• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Blues, Suncorp Stadium, 2011R13

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Aww shucks....thanks Hawko :)

As a hard-core Blues fan, there were some frustrating things in the game last night - Brett in particular had me pulling my hair out and then Ali Williams quick tap and isolating himself.....some decision-making that just wasn't sharp. A couple of breaks down the wing where Ranger should have been given the ball to go one-on-one with QC (Quade Cooper)....I could see the ball carriers wanting to draw the defense before giving the pass but in considering who was marking who, I would have given it early and let Ranger do his usual.

Rokocoko simply isn't the player he used to be. I've thought it for a couple of years now and each game this year I keep hoping that he'll somehow get back to it but it isn't happening. Losing Stanley early was also a bit of a set-back I think because he is a good option taker and makes good decisions. He runs the ball hard and makes some big hits....kinda like an A Faainga actually.

Still, to lose with 2 bonus points and have guys like Kaino sitting on the side-line...again, I'm pretty up-beat about the business end of
the season....
your team are excellent but I am going to go against most guys opinion and side with Reds Happy. Please give credit where it's due rather than throw up excuses as to why the Blues didn't win. Quite simply the Reds were the better side on the night.

You've been summarily dismissive of the Reds all season and I clearly remember you posting that they would be exposed when they played good NZ teams.

Wrong!

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think it's a great win for the Reds they've had a very long stint between byes & ever since doing the triple over the Stormers, Bulls & Waratahs they've looked pretty beat up & tired.
The Blues were always going to have their moments of long sustained pressure & credit to the Blues for the comeback they've got classy players all over the park who can cut you up at any given moment.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Really? You think there are THP's heaps better than Slipper week in week out??

as being a THP at scrum time? sure, but slipper is nice and mobile, and with a decent scrummaging LHP & Hooker he will be fine.

T

Tank

its funny you know - I think Slipper is a handy scrummaging prop - sure maybe not the best but handy. I agree he had an off night and got shown up a bit but usually I think he is pretty good at scrummaging and more than holds his own - around the field he is immense.

Kepu is obviously having a good year and that is great for Aus rugby.

IMHO Slipper is still our best bet as THP with the luxury of having Kep on the bench.

I just objected to the suggestion that he is not even close to our best THP option.

Kiss of death, but he could be a superstar at the 2015 and 2019 World Cups and is very good now.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Terrific game last night I thought. For the (more or less) neutral, it was fantastic viewing. I still had some nagging doubts about the Reds ability to beat the big teams, but they took a real step forward last night. Diggers had a huge game and it would have been even better if he had passed the ball a couple of times on the break. The accuracy and pace at the break down was excellent too for much of the game and I think Higgers may have played his way into contention for the Wallaby 6 jersey. Genia showed huge amounts of composure, especially when his team was under pressure. Several times he stepped up and made exactly the right tactical decision (a couple box kicks at crucial times, for example). QC (Quade Cooper) was also mostly very good and I even saw him tackle a few times!

The Blues were very good in bursts too and played their part in what was a hugely enjoyable game.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Aww shucks....thanks Hawko :)

As a hard-core Blues fan, there were some frustrating things in the game last night - Brett in particular had me pulling my hair out and then Ali Williams quick tap and isolating himself.....some decision-making that just wasn't sharp. A couple of breaks down the wing where Ranger should have been given the ball to go one-on-one with QC (Quade Cooper)....I could see the ball carriers wanting to draw the defense before giving the pass but in considering who was marking who, I would have given it early and let Ranger do his usual.

Rokocoko simply isn't the player he used to be. I've thought it for a couple of years now and each game this year I keep hoping that he'll somehow get back to it but it isn't happening. Losing Stanley early was also a bit of a set-back I think because he is a good option taker and makes good decisions. He runs the ball hard and makes some big hits....kinda like an A Faainga actually.

Still, to lose with 2 bonus points and have guys like Kaino sitting on the side-line...again, I'm pretty up-beat about the business end of the season....

Stupid cliche but it was the loss you boys had to have. We had ours against the Canes and I think the reason we won last night is we learnt our lessons well from that game.

slaven

Frank Row (1)
Is there a no.8 in better form in Australia than Radike Samo?

A very entertaining game to watch as a neutral. Some of my thoughts.

When it comes to the breakdown, the underrated Reds pack is as good as any in the competition. Sure, people will argue that the Blues were missing some key forwards, but as a group the Reds team simply showed more energy and commitment at the tackle area. Their ability to generate quick ruck ball really troubled the Blues’ defense, especially in the first half. Opposing coaches will be watching last night’s game closely and formulating ways to stifle the Reds’ ability to effect quick recycling of ball. It’s not as easy as simply getting more numbers to the breakdown because;

a) the Reds have shown they can match numbers at the breakdown, and
b) the Reds are very skilled at changing the point of attack, which makes it hard to get sufficient numbers to the tackle area. They rarely repeatedly target the same channel.

History shows that only teams with high quality halves can win Super Rugby titles. And the Reds have arguably the best 9 and 10 combination in SANZAR. Not only do Cooper and Genia steer the team around the field brilliantly and consistently make the right decisions in attack, but they are a constant threat to the defensive line in their own right. They have the ability to make their teammates look better than perhaps they actually are, and that shows their playmaking quality.

From under 8s level coaches stress the importance of minimising errors. And last night the Blues sunk to a 24 point deficient largely on the back of an unsustainably high error rate. And a large part of this was as a result of very good, swarming Reds defence. Their first up tackling needed to be good and it was. In contrast to the Blues, despite the Reds flair and attacking brand of rugby, the home team managed to keep errors to a minimum.

Is there a no.8 in better form in Australia than Radike Samo? I know he isn’t a fashionable player, but his work at the breakdown, ability to link with his teammates and defensive output remind me a lot of Kieran Read. Who I rate as the best no.8 in world rugby. Neither player is a traditional bosh-merchant type 8th man, but their allround skillset contribute so much to their respective teams. Like Read, Samo also provides another tall option at lineout time. For the Wallabies sake, Robbie Deans could do much worse than reward Samo with a test recall, despite the fact that he is turning 35 in July.

Lastly, Ewen McKenzie and his team should be very happy with their win. And Reds fans should be too, their team has announced themselves to the comp as being a genuine title contender. But one obvious weakness which should worry everyone in QLD is their scrum. You cannot afford to give away multiple scrum penalties in close games. Whether deserved or not, the Reds now have a reputation for being a weak scrummaging team. Opposing teams will target this and referees will give opposing scrums the benefit of any doubt. All it takes is for the Reds to lose a front rower or two to the bin for repeated scrum penalties and a semi final or final could get away from them.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Did anyone get a decent look at what the incident in the crowd was during the 2nd half and know what went on? At Caxton St end around section 329.

It has been a long time since there's really been any crowd trouble at a Reds match.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
your team are excellent but I am going to go against most guys opinion and side with Reds Happy. Please give credit where it's due rather than throw up excuses as to why the Blues didn't win. Quite simply the Reds were the better side on the night.

You've been summarily dismissive of the Reds all season and I clearly remember you posting that they would be exposed when they played good NZ teams.

Wrong!

I already said earlier that we didn't do enough to win it - obviously the Reds were better on the night.

I will say this though....I think the draw has been kind to them. Not playing a NZ team until Week 11 (which they lost BTW to to worst team in the NZ conference) and then getting the Blues and Saders at home.

But it is what it is and again....I still think the Blues will be better for it and with some big guns coming back, I'm very optimistic - especially if that's the best of the Red have.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I would agree with your optimism Bullrush. How could you not be, sitting at the top of the NZ conference? I think the Blues have surprised a few people (me included) with the composure they have shown so far and won some tight games. They should be a contender at the end of the home and away season.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I already said earlier that we didn't do enough to win it - obviously the Reds were better on the night.

I will say this though....I think the draw has been kind to them. Not playing a NZ team until Week 11 (which they lost BTW to to worst team in the NZ conference) and then getting the Blues and Saders at home.

But it is what it is and again....I still think the Blues will be better for it and with some big guns coming back, I'm very optimistic - especially if that's the best of the Red have.

I've never had a root canal, but I believe this is what it feels like

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
I was impressed with Pat and Keven in the press conference too, seemed really straight up guys. If they are an indication of the headspace they are in, they could easily go all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.