• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs - Roma Festival of Rugby 10 Feb

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not sure what to make of this from the tahs and DC.

Still way too much shitty out he back plays meaning we don't get across the gain line. Defence on the edges collapses as soon as they need to defend going wide. No on balling.

Gordon means we don't get enough LQB. Edmed does not take on the line enough. Over complicated line out moves getting picked off.

Pretty long season ahead.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The Reds look very sharp in attack. A real Irish influence by the looks of it. Very energetic. Can’t say the same thing about the Waratahs. Their attack looks aimless. Too much kicking away of possession. Edmed has a great boot but offers absolutely nothing in attack. Never threatens the line. Feel for Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase). Has hardly touched the ball. Could be a long year for him and the outside backs.
I am feeling sorry for a playmaker outside Gordon. I’m ready to see someone else there. Won’t happen immediately I know.

One positive from both sides has been the in play kicking. Plenty of distance throughout the sides

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

Still way too much shitty out he back plays meaning we don't get across the gain line. Defence on the edges collapses as soon as they need to defend going wide. No on balling.

Gordon means we don't get enough LQB. Edmed does not take on the line enough. Over complicated line out moves getting picked off.

I feel like we have the squad to perform so much better than this. Feel less than the sum of our parts at the moment. It's hard to excuse as its hard to see us trying anything unique that we're trying to bed in.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I am feeling sorry for a playmaker outside Gordon. I’m ready to see someone else there. Won’t happen immediately I know.

One positive from both sides has been the in play kicking. Plenty of distance throughout the sides
Gordon's slow start last year was a big part of the tahs issues in the early season, even if Donaldson's equally poor form meant it didn't get as much notice. If he starts slow again this year it might be Coleman that wears the consequences.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thanks Santos - great to see country rugby.

Reds were on fire in the first half, Tahs pulled them up in the second. Plenty of work ons but plenty to like and definite improvement from last week.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Thanks Santos - great to see country rugby.

Reds were on fire in the first half, Tahs pulled them up in the second. Plenty of work ons but plenty to like and definite improvement from last week.
I'd be much happier if I was a Reds supporter. Agree, not all where you'd like it, but much to be happy about for you lot.

Reactions: dru

Hippo

Frank Nicholson (4)

Yep, a concern the only points came from a penalty try

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Great hit out for the Reds, very impressed with how we held our shape in both attack and defence over the 80 with plenty of changes. Scrum needs some work but there are options there. A little worried we were never challenged with ball in hand, there wasn't much requirement to play territory or tactics tonight.

Not many positives for the tahs beyond a few individuals like Bell. They'll be thankful for the extra trial they've booked in but with the draw they've got they'll need to find something quick. A heavy training load might explain the passive defence, but with their only points coming from a reds error/penalty try there have to be worries about their attack. Perese returning might add some sting and create opportunities though

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Second half no where near as fluent as the first, but still plenty to like.

Last week I thought the Reds backrow were off their game. Big bounce back this week - McReight in particular excellent.

Last week I thought you could see the intent in the Reds attack, but execution was way too loose. This week I thought the options as to when to stay direct and when to pull the trigger was pretty spot on.

Overall pretty happy - scrum certainly needs to improve but plenty of positives out of trial two. Plenty of people putting their hands up for selection.

Last edited:

Filipo Daugunu

Peter Burge (5)
Only positives for Tahs. Angus Bell at scrum-time, and the young replacement hooker Theo Fourie, who I thought carried well and scrummed well.

Ranga-Richo

Bob McCowan (2)
On paper Waratahs had the team to be able to breeze through to a contestable win. However, it seems the team absolutely fears contact, both in ruck and in open play. Every attack looked pre planned from training, with no ability to look up and adjust tactics based on what’s in front of them. Thought both bell and teddy Wilson looked capable, but without greater levels of physicality from the full squad, the Waratahs are in for a long season.