• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs in Townsville

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
This one's going to be a tight one I think. Both coming off good wins, not much between the two sides and important game for both in the context of the season. If both teams show up, should be a good one.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Not expecting too much change to the Tahs line up after Shute Shield teams announced. Still time for changes if needed.

Good to see Holtz starting for Easts this week v Sydney Uni. Bowen, Wilson, Tuipolotu also named for Easts. Dowling named for Randwick. Only one I can think of is Hunter Ward not named for Manly. Did start at 7 v the Blues.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
A Reds win here pretty much guarantees them a finals spot, a win for the tahs goes a fair way to it for them too. Whichever team wins will likely also gain a good bit of breathing room from the other teams in the lower half of the comp - Highlanders, Rebels, Force and Drua are all playing teams in the top 5 this week and are going to be up against it for a win.

From a reds perspective I'm hoping we see a side like this:

1 Fa'agase
2 Faessler
3 Nonggorr
4 Smith
5 Vest
6 Wright
7 McReight
8 Wilson
9 McDermott
10 Creighton
11 Petaia
12 O'Connor
13 Flook
14 Vunivalu
15 Campbell

16 Asiata
17 Blake
18 Ravai
19 Blyth
20 Uru
21 Thomas
22 Lynagh
23 Henry/Daugunu (depending on fitness)

Not too many changes, mostly just getting locks on to start and bring Uru on into the back row for the last ~30 - give him a chance to rip in in his preferred position. In the backs Campbell back to fullback and Petaia wing, otherwise the playmaker setup has worked well enough to continue with. 23 jersey a bit dependant on availability but could just as easily go with Grealy or Annan.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
A Reds win here pretty much guarantees them a finals spot, a win for the tahs goes a fair way to it for them too. Whichever team wins will likely also gain a good bit of breathing room from the other teams in the lower half of the comp - Highlanders, Rebels, Force and Drua are all playing teams in the top 5 this week and are going to be up against it for a win.

From a reds perspective I'm hoping we see a side like this:

1 Fa'agase
2 Faessler
3 Nonggorr
4 Smith
5 Vest
6 Wright
7 McReight
8 Wilson
9 McDermott
10 Creighton
11 Petaia
12 O'Connor
13 Flook
14 Vunivalu
15 Campbell

16 Asiata
17 Blake
18 Ravai
19 Blyth
20 Uru
21 Thomas
22 Lynagh
23 Henry/Daugunu (depending on fitness)

Not too many changes, mostly just getting locks on to start and bring Uru on into the back row for the last ~30 - give him a chance to rip in in his preferred position. In the backs Campbell back to fullback and Petaia wing, otherwise the playmaker setup has worked well enough to continue with. 23 jersey a bit dependant on availability but could just as easily go with Grealy or Annan.
This is the side I'd be picking. I'm loving the dog that Vest is bringing and I prefer Uru to play off the bench in the backrow. Backline pretty much picks itself and you're right about 23 just being a toss up between whoever is fit. Daugunu would be my pick though.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
From the injury list published last week by the Tahs, it's only Harry Wilson and Tane Edmed who could be back this week, and Edmed was listed as week 11+ for return. I'd love to see Edmed back, and I reckon Donaldson needs to take a step back to regain confidence, but I suspect we'd have heard about a possible Edmed return already if it was going to happen.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Paisami must be getting close to being back too (I think it was initially 5 weeks or something from when he injured his knee which would've been round 5). Much needed fire power in the midfield would bolster the Reds in attack and defence.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Paisami must be getting close to being back too (I think it was initially 5 weeks or something from when he injured his knee which would've been round 5). Much needed fire power in the midfield would bolster the Reds in attack and defence.
Not sure I'd say much needed - JOC (James O'Connor) and Flook have been very strong on both attack and defence. I really wouldn't be upset seeing 10. Lynagh 12. O'Connor 13. Flook this weekend, even if Paisami is available

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From the injury list published last week by the Tahs, it's only Harry Wilson and Tane Edmed who could be back this week, and Edmed was listed as week 11+ for return. I'd love to see Edmed back, and I reckon Donaldson needs to take a step back to regain confidence, but I suspect we'd have heard about a possible Edmed return already if it was going to happen.

Ned Hanigan will hopefully be back this week. It will be pretty worrying if he isn't.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Ned Hanigan will hopefully be back this week. It will be pretty worrying if he isn't.
Pretty sure I read they are holding him another week out of an abundance of caution, given it's his second or third concussion this year.

Edit: it was here -
Ned Hanigan is still sidelined as the team takes a cautious approach to a recent head knock, and Tane Edmed’s return from a stress fracture in his back has not been given a concrete timeline.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Pretty sure I read they are holding him another week out of an abundance of caution, given it's his second or third concussion this year.

I guess we'll see. The wording is a bit confusing but I'm not sure Coleman and the Tahs would have been ruling out players for the following week in quotes given for an article that came out on Sunday.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So Bowen definitely isn’t playing. Let’s hope Edmed is fit, Donaldson needs a spell.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
So Bowen definitely isn’t playing. Let’s hope Edmed is fit, Donaldson needs a spell.
Bowen, Dowling, Tuipolotu named in the Shute Shield line ups but no Edmed for Eastwood so if he's available I'd assume he might come onto the bench. Would surprise me to see him start straight away as much as I'd like to see it.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Not sure I'd say much needed - JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Flook have been very strong on both attack and defence. I really wouldn't be upset seeing 10. Lynagh 12. O'Connor 13. Flook this weekend, even if Paisami is available
I would like to see Lynagh start over Creighton. Points will be at a premium and Lynagh is by far the best goal kicker. I also like how he directs the team around in general play.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not sure I'd say much needed - JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Flook have been very strong on both attack and defence. I really wouldn't be upset seeing 10. Lynagh 12. O'Connor 13. Flook this weekend, even if Paisami is available
I'd have JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 and Paisami at 12 (if available), especially with Izaia Perese as the likely opposing 13. I can see the benefits of playing Lynagh/Creighton at 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 12, but the Reds need genuine go-forward hard running ball carriers in the tight, especially to take the load off players like Wilson. Flook has pace, high work-rate off the ball, and is good defensively in the wider channels, but not a ball carrying threat who can bend the line.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Bowen, Dowling, Tuipolotu named in the Shute Shield line ups but no Edmed for Eastwood so if he's available I'd assume he might come onto the bench. Would surprise me to see him start straight away as much as I'd like to see it.

Does this really matter?

Do the Shute Shield teams really know players are going to be available well before the side is announced or are they just going on the basis that they probably will be available?

Does anyone know the club rugby training schedule? Shute Shield teams were announced yesterday. Do they train on Tuesday or Wednesday night and those players would have already been told they could attend training because they aren't likely to be in the Tahs 23 so they have let their clubs know?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Grain of salt.

They had been pretty accurate in previous weeks/best way to speculate over the team before the Tahs announce their line up. I'd kept an eye on Gordon and Easts to see if Goddard or Wilson was named for either team. Late injuries and pull outs happen and I know.