• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
I often think Petaia is best on D and in high pressure situations where he's forced to do the safer option as best he can. In open attack he often seems to want to be that amazing spark.

In saying that I also think our expectations of him are very high for such a young man still growing into his body and maturing. By any metric for his age he's doing very well.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I often think Petaia is best on D and in high pressure situations where he's forced to do the safer option as best he can. In open attack he often seems to want to be that amazing spark.

In saying that I also think our expectations of him are very high for such a young man still growing into his body and maturing. By any metric for his age he's doing very well.
With Ikitau around his best shot at getting into the Wallabies side is at wing - but I think he should be 13 for the Reds.

I still think he has the potential to be an outstanding outside centre. World class even. He's only 22. He's got at least another 10 years of professional rugby ahead of him.

The hardest part of 13 is defence and this has generally seemed like a strength of his. His decision making with ball in hand will improve.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think that mindset also comes from being thrust into a Super Rugby environment too early. He seems like the sort of player who would have benefited from a couple of years of club rugby and understanding his limitations of not being able to keep doing what he was doing to schoolboy players.

Interestingly Petaia was still in the top 20* of youngest players in Super Rugby last year. He has been on the scene for a while, but he is still bloody young.

Guys like Kerevi and Paisami had only just debut’d at their equivalent age that Petaia is now.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
With Ikitau around his best shot at getting into the Wallabies side is at wing - but I think he should be 13 for the Reds.

I still think he has the potential to be an outstanding outside centre. World class even. He's only 22. He's got at least another 10 years of professional rugby ahead of him.

The hardest part of 13 is defence and this has generally seemed like a strength of his. His decision making with ball in hand will improve.

A lot of great centres started out on the wing and when they lost a bit of top end speed they moved to centre and excelled. Think Tana Umaga, Ma'a Nonu,

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
There's still a lot of time for Petaia to transform into an out-and-out 13, but I think he's continuing to cement himself as a very strong winger / bench utility. As mentioned, his defence (particularly scramble) is often outstanding, and he's continually shown his abilities as a finisher.

It could be time to stop trying to push him through the 13 mould we once thought he was destined for, and instead accept and leverage the strengths and raw talent he displays imo.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There's still a lot of time for Petaia to transform into an out-and-out 13, but I think he's continuing to cement himself as a very strong winger / bench utility. As mentioned, his defence (particularly scramble) is often outstanding, and he's continually shown his abilities as a finisher.

It could be time to stop trying to push him through the 13 mould we once thought he was destined for, and instead accept and leverage the strengths and raw talent he displays imo.
I guess. Explosive wingers come and go pretty fast IMO. Class centres are far rarer.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
I guess. Explosive wingers come and go pretty fast IMO. Class centres are far rarer.
Agreed, however, Jordy is yet to show that's he's (consistently) a class centre, despite everyone's hopes. He has shown his abilities on the wing though, and that he's more than a run-of-the-mill explosive winger.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

He would actually make a really good league winger, less decision making as well. Has above average aerial skills, decent size, his 1 v 1 defence and attack is very good and he wouldn't need to kick.

Ged

Allen Oxlade (6)
Geerob on SMH speculating McKellar to the Reds, and TV interview with Thorn recently grilling him about his future. What do people think? Word on the street? Personally, I still like Thorn and think he has more to contribute to the Reds. I also think EJ (Eddie Jones) might like him (proven winner, high standards, league and union background)

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Looks like one of the mods has put in a rule to change what you were typing (V-a-nivalu) to the correct spelling (V-u-nivalu) since I made the post, so they've all been updated retrospectively.

No biggie, we're all guilty of butchering names every now and then - just see it as a small sign of respect to get them right if we can.
Are u from Fiji?

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
He's a gifted athlete, no doubts about it but he's like a young QC (Quade Cooper). When he got the ball he wants to prove that he can offload the ball every time he's into contact.

He's fearless and I pretty like that but I have doubt about his resistance to injuries, he seems prone to suffer it

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think this year will decide his future at the Reds.

Reg, is this the case? I would have thought that Thorn has had his chances, been offered huge latitude, and it is time for a change. I have respect for the guy, but I'd think it would be good for him as well to try different pastures. I wouldn't want to lose our investment in the bloke to Australian rugby. Sure, a really firing 2023 would boast his claim, but given there is a 12 month lead time around planning for and selecting a new coach (or should be), the call on Thorn was (should have been) made at the end of 2022. In my opinion.

I don't know if we will (easily) find the aptitudes in a coach that I would ideally like to see, but it has been a long time since we have seen a coaching arrangement that has been able to really get our halves skill level and game-planning to a high level. Not sure that is McKellar though.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
Bloody Dave Rennie - Taine Roiri has done his ACL at training and will be out for the season
horrible news for any young fella but in all honesty he wasnt ready to step up to that level. should have stayed in clubland for another year and worked through PremGrade. Same with a few more at the Reds (Lynagh, Annan, Blake, Aubrey,etc). Boys playing with men is always a tough balance.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reg, is this the case? I would have thought that Thorn has had his chances, been offered huge latitude, and it is time for a change. I have respect for the guy, but I'd think it would be good for him as well to try different pastures. I wouldn't want to lose our investment in the bloke to Australian rugby. Sure, a really firing 2023 would boast his claim, but given there is a 12 month lead time around planning for and selecting a new coach (or should be), the call on Thorn was (should have been) made at the end of 2022. In my opinion.

I don't know if we will (easily) find the aptitudes in a coach that I would ideally like to see, but it has been a long time since we have seen a coaching arrangement that has been able to really get our halves skill level and game-planning to a high level. Not sure that is McKellar though.

so if the Reds click this year and make a strong run in the finals, you'd ditch Thorn?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Heenan is probably the wildcard in the Reds setup.

He's had the credentials for a number of years to make the jump into professional coaching, but interesting that he took the opportunity now.

I wouldn't be surprised if the QRU and Thorn are already in discussions to move him into a Rugby/Development Director Role in the next few years, with Heenan coming through to Head Coach.

That's not me saying Heenan is ready, no doubt he's been amazing at the club level. But I am keen to see his impact out of a very well defined setup.