• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs, rd2 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Except Roff was a far better rugby player, won a world cup, Tom Richards Trophy, and a couple of super rugby titles. If you reread my post, I said Tuquiri wasn't a great which he wasn't and left the game in disgrace. For the record, Roff scored 57 tries in super rugby and often played full back. I believe he still holds the record for most tries in a season.

I would loved to have been as 'shit' a Wallaby as Lote.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Did Tiquiri really leave the game in disgrace?
I'm sure we have all heard rumours (maybe even the rumour) but was his departure any more than a reflection of the fact that he flouted JON's control?
The only "disgrace" was the way he was treated. As I heard it the ostensible reason was something relating to his private life. I wonder what would emerge from full scrutiny of the private lives of those who decided to tear up his contract.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I tipped agaisnt the Reds last week but I think they can bounce back this week. the game is Canberra was always going to be hard and the Reds didn't handle it well. The Reds are always tough to beat at Suncorp and with the crowd behind them i think they'll handle things much better.

I'm expecting big things from Folau this year. But this will be a tough initiation.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The Reds will have the advantages of:
  • the Cauldron (home ground advantage)
  • better match fitness
  • more motivation after a loss
The Waratahs advantages are:
  • a virtual wallaby pack
  • new players in Falui & Hooper
I think from the above, that the Reds will win. One of my reasons is that I noticed last year, at the early stage of Super 15 games, the international players from all three countries were just not fully motivated playing at the lower level, and this will go against the Waratahs.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
For pure motivation, the Tahs will be desperate as ever to kick off this new season with a win. They will be all too aware that their fans will not take a season like last year and will turn on them very quickly. They (as do all teams) need their fans right behind them and will know the absolute importance of getting off to a winning start this year. There's some serious motivation right there.

The Reds will also have all the motivation they need; first home game, poor loss/performance last week, can't afford to start the season 0/2 etc.

Converting motivation into points however? There's the challenge!

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I think that the Tahs pack can bully the Reds upfront, and can target the set piece. Without Horwill and Higginbotham the Reds back looks a bit callow. Genia is a huge loss as well, he is the heartbeat of the team I've yet to see the Reds really perform when he isn't there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From the Reds perspective, they need Cooper to be far more involved in this match.

He was alright against the Brumbies but all his best involvements were in the last 20 minutes when the match was essentially out of reach.

A lot of that was due to the Brumbies defending so well, but Cooper has to chance his arm earlier in the game if the Reds are struggling to make much headway.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
From the Reds perspective, they need Cooper to be far more involved in this match.

He was alright against the Brumbies but all his best involvements were in the last 20 minutes when the match was essentially out of reach.

A lot of that was due to the Brumbies defending so well, but Cooper has to chance his arm earlier in the game if the Reds are struggling to make much headway.

I know he likes to work his way into the game but to me it seemed like on Saturday he was waiting for the forwards to assert some form of dominance on the game. It seemed that he wanted to win the arm wrestle up front before taking it to the backs but around the 55 minute mark he realised that the forwards aren't going to give him the thrust he needs so he had to act.

Reds need to include some real staunch in the pack for the weekend.....that's why I think O'donoghue is a must.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I think part of the reason that the Reds looked a bit better in the back end of the game was Lance coming on and Pocock going off at around the 70 min mark. Those two subs changed the dynamic of the game greatly!

As for the bullying the Reds part, yes the Tahs probably can. As they have the personnel and the ability, but actually doing it will be a different proposition. What the Brumbies did to us last week was something special I feel. It took every member of the pack to be firing and all working perfectly together. It was a very well executed plan. It looked easy when they were doing it in reality there was nothing easy about it.

You can expect the contact battle to be huge but I think the Reds will be ready for it and will be better for last weeks experience. My view on the breakdown last week was almost a tunnel vision approach to the breakdown on the Brumbies ball. On their ball we were so fast to the break down and all over their ball. But on our own it was like we forgot that this was also a priority. Then two things happened. The ref clamped down: The Brumbies adjusted (sort of) and we didn't. This stuff can be fixed in a week.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I think that the Tahs pack can bully the Reds upfront, and can target the set piece. Without Horwill and Higginbotham the Reds back looks a bit callow. Genia is a huge loss as well, he is the heartbeat of the team I've yet to see the Reds really perform when he isn't there.

Not so sure about this. Not saying they aren't a better pack but they will not be bullying many sides.

Tahs
- Robinson and Kepu aren't the bullying type
- neither is Douglas or Dennis but they will be very solid in the tight stuff
- Timani & TPN can bully sides if they are having a good day,
- Palu - yes but when was the last time he bullied a team? Still danger running though
- Hooper will be very dangerous running close to the ruck but won't bully many people

For the Reds
- I expect Slipper will be better and Holmes was as queit as he has been for some time, Hanson will improve things. I think the front row edge goes to the Reds around the park, Tahs at set piece but expect it to be closer than past years.
- Horwill is obviously a huge loss so i will give the Tahs locks the edge.
- Quirk & Gill were very good, different strengths to the Tahs backrow that have a better running game. Hopefully Shatz is closer to his best but like i said, two very different backrows. Be interesting to see it play out.

Reds backs will be a lot better for the run and should look to assert themselves sooner. More direct running from Finger will make things a bit more difficult to defend while bolstering the backs defence. Toua and Taps were always going sideways which became very easy for the Brumbies centres to cover. A new halves pairing won't help the Tahs so hopefully Quirk can be a nuisance.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
The Reds will have the advantages of:
  • the Cauldron (home ground advantage)
  • better match fitness
  • more motivation after a loss
The Waratahs advantages are:

• a virtual wallaby pack
  • new players in Falui & Hooper

• better match fitness? We played the Crusaders last week? Not a bad way to prep for a Super Rugby Season. If you read any article or comment from rugby experts, they all say the same thing. The Tah's are bloody fit. I don't think fitness will be an issue
  • motivation after a loss? Tah's lost last week too. Plus they are coming off a 8 game losing streak from 2012.
Tah's to be too determined to win. The way Chieka is running the Tah's from all accounts is that everyone is fighting for positions. Guys will want to impress the new coach in the opening game of the season.

Tah's by 8....

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The way Chieka is running the Tah's from all accounts is that everyone is fighting for positions. Guys will want to impress the new coach in the opening game of the season.

I reckon it's the same at the Reds. There is actually a lot of similarities between the two franchises this year which is sort of a bugger - it makes it harder to hate the Tahs!

The Tahs have an exciting prospect about them this year and an energy that has been missing for some time. The worry is that after last year, this confidence and energy will still be in their fledgling stage and completely untested. If they don't fire straight up then it could be stifled, maybe even crushed before they begin. The Aus conference needs the Tahs to be doing well. A very strong Brumbies, Reds and Tahs will only do wonders for us come finals time.

In saying that, I hope we put a cricket score on your boys! :D

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
COMBATIVE Michael Cheika is inciting his NSW Waratahs to start hating Queensland again and the more Suncorp Stadium turns snakepit on Saturday night, the better.

These QLD and NSW match up really bring out my Hatred Towards Waratahs Rugby. Cant wait for Saturday,

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I pick the Tahs for the simple reason that it's Cheika's first game and he will have them worked into a frenzy. And god knows how long it has been since we have seen a near strength Tah team.

Based on what I saw of the Reds pack last weekend, the Tahs will hand them a proper beating unless they grow plenty of angry real quick. And I am not referring to Finger and Simmons entering the ruck from the side after the whistle to push and shove.

Having said that the Reds have struggled up-front in the past and still found ways to win. Only then they had Genia around to pull off freaky shit. It's up to Cooper now more than ever.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Tahs forwards have been prone over the last couple of years to look like there are going through the motions too often.

Hopefully Cheika can put some fire and "want to bleed for eachother" in their bellies

Status
Not open for further replies.