• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Rebels Rd 14, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Really, the season is totally over for the Reds; mad Monday should have been held yesterday.
Every other game between now and 2016 start should be regarded as training runs:(

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Plenty of teams pick up when their backs are against the wall. If the Reds can't lift for this then they should bring out the big broom and start pre-season training.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Any chance of the Reds playing a 10 at 10? I think Knuckles would love someone there who can kick for the corners all night.

It mightn't be a good plan but at least it's a plan.

Strong rumours that a QPR 10 will be lining up for the Reds this weekend.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I agree with the spirit of your post: let's at least start some thoughtful experiments with new players or new plans or new combinations or....the season's gone, time for pro-active renewal after so little else has worked well so far in 2015.

However I note that the QRU are now letting it be known that 'RG has 5 games to salvage his position'. (Perhaps this is like the infamous - though amusing - ref's 'final, truly final, probably really final' warning to Richie McCaw in his red zone after 5 'accidental' AB infringements).

If this definition of how RG saves himself is true (the last definition was the 5 games between the two byes and on that basis he scored a D-), it's likely we'll see zero new experiments and risk-taking as the season finishes.

I hope this is so. I still think the Reds could win on Friday night but I kind of don't want them to and do want them to at the same time. Whatever is required to get RG out the door.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I hope this is so. I still think the Reds could win on Friday night but I kind of don't want them to and do want them to at the same time. Whatever is required to get RG out the door.

And I just thought you wanted to help the Rebels knock either the Tahs or Brumbies out of finals.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
or is that Korcyk (spelling)

It's Greene behind McIntyre

download.jpg

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think a Reds fight back may come from within the group to try and salvage some gravitas for those who still have a chance for Wallaby selection . The Rebels on the other hand have a point to prove every week ( I think its called "Silence Mark Ella !") .... Rebels by 3 .

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It's Greene behind McIntyre

Now, that's a good sight.

Posters here might remember I've been singing Greene's _potential_ for some time. So have others.

One of the very best elite schoolboys players I have ever seen, at both 10 and 15. Virtually single handedly won a recent GPS rugby comp for Brisbane Grammar's 1st XV.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It is sad to say but I just don't know what good can come from a Reds victory this weekend. We all want Graham gone and personally I warm to the possibility of the Rebels playing finals and having a real crack at topping the conference.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It is sad to say but I just don't know what good can come from a Reds victory this weekend. We all want Graham gone and personally I warm to the possibility of the Rebels playing finals and having a real crack at topping the conference.

That is doubly good point. Yes, we can admire much of the way the Rebels are fighting and playing.

But, too, the darker and deeper business truth is that the ARU has pumped in excess of $8m+ of above-normal special support funds into the Rebels as this franchise's losses have been so severe since the ARU had to take the Rebels back for $1 from H Mitchell and Co.

This huge (and ongoing btw) financial injection into the Rebels at a time of ARU cash crisis is one of the principal reasons other just-as-deserving Aus rugby programs have been starved or cut.

If the Rebels continue to play well and get into the 2015 Finals, this will be demonstrably good for the VIC RU's economic viability in terms of all of sponsorship $s, 2016 gate income and, critically, the potential backing of a new private equity consortium that the ARU is desparately keen to see take over the Rebels so the massive financial drain from the national coffers can cease, or be very substantially reduced.

And that is something, to say the least, that all the Aus RU's have a major interest in seeing happen.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I really hope that if a "real" 10 is playing then Frisby moves to 9.

He has done a good job considering his skill set and should get the start at 9 as Genia is not staying and this is a chance to practice a new combination.

For the good of the team we might as well look to the future and not just this week.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Now, that's a good sight.

Posters here might remember I've been singing Greene's _potential_ for some time. So have others.

One of the very best elite schoolboys players I have ever seen, at both 10 and 15. Virtually single handedly won a recent GPS rugby comp for Brisbane Grammar's 1st XV.

About time they listened to us!

Not quite sure I agree on the second bit (bloke in my profile pic tops my list), but I have no doubt he has the potential to be our long term 10. Experience is the key at this point and he will need time to find his feet.

I'm not phased if it's him or McIntyre because they are both in the same boat. If just one can show a glimpse of positivity for our future without Quade, I'll be over the moon.

I also see a real positive that if Green is on the field, JOC (James O'Connor) won't ever be handed the kicking tee.

Alas, I reckon the Rebels by 10 in an entertaining game.

T

Train Without a Station

That is doubly good point. Yes, we can admire much of the way the Rebels are fighting and playing.

But, too, the darker and deeper business truth is that the ARU has pumped in excess of $8m+ of above-normal special support funds into the Rebels as this franchise's losses have been so severe since the ARU had to take the Rebels back for $1 from H Mitchell and Co.

This huge (and ongoing btw) financial injection into the Rebels at a time of ARU cash crisis is one of the principal reasons other just-as-deserving Aus rugby programs have been starved or cut.

If the Rebels continue to play well and get into the 2015 Finals, this will be demonstrably good for the VIC RU's economic viability in terms of all of sponsorship $s, 2016 gate income and, critically, the potential backing of a new private equity consortium that the ARU is desparately keen to see take over the Rebels so the massive financial drain from the national coffers can cease, or be very substantially reduced.

And that is something, to say the least, that all the Aus RU's have a major interest in seeing happen.

In that time the Rebels extra TV market have been a significant factor ensuring that the ARU was betting $5M per year for TV rights on a per team pro rata basis, and increasing to $8M per year now.

Without the Rebels that's 16 less games per season.

And it's not exactly above normal special support. The Reds and Waratahs have both received financial support from the ARU in the past, the only difference is they have had 100 years to cement the code in their regions.

Make no mistake, the ARU haven't given the Rebels "special support". They have made an investment in the future of Australian rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.