• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Highlanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Also i heavily doubt that crows was even 8,000 - 6,000-7,000 at best

Although the pyrotechnics were nice considering how cold it was

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
^^^^
Agree re Real Crowd (vs Fake News QRU Con Job Crowd) around 6-7,000 max.
Also interesting that they didn't announce the crowd number.

Considering what upthereds said about the reds counting everyone (including staff etc.) and rounding up by 10%, i wonder if the crowd was so small they couldn't math it up to 10k plus.

It would also explain why some weeks they announce the crowd and don't for other weeks seemingly at random

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
It was OK.

But not very much.

OK, it was a pretty ordinary match tbh. Both teams were pretty terrible.

At least we didn't get stomped, but sheesh, the brains went right out the window at the end there.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep I like you gel thought it was ok, no more than that. The Clan I thought were ordinary, but lucky for them they were playing a very ordinary team. Crowd was bloody disappointing, not sure where all these so called supporters are, hell I'm a Canes man, but I still there! One thing I suppose you can say, it must be the Reds supporters that really know the game that are staying away, I sit up where there seems to be mostly long term members, and from the stupid comments yelled at the ref at times I not sure the ones still going actually do know the game at all:p. I actually thought the winning penalty when it was awarded saved the Reds a yellow card as when the ball went out through a couple sets of hands it seemed to of been knocked down deliberately by the Reds wing. Definitely agree with people who are pleased with the effort Reds are putting in on defence, but f*** me just half a clue on attack would be welcome!
Still I will probably be there watching them against the Tahs next week!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Plenty of good efforts and individuals in the Reds side. The simple errors and lack of game smarts are hurting us.

Promising performance by Perese. Between Perese, Daugunu & Petaia have a lot of promise to give us a threatening back 3 - I’m just not sure which, if any, of them would transition well to the fullback role.

We have the bones of a good team. Yes, I know that similiar comments have been made for years - but for years we have heard about ‘the next big thing’ that hasn’t gone on with it. Guys like Tupou, Rodda, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright, Hockings and Petaia all show signs of players whose development is being managed positively for mine.

There have been comparison between the age/experience of this Reds side and the side of 2010/2011. But what we really miss is a Genia/Cooper (pre-injury) combination guiding the team around, but also posing a very real threat themselves to the defence. He is not a QC (Quade Cooper) type - but I think Stewart can become a super level (at least) 10. We really need one of Tuttle, Sorovi or McDemott to come along in the 9 jumper. Genuine threats with good game management at 9 & 10 would transform this side.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Plenty of good efforts and individuals in the Reds side. The simple errors and lack of game smarts are hurting us.

We have the bones of a good team. Yes, I know that similiar comments have been made for years - but for years we have heard about ‘the next big thing’ that hasn’t gone on with it. Guys like Tupou, Rodda, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright, Hockings and Petaia all show signs of players whose development is being managed positively for mine.

Maybe I have missed something, but the Reds seem to have had an aura of defeat around them ever since losing Link. The "next big thing" is Thorn, for mine.

He seems to have what it takes to mould a good team. I am optimistic about the Reds now, the first time I have felt like this for a long time.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I see the same. I wish the Reds would come along more quickly, but I definitely think they are improving. I haven’t seen that under either Graham or Stiles.

Edit: this is not to disagree though with comments made about the value we would get from an experiened assistant coach or two with a background of high level success.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
"But what we really miss is a Genia/Cooper (pre-injury) combination guiding the team around, but also posing a very real threat themselves to the defence."

Interesting spectator at the game. Matt To'omua was at the game with his family supporting his young cousin JP. He's someone who could definitely steer this brigade of young and hungry Reds. He is a great communicator. Something we are missing in critical moments of what is best option and making most effective decision. I still think between Sorovi, Tuttle and young McDermott, we can build a capable link from our fast improving 'work in progress' forwards and a back line with a To'omua will imo be a winning formula in the next 2 yrs.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
We might think the Reds are 'improving with many good young players' but FFS the aim of being in Super Rugby is to, at the very least, credibly aim to get into the Finals.

The expectations of many Reds posters here have now fallen so low we are semi-satisfied with little crumbs of isolated achievement and, over the last 5 seasons, glacial rates of 'progress'. The QRU has conned us into falling for a game of 'thank heavens for small mercies'.

We are now at 2018's _Round 15_ and we are still making a ridiculous number of basic errors, our kicking from hand is appalling, the coherence of our attack is virtually non-existent, our defence is woefully unpredictable (viz Sunwolves game), and we repetitively lose 'winning rugby smarts' just when they are most needed.

And as the terrible Reds home crowd numbers show, everyday fans - unlike we small band of rusted-ons here - will not pay to watch a slo-mo rugby R&D program that promises real results on the never-never.

Reactions: dru

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
Bit of headless chook stuff in the last quarter of the game with no one really taking control of the game management aspect. The kicking appeared to be aimless and panicked and allowed the Highlanders to play to their strengths and dominate field position. This is where Lance really needs to step up and control proceedings and not leave it for o the youngsters so much. More running of the ball and putting it through hands was required, as when they did they looked dangerous.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has a long career ahead of him, Rodda continues to impress, and Petaia looks the goods..as I’ve said previously, with more experience I wonder how he’d go at 13.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Also interesting that they didn't announce the crowd number.

Considering what upthereds said about the reds counting everyone (including staff etc.) and rounding up by 10%, i wonder if the crowd was so small they couldn't math it up to 10k plus.

It would also explain why some weeks they announce the crowd and don't for other weeks seemingly at random

Apparently, they now have.

W Smith is quoting the crowd number (btw, as though indisputable) at 11,729.

That would have Suncorp at 22.3% full.

Anyone there and/or whom saw the TV shots would know: Suncorp was far, far less that 1/5th occupied last night.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Rodda is clearly one of the top three locks in the country. He was very involved and impressive in the game v the Highlanders (as well as all year long, actually). When Rory Arnold comes out of suspension, those two with Adam Coleman should be the locks for the Wallabies season v the Irish.

Petaia is really looking the goods in all aspects. Understand he is Matt To'omua's nephew. Has the right genes to go the whole way.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Rodda is clearly one of the top three locks in the country. He was very involved and impressive in the game v the Highlanders (as well as all year long, actually). When Rory Arnold comes out of suspension, those two with Adam Coleman should be the locks for the Wallabies season v the Irish.

Petaia is really looking the goods in all aspects. Understand he is Matt To'omua's nephew. Has the right genes to go the whole way.
Just a shame the Reds best prospects are a lock, a tight head, and a few wingers; all positions that we have decent players in from other franchises.

Status
Not open for further replies.