• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Rebels, Sat May 17 @ 7:40

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Oh and my take on Horwill's comment was not Ed being carded but the complete failure to investigate the headbutt. That was a rubbish decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Walsh did say he saw a scuffle and head contact but couldn't be sure it was a headbutt. Looked like they had one angle only, which was the worst angle to judge the headbutt from. The TMO put him in a corner, being adamant about the RC, and I don't think the view we saw was enough to definitely call anything.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Walsh did say he saw a scuffle and head contact but couldn't be sure it was a headbutt. Looked like they had one angle only, which was the worst angle to judge the headbutt from. The TMO put him in a corner, being adamant about the RC, and I don't think the view we saw was enough to definitely call anything.

The replay they showed as Ed was walking off showed Higgers on top head butting Ed clear as day. This should've been enough for the TMO to pick it up IMO.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The replay they showed as Ed was walking off showed Higgers on top head butting Ed clear as day. This should've been enough for the TMO to pick it up IMO.

But there was head contact before that too. So who butted first? Or not? I think it was not conclusive. The facial massage was never gonna fly.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Happy enough with that performance. Horwills comment was ridiculously stupid. The finger goes on the edge of the eye socket, then goes down. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets 10 weeks. Although 2 or 3 for Higgers may also result.

Otherwise, happy offensively, good overall defensively, but stupid penalties were almost our undoing.

Ah well. What can you do. The important thing is, Glasgow won.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Just finished watching a delayed recording of the match. The contentious points:

1. Checked the initial fracas between Higgers and EOD, I couldn't see any head butts in slo-mo. Looked like they both drove a shoulder into the other bloke's noggin, EOD first.
2. Checked EOD's face massage on slo-slo-mo very carefully, it doesn't look as if he was eye-gouging Higgers as there wasn't any movement of the fingers across the face. If EOD's hand got stuck on Higger's face he should've kept his fingers straight and we would've seen an open palm. However, a player should NEVER let his fingers contact an opponent's face in anger, other than accidently. EOD's going to go for a row here.
3. Much as I dislike unnecessary interruptions to the beautiful game of rugby it's difficult to accept when players get away with incidents like EOD's, some of which may/could affect an outcome. Would it've been better if EOD was cited tomorrow, found guilty next week and the Reds drew, or won, tonight's match? The long stoppage at the death tonight looked bloody ugly to me.
4. If officials are going to spend so much time poring over a past incident WTF can't they get the position on the field correct? Higgers and EOD started their cuddle on the T of the Asteron Life sign and finished on the O, on the Rebels side of the 22m line, but the penalty was awarded on the other side of the 22 near the Samsung sign. There was about 15m difference here, sloppy work by the TJ/ARs and the TMO. A kick from the correct spot had some degree of difficulty, where it ended up was a monte.

All in all the Rebels played well while the Reds performed poorly. It's probably no comfort to Reds supporters but it's encouraging for Australian rugby to see another of the minnows show some improvement.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I agree Cyclo I don't think there was enough evidence to call anything. But he did and we found a new way to lose. I'm sure we will see another week of Reds fan calling for the heads of everyone and a few "I told you so" post thrown in for good measure.

btw I said the Reds were crap in 2009. Yes you heard it here first!

Look! The sky is falling.

T

Train Without a Station

Couldn't agree more. Didn't show enough to either exonerate or prove guilt of anybody. In one still should it looked like there was a potential offence.

Anybody who says "oh he had his fingers near his eyes give him x weeks" get off your high horse and pull your head out of your asses. In the head of passion he used his palm against higgers face and one angle paused showed a potential offence. Anybody who can clearly as black and white hang EOD out to dry has obviously never played a game, or hid out on the wing avoiding any action.

If it's a gouge, see you in 2015 EOD and fair call. But let's see more than one slowed down angle.

M

Moono75

Sorry Reds fans but Horwill is a whinging b@tch. If you didnt have such a soft grip maybe you would have grounded that ball and got a try. Stop blaming the ref for what was the biggest facial manipulation since Nicole Kidmans 22nd botox injection to her forehead. Fark do we want him in the Wallabies. Kieran Reid would make him cry...and hes concussed.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
After reading the whinging that went on in here, I'm starting to think that I wasn't bad enough last week.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Couldn't agree more. Didn't show enough to either exonerate or prove guilt of anybody. In one still should it looked like there was a potential offence.

Anybody who says "oh he had his fingers near his eyes give him x weeks" get off your high horse and pull your head out of your asses. In the head of passion he used his palm against higgers face and one angle paused showed a potential offence. Anybody who can clearly as black and white hang EOD out to dry has obviously never played a game, or hid out on the wing avoiding any action.

If it's a gouge, see you in 2015 EOD and fair call. But let's see more than one slowed down angle.

So you would prefer McMahon to be penalised for doing nothing except pulling a bloke off his Captain? That also would have decided the outcome.

Reactions: Tex

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
But there was head contact before that too. So who butted first? Or not? I think it was not conclusive. The facial massage was never gonna fly.
It matters not. It just annoys me. Ed was already gone so whether he head butted first doesn't matter. Higgers got a good headbutt on Ed yet they didn't even want to look at it. I have no gripes about Ed going I just think if they want to call a play back like they did they should look at the whole incident. It should be all or nothing with the TMO.

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
In summary, I thought the Rebels deserved the win tonight. They played the better rugby, and the interplay between players was good when attacking. Lucas did well with ball in hand, but our defence was crap, and some of our basic skills are poor. Very disappointed to see the game finish the way it did - will wait for the outcome from judiciary and SANZAR. No crowd figure at game, the Rebels cheer squad of maybe 20 behind us were louder than the entire Reds crowd. Credit to them for supporting their team well. I'm trying to think of the changes needed, but will give it some time on the tractor.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The truly extraordinary new data point this week was from the QRU CEO in telling The Australian that, principally, calm was what was needed, RG would be staying and was 'signed on for a number of years' and further inferred there was little need for major change in the Reds' rugby department.

At least to me, it was remarkable that a leader in this position that has marketed hard to our fans and members with all manner of slogans re how great the team is, how well set up this team and RG was for 2014 etc, would not show some empathy with those same 35,000 odd paying members and offer some regrets, some anguish, some commitment to a a tough post-season analysis, some commitment to some unspecified hard changes to revive the Reds in 2015 and so on.

So far, with 3 wins from a 12 matches and a total collapse of the team's skills, attitude and delivery, we have a management team at the top of the QRU that seem to think we are experiencing a mere unfortunate 'blip' in the great post-2011 Reds that will largely be fixed by recruiting a few better players in 2015.

Ominous signs are thus appearing of delusion and arrogance. No mistakes will be admitted, no serious concerns will be offered up. Could these be the very same traits that underpinned the highly unusual and unexplained decision to recruit RG as the compelling answer the QRU's desire for a 'mature transition' from Link at the beginning of 2012?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I agree Cyclo I don't think there was enough evidence to call anything. But he did and we found a new way to lose. I'm sure we will see another week of Reds fan calling for the heads of everyone and a few "I told you so" post thrown in for good measure.

btw I said the Reds were crap in 2009. Yes you heard it here first!

Look! The sky is falling.

I told you so. Amongst a few others of the same persuasion.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It matters not. It just annoys me. Ed was already gone so whether he head butted first doesn't matter. Higgers got a good headbutt on Ed yet they didn't even want to look at it. I have no gripes about Ed going I just think if they want to call a play back like they did they should look at the whole incident. It should be all or nothing with the TMO.

I think it does matter. If a player clearly headbutted, it is relevant. If a player headbutted in retaliation, it is also relevant. If he cannot be sure anyone actually headbutted, and the TMO says it was a clear RC for gouging, the course of action is set. I'm not sure a headbutt by either player was clearly seen on the views I saw. I have not watched a replay yet.

Grand Master Flash

Bob McCowan (2)
I find it very rich that the reds are crying (almost literally) about the ref, I thought he was the only one keeping them in the game. How many times did the rebels have hands on the ball at rucks to either be ignored or penalised, and what of Higgers yellow. The Mcmahon penalty. The list goes on.

Steve Walsh was the reds best player, I have never seen a ref try so hard to not award a penalty when told of a problem by the TMO.

Well done Rebels, i thought you were clearly the better team on the night and deserved the victory.

Sad to see my second favourite team in such disarray. God help you when you pick up JOC (James O'Connor), not the answer to an obvious internal rot.

Kev has to have given up his wallaby jumper tonight, not only was he pretty poor on the field he was very poor of it and the only spot he had in the team was if he was captain. He isnt a good captain at the moment.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
How predictable.
Reds fans calling rough justice.
Non reds fans calling for lengthy suspensions.
Take of the goggles and see it for what it was.
Od roughed up higgers in the ruck and he was pissed. Retaliated with a "head butt" (so gentle it would have embarrassed a liverpudlian 3rd grader), this in turn made Od pissed, so he retaliated by trying to push his head through the pitch to china. Nothing in any of it. No damage done, no blood spilled. Both idiots for potentially costing their team the game.
No penalties, just bloody play on!!!!

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't get the decision to sign Richard Graham on for multiple years. He failed at the Force. So he's given a go at the Reds. Surely you'd either make it a 2 year contract (1 as assistant, 1 as head coach) or make it a contract with a get out clause if he totally fucks things up. It's not like you are about to lose him to all of those wonderful offers he is receiving from elsewhere.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If EOD gets pissed in rucks hanging around with Higgers I strongly suggest he do something about his drinking partners..... o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.