• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds V Highlanders Rd 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
This is a game where the visitors would like nothing better than to rain on the Reds' party and prevent them from making the finals.
The Highlanders put up a mighty battle against the Chiefs and only lost it close to the end - and a very intense game it was too, with the Highlanders knowing they had to win to stay in the mix, but with the Chiefs also knowing that they had the Crusaders breathing down their necks for leadership of the NZ chapter.
So will the likes of Andrew Hore, Adam Thomson, Hosea Gear, Aaron Smith et al cause mayhem at Suncorp fortress, or will the Reds, committed to maintaining their march to the finals, continue on their way?

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
This will a very tough one. Highlanders are brutal. I'd be stoked with a win - not even considering bonus points at the moment.

Sounds like CFS is out but Digby back and Taps on the bench?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'll back the Reds in a see-sawing battle.

Hopefully high scoring because the Reds need 4 tries in this game.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Big game for the Reds. I saw enough in the first half last week to think that they will get the job done. Cooper looked much better than before the bye and others are in good form.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Reds Highlanders games have been good matches in the past, I think this game will be no different. I think our team looks settled and relaxed. Also, I'm pretty confident at Suncorp these days.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
We did get the 4 try bonus point against the table topping Chiefs at Suncorp so should be able to do it again.

Then again, would also be happy with a 1 point win..

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think any win this weekend will see the Reds move ahead of the Hurricanes on the table courtesy of having won more games.

Bonus point win would of course be better though to try and get clear of the Sharks too.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
The Highlanders will be wanting to show everyone they were serious contenders. Jamie Joseph is gutted the team are out now. They will be bringing their A game and any reds supporters that hope that they will be going through the motions are going to be disappointed. I am picking the Clan for this one.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Highlanders will be wanting to show everyone they were serious contenders. Jamie Joseph is gutted the team are out now. They will be bringing their A game and any reds supporters that hope that they will be going through the motions are going to be disappointed. I am picking the Clan for this one.

Mate, I would be quite worried about you if you didn't back your team! I think that the Highlanders are still mathematically still able to make the finals, but they would have to rely on a hell of a lot of results going their way. IIRC, the Clan were in the same position last year as well. They always seem to come out the blocks firing, but then drop away in the last half of the season.

Doesn't mean that this game will be easy for the Reds though. I think it will be a brutal encounter, as the Clan pack will really have a point to prove, and try and prove it against an improving Reds pack.

I'm tipping the Reds to notch up the win, but I think that it will come down to Harris' boot. One try each is my prediction.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
this is our Indigenous round, tieing in with NAIDOC week.

St.George Queensland Reds captain James Horwill and twins Anthony and Saia Fainga'a today unveiled Queensland Rugby’s first Indigenous Round jerseys which will be worn by the team on Friday night against the Highlanders at Suncorp Stadium.
Queensland Rugby has dedicated the July 6 match, which falls during national NAIDOC week festivities, as their inaugural Indigenous Round to provide an opportunity for the Reds Rugby community to celebrate Australia’s Indigenous culture and heritage.
As part of the celebrations, the Reds will wear Aboriginal art printed jerseys designed by renowned artist Stephen Hogarth, which will be individually signed and then auctioned to raise funds for the Queensland Reds Indigenous Program.
Bidding commences tomorrow Tuesday 3 July at 12:00pm will run for a period of seven days.
“Friday night will be a big occasion for the Reds with the importance of both the Indigenous Round and result against the Highlanders to make for a very special evening,” hooker Saia Fainga'a said.
“There is a lot to play for and it’s humbling that this current squad of Reds have the opportunity to be involved in the very first Indigenous Round.”
Anthony Fainga'a echoed his brother’s sentiments.
“Everyone was impressed with the jersey’s design when it was presented to us last week and we’re now looking forward to putting in a good performance to hopefully add even more value to the jerseys before the auction finishes next week,” Anthony Fainga'a said.
“The Indigenous Round is a great initiative for everyone to celebrate the meaning behind NAIDOC week and we’re all proud to be involved in the match.
“I encourage everyone to get along to the game early and soak up all the festivities before what is an exciting opportunity for us to play in front of our home crowd for the first time in seven weeks.”
The title of the Hogarth’s jersey artwork is “You Belong” which refers to the Aboriginal belief that we belong to the land and sea, as well as to each other as a community.
The art tells the story of a strong, cohesive Indigenous community that values its youth and their future by developing strong leaders ready to take on the challenges of tomorrow.
“I am proud to link my artwork with this sporting event because I have seen that strong leaders need health and fitness in their lives,” Mr Hogarth said.
“In the same way, healthy communities can only be achieved by working together as team mates and making healthy lifestyle choices.
“Reconciliation is an important process for today’s generation. It enables us to work in our culturally diverse society and to respect people’s differences. Australia is a place where you belong.”
The striking jerseys are just one element to Friday night's Indigenous Round celebrations with a number of musical and dance performances being showcased in the Suncorp Stadium precinct prior to the game, and on the pitch before kickoff.

Thoughts on the jerseys? I love them.

imageResize.ashx

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Highlanders might go all out for a bonus point, which could fall into the reds hands?

Well, one can hope.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Is there a point to this thread? I thought this match was a foregone conclusion. Highlanders to win by 23. Jamie Mackintosh will fall to the ground so often the pitch will end up with liquefaction. Just how we like it. Jason Rutledge will start a biff with Saia Fainga'a over who has the best hairstyle, distracting his brother from tackling Jarred Hoeata who goes on to goose step past Quade for the opener. It's just bound to happen. It's all on the cards rugby fans, written in the stars, destiny, fate, potato. Reds by 11.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Good to see Taps is up for selection. How bad is F'Sautia's injury? Have Gill and Ioane been cleared to play? And the same question asked once a month, is Toua near fitness (could be needed if Ioane is also ruled out).

T

TOCC

F'Sautia trained yesterday so it can't be to bad, they said its better then the first though.

Gill, Robinson, AWH, Lucas and Ioane are the 3 under injury/sickness cloud.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Thoughts on the jerseys? I love them.

Looks good until the St George logo! I really hope St George allow for the jersey's next year not to have any form of background. I get that they want their logo to stand out (the St George Dragons jersey's look fantastic), but it just detracts from a great set of work on the jersey's!

Are they going to be auctioned off like the South African ones were to help raise a bit of cash to go back to the community?

Status
Not open for further replies.