• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Sharks, Rnd 5 2020, Lang Park Sat 29 7:15 EDST

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Stewart could well end up in the 10 jersey. Pressure off at playing 12 seems to be doing wonders for him at this time. I wouldn’t rule out Stewart in the 10 jersey again. I would personally keep Hegarty at fullback and CFS (bring Filipo on depending on Sharks defence) on the wing but it doesn’t seem to be playing out that way. The team I nominated is the team I think the coaches will run with on the weekend. Your team would be great, especially if we could run 16 men on the field. Don’t think ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is a lock.

:D

rugbyontherange

Frank Nicholson (4)
Always a reader of the forums and have to have a good laugh at some of the comments but like must of the Reds fans, have been so proud of the boys. We are seeing great growth from last year, and i sure feel the ecstasy/agony of being a Reds fan watching the first three away games. However, I bounce back and can't wait for next weeks game.

Tough opposition this week, but am very hopeful to build on last week, with the home ground/supporters advantage (come on fans, get vocal) and a normal standard (read lack of bias) expected from the Refs.
Reds team are showing plenty to get excited about this year and great to see the boys developing in to the team that BT had the vision for.

The building of depth is crucial for successful teams and I absolutely see BT doing that with player rotation where possible. No point in going hard all year and then having an injury or 3 that brings you under finals standard. The games throughout the year are for bringing every player up to that Super Rugby level where possible and I def think that is what is happening when you see ASY (Angus Scott-Young) off last week. Just a chance to give his hard working legs a rest, I can't think of him having too much time off through last season followed by NRC. There will be another lock off this week (def's as they have some depth there) and having the flexibility of Lukhan playing Lock or 6 etc gives the team the opportunity to get fresh legs in the mix and allow other players to have some time on field. McReight back from injury allows a bit more depth from the bench and possible movement for ASY (Angus Scott-Young) to play No 8 to give Wilson a rest. That big lunatic lad can't go bull at a gate, as he has been for the whole season.

Personally I like Lukhan at 6 as he brings that extra ball running depth that ASY (Angus Scott-Young) doesn't have. Really like him as an addition to Wilson hitting it up from quick plays around the ruck. Love ASY (Angus Scott-Young)'s work rate in the tight stuff, but isn't effective on the hit ups around the ruck. They all bring something diff and its the coach's task to get the right balance on each week to match the opposition. Blythe has been an absolute workhorse in the tight stuff. Someone mentioned the smiling in a previous post, I reckon there is plenty of trash talk and niggle going on in the tight stuff and he is enjoying every minute of it. When he first came on from the bench in the Saffa game, he stole a line out, stole the ball from their attacking ruck, did some tackles that cause the ball to be knocked on and had some carries. Not really getting the comment about giving away penalties. He has good tracking of the ball and so is very effective in clearing out (sense of timing and actually getting the defenders off the ball) which allows faster ball play for McDermott and gives more room to the backline. That quick ball movement is something we have seen recently since Blythe has had more game time. His ball running has improved and as the faster ball comes, the breaks come, and Blyth is often the first man there, he has surprising mobility for a big lad. The Rodda/Blythe combo is in the mix of "true locks" and for an ex Lock as a coach, I am sure that BT is seeing a lot to like in the way Blythe and Rodda are playing together. I have had other coaches say similar things about this combo and a preference for "true Lock" style play, which is effective ruck ball all game. Lukhan being a 6, plays a lot looser due to his great running game, as does Hockings, not so much for his running, but he doesn't have the same size and impact that Blythe has at the breakdown. Hockings brings a great confidence to line out calling, something that Rodda seems to struggle with under pressure, but having said that, the line out improved last week. Wilson whilst a great ball carrier (and credit to him, has adapted his "chuck and hope" play), still is off his timing at the breakdown because his natural sense is to be there for an offload. So you will often see him run past the ruck and is not there for clearing out, which buggers the quick ball. Its a natural instinct for him as he has always played that lose running game. The quick and efficient clearing out that gives Tate the quick ball is crucial to the backs getting opportunity with space and not part of the game that everyone sees.
BT has said he considers all 4 locks of equal standard, so what a luxury for him as a coach to have.....so whilst we all have our own opinions based on our experiences, I am sure the Lock combo, whatever it is each week, is one thing BT has well and truly got covered.

Like most who have commented, I look forward to seeing a bit more depth on the front row bench. Great to see Hoopert back, love the injection of energy he brings off the bench. Playing the front row for the majority of the game last week, was a necessity, as we have seen the slide in the back half of the first three games when the front row bench comes on. In fairness to the young guys coming on, tough opposition in the front rows from Sth African and Jaguares teams. Clearly a step up they were not ready for. Def benefits to the front row at scrum time, having the power of the Rodda/Blythe combo behind them in scrums, to take that extra load through the 80 mins.

Looking forward to Dauganau back in the mix, he is an explosive attacking player and I'm sure the suspension has given him some reflection time on tackle technique. Absolutely no benefit to the team to have him not playing and getting match fit. One injury to Henry, CFS or Jock and we are in trouble, so Dauganau needs to be brought back in the mix, and i expect that will be off the bench at some stage soon. Love seeing Jock mix it from wing to fullback. He is a great defender and is gaining confidence with his carries every week. I am a huge Zaccy Lucas fan but am happy for BT to give the lad some time. Not a fan of him at full back as his height is a prob for the high ball and he is better suited for quick darting runs around sleeping forwards. Those opportunities don't happen from the fullback position. Just my opinion, but we have all watched what happens when players are thrown in too early and the 10 spot is so crucial with so much pressure. One bad game and everyone on these forum grabs their beating sticks so lets allow the coaches to give the players time as they see it. They are with the players day in and day out so slower development is better for some than a quick rise and fall. I think the coaches know the mind set of the players and give them opportunity in a positive way, without saying we don't think you are good enough. So happy to see Hamish Stewart finding his feet and love of the game. His defence is so solid and he has a great offload and game sense. He know has the ball players around him to "give it and get it", so love watching him get his groove back.
Great to see the backs in general give the ball some real razzmatazz last week and in the first half of the Jaguares game. Getting that quick ball, gives them space and we are starting to see the wonderful plays backline plays again we were given promises of, during the early season trial games.

Bring it on this week boys.
Being Wednesday, team announcements will be out soon enough, going to trust in the Coaching teams decision to get the combos right to meet the opposition, the need for a win, and whole squad goals for not only this week, but the weeks to come.
GO REDS!!!!!!!!!

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I see Wolfmother are playing at Suncorp this weekend as part of the entertainment. I was going to make a silly comment about how old and out of the spotlight they are these days, but I figure the Reds probably haven't made any new fans since Wolfmother were relevant so probably fits the demographic.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
FWIW I would probably run out this 23 for the weekend.

1. Smith
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
7. Wright
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. O’Connor
11. Speight
12. Stewart
13. Paisami
14. CFS
15. Campbell

16. Craig
17. Hoopert
18. Nasser
19. Blythe
20. McReight
21. Malolua
22. Hegarty
23. Daugunu

I'd keep the tight 5 on as long as possible. Bring on the front row bench as fatigue requires and no earlier unless the Sharks scrum is weaker than expected. The most fatigued of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Rodda off with 20 to go, unless they are killing it and then game is in the balance then I would keep them on. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) to start and empty the tank over the first 50 mins, hit every ruck and tackle he can. Replace with McReight with 30 to go.

I'd bring Daugunu on at the same time as McReight for whichever wing is having least impact. Malolua and Hegerty to come on as required/form dependent.

Fresh legs running at the sharks in the last 30 of their roadtrip should result in meters made.

Reds by 12.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
@Purce

I think purely because this one will be a close run thin and REALLY we need this win to stay in touch with the Brumbies. I'd tend to go with Hegarty starting at 15 because of his goal kicking, for one of CFS or Campbell (would you pull Speight back maybe?). I'd probably pull back on Campbell (I'm pretty sure I had it the other way around last night!) because he'll light a fire in attack more than CFS would and he's more versitile. And upon reflection I'd tend to agree with you regarding McReight, but a part of me wonders what he'd be able to do over 60-70 after seeing him go VERY hard for 30 against the Sunwolves.

Agree completely with Daugunu having to come in late in the game, and I do worry if you have both Daugunu and Campbell on the bench is that too much like for like, but on the flip side two fresh, fast footed, elusive strike weapons coming in late in a close one sounds like a good way to turn a narrow win into a winning bonus point win... But it's probably not the way to close out a tough fought game.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Campbell has been fundamental to the Reds attack from fullback the last 2 games, don't see him been dropped, played much better at fullback then Hegarty IMO.

Sharks play pretty loose in attack and counter-attack off turnover ball pretty aggressively, they're an interesting team in that they have a pretty poor set-piece and will miss a lot of tackles, but make up for it with their attack.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Wolfmother? That before the game? In have not seen entertainment at the Reds for a few years, they had those hip-hop dancers for a few years and the raunchy cheer leaders a few years before that, and they had drummers.

Sucks I am going to miss this weekend. I got tickets with Mrs redstragic to see the Hunters at Bribie. I can't see me watching the Reds on my phone while H&C are belting out the hits of my youth.....if Wolfmother were on, yeah, I'd be watching the game on my phone.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Wolfmother? That before the game? In have not seen entertainment at the Reds for a few years, they had those hip-hop dancers for a few years and the raunchy cheer leaders a few years before that, and they had drummers.

Sucks I am going to miss this weekend. I got tickets with Mrs redstragic to see the Hunters at Bribie. I can't see me watching the Reds on my phone while H&C are belting out the hits of my youth...if Wolfmother were on, yeah, I'd be watching the game on my phone.
Mate I’ll be at Hunters too. I’m sure the wifey bought the tickets just so I would miss the Reds game. I have even tried to tell he to take a friend so that she would have more fun. Didn’t work. I’ll be checking in on my phone to see the score.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
@Adam84 I do agree, Campbell has been very good for us, but he's a 60% goal kicker at best... Hegarty on the other hand is a 90% kicker... And CFS will be really important to our defense. But that's a decision that coaching will have to make.

A: Attack (Campbell)
B: Goals (Hegarty)
C: Defense (CFS)

Pick two.

B

Bobby Sands

@Adam84 I do agree, Campbell has been very good for us, but he's a 60% goal kicker at best. Hegarty on the other hand is a 90% kicker. And CFS will be really important to our defense. But that's a decision that coaching will have to make.

A: Attack (Campbell)
B: Goals (Hegarty)
C: Defense (CFS)

Pick two.

Correct - but you’ve undersold Christopher here in your code matrix!

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I see Wolfmother are playing at Suncorp this weekend as part of the entertainment. I was going to make a silly comment about how old and out of the spotlight they are these days, but I figure the Reds probably haven't made any new fans since Wolfmother were relevant so probably fits the demographic.

It's kind of cool if you ask me. Andrew Stockdale (guitarist/singer) used to live up the road from Lang Park in Paddington. So in my eyes, he's a local boy even if he originally comes from Sydney.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
@Ignoto oh yeh don't get me wrong, I love Wolfmother, I fall into the right age bracket to remember them at their peak. I actually got a 'selfie' with Andrew before they were even called selfies back in 2007 (must have been one of the first camera phones I guess)...I accosted him buying sushi in the Myer Centre.

rugbyfan90

Chris McKivat (8)
1. JP Smith – GPS
2. Alex Mafi – Bond University
3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
4. Izack Rodda – Easts
5. Harry Hockings – University of Queensland
6. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
7. Liam Wright © – Easts
8. Harry Wilson – Brothers
9. Tate McDermott – University of Queensland
10. James O’Connor – Brothers
11. Henry Speight – Bond University
12. Hamish Stewart – Brothers
13. Hunter Paisami – Wests
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia – Souths
15. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland

16. Ed Craig – TBC
17. Harry Hoopert – Brothers
18. Josh Nasser – University of Queensland
19. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto – Souths
20. Fraser McReight – Brothers
21. Scott Malolua – GPS
22. Isaac Lucas – Sunnybank
23. Filipo Daugunu – Wests

rugbyfan90

Chris McKivat (8)
5. Harry Hockings – University of Queensland
6. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
7. Liam Wright © – Easts

19. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto – Souths
20. Fraser McReight – Brothers
21. Scott Malolua – GPS
22. Isaac Lucas – Sunnybank
23. Filipo Daugunu – Wests

Blyth left out of the 23, Hockings back in the XV.

Lukhan on the bench and Filipo is back.

Interesting :D

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Pretty happy with that starting XV. As most predicted Daugunu eased back in via the bench. Would rather LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or McReight starting ahead of ASY (Angus Scott-Young). But happy for ASY (Angus Scott-Young) to soak up the heavy traffic for a bit then let LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) & McReight on against tired bodies.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Interesting to see Salakai-Loto on the bench, don't hate it though. He'll be able to come on in the second half and absolutely rip in. Inject Lucas, Daugunu and McReight around the same time and as long as the score is close we should be able to blitz (a probably tyring) sharks and take the game away from them.

Hegarty and Blythe are unlucky, but that's sort of what we want to see - good players missing the side each week because there are players demanding selection across the park.