over for Bledisloe, even Lion tests etc etc. He's not a part time supporter by any means as would be the majority of the 40,000 you speak of. Hell I saw a crowd as big at 2011 final, but also big crowds alll year, not just one game.
I not suggesting Reds are wrong moving games around, just asking their supporters what they think, he wasn't against it but just felt it another reason not to rejoin. As I said Reds are between a rock and a hard place (well most teams are) to spread the games or keep membership happy.
And I would add he was very disturbed about the idea of not having Super Pacific as he likes to see best players he can and had suggested he wouldn't bother if there wasn't a full comp anyway.

If you are a diehard supporter a flight to Townsville is nothing. If I lived in Brisbane I'd do it. How much is a fly to Townsville? All the backpackers I know traveled to the whole country with low cost flights

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I did fly to Townsville for a Reds game myself and Dunedin etc, so I agree Marce, but a I wonder if all members do is all? I was actually kind of asking Reds supporters if it made a difference to them, but as Adam says won't make any difference to him. I actually knew a couple (not well friends of friends)who lived up that way somewhere were members who flew to Brisbane almost every game, and followed them around the country, but sure they not the usual member, they did same for Netball, obviously had a lot of $s!
I will add mate says he not probably bothering to renew his membership, will just pick the games that interest him the most.
Though with one point you bring up, I not sure too many backpackers have memebership to Reds etc, and take my word for it, if there anything on of interest in Townsville there will be no low cost flights ;)
I don't think it will effect crowds at Suncorp as such, just wondered if maybe membership numbers. Kind of adds $3-400 a game if you travel to Townsville etc, what with accomodation air fares etc. I repeat I not against idea at all, jus a query.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Taking games to regional areas of fans is a positive especially when the state government is willing to financially support this endeavour in a brand new stadium. Those financial incentives wont be dangled forever, there’s a limited window where the government is trying to justify the stadium that they’ll offer those.

Long term fans aren’t giving up on Super Rugby because a game is going to Townsville, it may be one minor contributing factor for some but there are so many other issues with Super Rugby which have caused this declining interest, at risk of turning this into a “where to for Super Rugby’ thread it’s not worth discussing them.
As I said I agree on taking game regional Adam, he hasn't given up on Super rugby , and I never said that,he just not bothering with membership. I was merely wondering about people renewing memberships etc. I acually wonder if members take things like the number of game their tickets cover into consideration when becoming a member.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Mate, but he like me and goes to rugby every week, and doesn't judge everything by one game. Him and I have been at Suncorp almost every game for last few years up until I came home in 2020, and we sat with all the long time members. I not sure why he feels like he does, but I do know he said it to me last year, it could even be that he doesn't like way team is heading..

Doesn't like the way the team is heading? Obviously your mate wasn't following the team in the mid 00's.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I do know that Townsville Rugby Union has already sent out invites to other regions (Whitsundays, Mackay, Rockhampton and I’d assume Cairns) to send teams to Townsville for the day for trials/mini carnivals/whatever to turn the weekend into something of a festival of rugby. I’m involved in a girls rep program and I know we are planning to send the girls up then head to the Reds fixture. I do get that it’s not always easy (and normally not cheap) to fly to Townsville for the weekend but, hopefully, there will be a very good crowd from regional Queensland in attendance.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
The only issue I have is the Super Rugby season is already incredibly short and lacks ability to engage regularly with fans. Reducing it to 5 or 6 home games makes the membership unappealing to some. I personally will get one but can’t see others wanting to commit when there really isn’t much to it in terms of content. They will just go casually, which will also mean the will opt out of some games whereas the membership mentally commits them to it. They really need to somehow get the offering up to 10 games.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Doesn't like the way the team is heading? Obviously your mate wasn't following the team in the mid 00's.
Mate as his 20 year membership has just ended, yes he was. But I know exactly what you mean , as I was there and I was member of Reds 2005 on for a while , another mate still has his same membership and sits in same place as we did then, right along side tunnel where tunnel comes out, boy there were some unhappy punters then wasn't there? A lot then saying stuff this I not renewing my membership if they keep on like this etc, and seems a few did change etc. But I repeat he will still support them, but just not feeling the need to renew membership etc, and will no doubt attend the odd game, just not there every week.
Even in all the time I attended games there , one of biggest disappointments for me personally was the crowd numbers in games against the Tahs, they used to be almost a sell out all the time (and Reds would always win even if that there only win of season etc ;) :D) but lst few years crowds for these matches were real disappointing.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The only issue I have is the Super Rugby season is already incredibly short and lacks ability to engage regularly with fans. Reducing it to 5 or 6 home games makes the membership unappealing to some. I personally will get one but can’t see others wanting to commit when there really isn’t much to it in terms of content. They will just go casually, which will also mean the will opt out of some games whereas the membership mentally commits them to it. They really need to somehow get the offering up to 10 games.
Thanks Wallaby , that was question I had, do you as a member think having 2 less games at Suncorp will effect the number who will take up membership. will QRU drop price of memberships to make up for less games?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I do know that Townsville Rugby Union has already sent out invites to other regions (Whitsundays, Mackay, Rockhampton and I’d assume Cairns) to send teams to Townsville for the day for trials/mini carnivals/whatever to turn the weekend into something of a festival of rugby. I’m involved in a girls rep program and I know we are planning to send the girls up then head to the Reds fixture. I do get that it’s not always easy (and normally not cheap) to fly to Townsville for the weekend but, hopefully, there will be a very good crowd from regional Queensland in attendance.
Yep mate , I would think there maybe good crowd too, and hope they continue to do it going forward. Something I like Super teams doing. I always used to go up to Toowoomba for preseason games etc too.
I would like NZ franchises to it more, I think they all do, just wondered if teams are held back be membership etc.

Reactions: TSR