• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Highlanders Friday 30th May

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Speaking of Samu Kerevi, how does everyone think he went? He had a great season last year in Queensland Premier Rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Never in doubt. Well played Reds.

The refereeing was ridiculous. He almost never made the defender release before going for the ball.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

The refereeing was ridiculous. He almost never made the defender release before going for the ball.

He also may want to review those things that run perpendicular to the front of the ruck - I think it's called the side or something like that?

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Speaking of Samu Kerevi, how does everyone think he went? He had a great season last year in Queensland Premier Rugby.

Fairly limited opportunities. Liked what I saw but he didn't really get a chance at hitting half a gap. But I'd probably keep him in the squad ahead of JJ if Turner gets fit during the break.

Great to walk out of Suncorp as a smiling Reds fan again!

T

tranquility

He pinged Gilly for one, that was a rightful steal. Although it was a weirdly officiated game.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The purists who like collapsed scrums, kicking duels and penalty goals may disagree, but I thought last night was a great game of rugby.

Well done to both sides for playing positive rugby from start to finish - yes there were some wrong options and mistakes, but I'd watch games like that in preference to games like Brumbies v Sharks every day of the week.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
entertaining game. well done the reds for hanging in there. i also thought the officiating poor and although not biased thought the highlanders got the rough end of the stick.
big kev needs a BIG rest. lumbering around and either ineffectual or fucking it up when he actually got into the play.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
2 tries , 5 minutes. no worries.

Got the two tries right, just not wanting for it to be one each way!

A crap first half. Much better second half. Would have been one of the greatest comebacks of all times.

Also quite happy that they chanced their arm and went for the win. Imagine if they had pulled it off! Even though they lost, it was a far more entertaining game than some of the boring shite that has been served up in the last few weeks (by other teams!).

T

Train Without a Station

entertaining game. well done the reds for hanging in there. i also thought the officiating poor and although not biased thought the highlanders got the rough end of the stick.
big kev needs a BIG rest. lumbering around and either ineffectual or fucking it up when he actually got into the play.

Good to see a win doesn't change to knockers still.

Kev made some handling errors. Lumbering and ineffectual is an odd way to describe his performance. The reds forwards have been good all year, they were better last night providing much more front foot ball. Kev included.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>

But.. The elephant in the room is the final round. YEW!!! And the Reds have nothing to lose.

And that is a bloody big elephant, and the monkeys have been there and left a stack of banana skins all over the floor of the room.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Great gutsy win by the Reds.

Forwards came to play.
Slipper was immense as was Simmo, Shatz and Browning
All forwards played exceptionally well. They fucking dug in.
I also thought Albert Anae was great at the end. No panic, just a ruthless effort. Set pieces were great.

Lucas and Harris were very good.

Fantastic to see Genia really stand up for his 100th. His best performance by far this year. Running, sniping and most of box kicks were good.

The loyal crowd was well rewarded and those that didn't go (because of recent performances) can get fucked

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)

He did pretty well with his limited opportunities. No errors that i can recall. Took the ball in the contact well, got over the advantage line. made a half break at the end when the reds were needing to work their way in to Highlander territory. I was a bit worried that a guy that green might cost the reds at the end when they needed to retain the ball after the buzzer but he was actually very composed. A bit early to say but looks like a keeper.

Was nice to see some good young talent coming through. Kerevi looks to have potential and Browning was very good. Anae played well too. Something to work with for next year. If we can pick up JOC (James O'Connor) and maybe a big physical number 8 for next year we could do ok.

Still worried about Graham tho

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
Why the fuck did the Clan kick that to the Reds?

That kick was horrific, the clan needed to attack, be it with ball in hand or a roll the dice attacking kick.

The other option was kick it out and be happy with 3 points, given where they were at half time and where they are on the ladder this would have been a smart enough option... though a bit lame.

The only thing that wasn't an option was to gift the ball back, mid field pressure-less kick.... wtf... I just don't understand.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Great win by the Reds, but that was one baffling win in some ways

The clan looked like they were going to overrun the Reds early and ended up nil'ed and behind at half time.

I thought Sharpe's comment was interesting, the clan were making too many metres o_O and didn't adjust their clean out and were turned over

I also found it bizarre that such a once proud hard working, forward focussed team could become so useless so quickly

That said, Simons did very well, as did the front row and the backrow was as industrious as ever.

The backs did the job, but don't seem to have much shape or a plan, just throw cut outs for the most part and try to go around. No angles, no moves, no much in side

Status
Not open for further replies.