• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Sharks, Rnd 5 2020, Lang Park Sat 29 7:15 EDST

B

Bobby Sands

I attended the captain's run of the Wallabies vs Samoa test last year. JOC (James O'Connor) was one of the three players doing goal kicking practice at the end of the session.

I would be surprised if he wasn't doing any goal kicking at the Reds.

Hes a very natural striker of the ball, I would say it must be a workload thing or precautionary to prevent injuries he may have had in the past. We all know he can kick goals.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I thought it had been reported a couple of weeks ago that JOC (James O'Connor) had some sort of minor injury/niggle that could be exacerbated by goal kicking. Could be wrong of course.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I'm okay with us losing the game on the basis of kicking (I hope the Reds are). Campbell, Daugunu, Stewart and O'Connor are all quality goal kickers - they should all be kicking around 70%. I don't think there will be too much difference between any of them. But keep in mind Campbell didn't exactly have the easiest kicks last weekend.

I'd tend to keep O'Connnor from regularly kicking considering he's still adapting to playing Flyhalf, but as a replacement or for the odd kick let him rip. As for Stewart, if/when we get some other options at 12 I'd tend to keep him focusing on his game there. Same for Lucas keep the pressure off him while he adapts to Super Rugby. That leaves Hegarty, Campbell and Daugunu, I'm happy for any of them to kick goals it'd probably be in a similar order, maybe Daugunu is above Campbell, but either way Campbell and Daugunu are a step down from Hegarty.

It's just too bad about Tuttle...

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Oh, yeah I agree Tuttle wouldn't be in over McDermott, but hell of a player to bring in to close out a close game.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
@Purce

I think purely because this one will be a close run thin and REALLY we need this win to stay in touch with the Brumbies. I'd tend to go with Hegarty starting at 15 because of his goal kicking, for one of CFS or Campbell (would you pull Speight back maybe?). I'd probably pull back on Campbell (I'm pretty sure I had it the other way around last night!) because he'll light a fire in attack more than CFS would and he's more versitile. And upon reflection I'd tend to agree with you regarding McReight, but a part of me wonders what he'd be able to do over 60-70 after seeing him go VERY hard for 30 against the Sunwolves.

Agree completely with Daugunu having to come in late in the game, and I do worry if you have both Daugunu and Campbell on the bench is that too much like for like, but on the flip side two fresh, fast footed, elusive strike weapons coming in late in a close one sounds like a good way to turn a narrow win into a winning bonus point win. But it's probably not the way to close out a tough fought game.

All valid points mate. I just think that Campbell is adding soo much to the Reds attack at the moment that he cannot be left out of the 15. I think his kicking will improve as he is a student of the game.

I am also a believer of players being eased back after injury so McReight falls into that category for me. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has had a week off and should be very fresh, his bigger body should help at the start of the game. I also like his leadership.

The beauty of having some legit depth is the ability to custom game plans/teams to individual teams. I am loving the fact that, as fans, we can have legitimate discussions about the team each week.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Sharks side to face Reds
1 Ox Nche
2 Kerron van Vuuren
3 Thomas du Toit
4 Ruben van Heerden
5 Hyron Andrews
6 Dylan Richardson
7 Henco Venter
8 Sikhumbuzo Notshe

9 Louis Schreuder
10 Curwin Bosch
11 Lwazi Mvovo
12 Andre Esterhuizen
13 Lukhanyo Am (c)
14 Madosh Tambwe
15 Aphelele Fassi

16 Craig Burden
17 Juan Schoeman
18 John-Hubert Meyer
19 Le Roux Roets
20 Phepsi Buthelezi
21 Sanele Nohamba
22 Marius Louw
23 Jeremy Ward

OUT: Makazole Mapimpi, Tyler Paul, and James Venter

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Sharks side to face Reds
1 Ox Nche
2 Kerron van Vuuren
3 Thomas du Toit
4 Ruben van Heerden
5 Hyron Andrews
6 Dylan Richardson
7 Henco Venter
8 Sikhumbuzo Notshe

9 Louis Schreuder
10 Curwin Bosch
11 Lwazi Mvovo
12 Andre Esterhuizen
13 Lukhanyo Am (c)
14 Madosh Tambwe
15 Aphelele Fassi

16 Craig Burden
17 Juan Schoeman
18 John-Hubert Meyer
19 Le Roux Roets
20 Phepsi Buthelezi
21 Sanele Nohamba
22 Marius Louw
23 Jeremy Ward

OUT: Makazole Mapimpi, Tyler Paul, and James Venter
Reduce Schreuder, contain Bosch and humiliate Am in the backs then it all falls apart. In the forwards, you only need to laugh and push harder. Wilson’s character has that covered.

Reactions: dru

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think with O'Connor and Stewart at 10/12 we should be able to control or at least pressure Bosch, Esterhuizen and Am and prevent them form getting clean ball out wider.

Not sure how the packs will go, how has the Sharks scrum looked?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I think with O'Connor and Stewart at 10/12 we should be able to control or at least pressure Bosch, Esterhuizen and Am and prevent them form getting clean ball out wider.

Not sure how the packs will go, how has the Sharks scrum looked?
If Tate is on top of Schreuder continuously and doesn’t allow a quick clean ball to Bosch then he is under pressure and struggles. Bosch is a quality player but needs room for quality passes and off loads. Take that away and he moves back to a defensive game, which we need to force that position within the first 15 minutes of the game. Paisami will be great against Am. Looking forward to that hit up. I reckon our boys up front will surprise themselves against this SA scrum. We all know JP will have the motivation to make his mark. Huge confidence in coming away with the BIG W.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Ox Nche has to be one of the better prop names in world rugby at the moment.

Out of interest, how do you pronounce that surname? I'd guess it's 'ni-ch' but I've honestly got no idea.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ox Nche has to be one of the better prop names in world rugby at the moment.

Out of interest, how do you pronounce that surname? I'd guess it's 'ni-ch' but I've honestly got no idea.

Assuming the commentators are getting it close to correct, it is Not-shay.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Interesting to see last weeks wins impact on crowd sizes. Would have to be more this week.
Sad thing is - 20k would be an unbelievable result. In 2012 - 20k would also have been unbelievable...
It won't take much if they can get a few wins together - 2010 saw the band wagon fill up pretty quick

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Well the Reds vs Bulls is now apparently getting the Sunwolves vs Crusaders as a double header, so that'll probably be our high water mark for the season, I'd expect that to pull 20k maybe 25k. This game I'd think should be close to 15k.