• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Brumbies, Lang Park, 2nd March 2018 @ 7:00pm AEST

Match result

• Brumbies win

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • Reds win

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Where do you see Wright playing Reg? He was an 8 in junior teams but looks like 7 may be his spot. I hope he doesn't end up on the Schatz/Browning pathway.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play on Friday night. Could be the start of a great Super career.

7 in my eyes.

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
What's the story with Andrew Ready? Is he injured or just out of favour with big bad Brad?

Not that there's miles of difference between Ready, Mafi & Paenga-Amosa but I thought Ready might have nabbed the bench spot this week since Mafi didn't do anything of particular note last week (not saying he was bad, just that he wasn't outstanding).

I thought Ready looked good enough in the Brisbane 10's to make the 23.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
To go on from the Reds Thread Slipper is the obvious choice as skipper.

Think he was the only Reds player to make the Aussie Team of the Week.

I also think Wright is a potential captain of the Reds obe day. But he has to ve a starter for a while before that happens

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
To go on from the Reds Thread Slipper is the obvious choice as skipper.

Think he was the only Reds player to make the Aussie Team of the Week.

I also think Wright is a potential captain of the Reds obe day. But he has to ve a starter for a while before that happens

I hope Slipper has a strong season and doesn't break down. Wallabies could sure use him.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Really hopeful Kerevi steps up his ball security in contact.

Looking forward to Lance again and Toua should be pretty motivated against his old team (as all players tend to be).

ALL the forwards need to play with aggressive defence and produce strong set pieces.

The Thor was a bit quiet last week so I also hope he is full of beans come Friday night.
Love to see some massive dominating runs.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Glad to see Adam back at 6. Suits him much better I think. Leave Wright at 7.

This squad is to be expected. Remember Higgers was only on match payments last year. Not expected to figure highly.

Inexperience is not the key issue imo.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
In the discussion of potential YCs from this match, nobody has yet identified Ben Alexander as a contender. I'm not saying he is, but there are a hell of a lot of rugby fans who don't rate him in the set piece.

Brumbies will need to be a lot sharper than they were last week. The Reds will have something to prove after they held the Rebels quite easily when they had equal numbers on the field (and for some time after being reduced to 14). Their form in that game wasn't anywhere near as poor as the scoreline might indicate. The battle at set piece could go the Reds way, and that could go a long way to gaining a win for them given the apparent difficulty sides are having turning over the ball under the new laws.

A six day turn-around including the loss of one day traveling won't do the Brumbies any favours.

Team-wise, I can see Cusack and McCaffery swapping roles at times. Both have been playing strongly and have been good over the ball. Hopefully, the rhetoric about playing more attacking rugby is there to be seen this weekend.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can't see the Reds winning this one.

I can see them getting better though even though players don't always make the best coaches. It is hard to imagine Thorn not having learned something from Henry, Hansen & Deans during his time as a player.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

I can see them getting better though even though players don't always make the best coaches. It is hard to imagine Thorn not having learned something from Henry, Hansen & Deans during his time as a player.

I think Thorn would have learnt a lot about how to be the best enforce lock in his time under these guys. It's all the other parts of rugby that a coach has to be over, tactically wise, that I worried about. Also he might realise that there are a few things you can get away in when wearing black or red and black that you get pulled up on in other jerseys.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

What Thorn showed with Queensland Country NRC campaign is potential....and to be fair great potential....but given how much coaching behind him he has yes he is not the finished product and has a lot to learn as anyone would have to agree, and indeed Brad himself, given how long he has been coaching. But again QLD Country NRC campaign shows he can learn fairly quickly. I just hope long suffering Reds fans give him a bit of space and time as solving Reds woes overnight is perhaps a tad unrealistic for even a seasoned well credentialed coach - let alone a rookie like Brad.

Not a lot of great player acquisitions imo during off season compared to other sides, coupled with loss of George Smith to injury and of course Khunt saga, which also makes his job harder.

I like Brad's general approach and persona as a player and what he has brought with this into coaching so do hope he succeeds but will wait to see what this season brings. Realistically just don't see Reds as having cattle to threaten enough personally but if Brad can do something with cattle he has - say 2nd or more realistically 3rd in Oz conference, I would say this would be very credible result for his first year of coaching (in fact unbelievable result as realistically it is battle for Oz conference wooden spoon with Sunwolves as likely result with a Sunwolves team that is much improved i.e. less easybeats now in oz conference as last years rebel easybeats have wallabies galore now).

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

You can add Wayne Bennet to that list. Man he’s had some good coaches!!

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think Thorn would have learnt a lot about how to be the best enforce lock in his time under these guys. It's all the other parts of rugby that a coach has to be over, tactically wise, that I worried about. Also he might realise that there are a few things you can get away in when wearing black or red and black that you get pulled up on in other jerseys.
Perhaps, but then at some point all members of a squad face highlight reels and are part of tactic discussions. He would have been part of a great many of them under pressure situations too.

In NZ they also focus on improving each individual player more than they look for the next golden boy so although the Reds may have a relatively low base to start off with (player-wise) those players will probably improve their skill and decision making skills over the next season.

Sort of how the Lions have built up their skills and their brand with a bunch of no-name players. Ackerman attributed this to discussions he intentionally had with all of the NZ Super Rugby coaches when they faced them during his time as coach to learn from them - particularly Dave Rennie. Those ideas bounced and he molded them into something that everyone bought into and they got on with improving themselves.

T

TOCC

The Thor was a bit quiet last week so I also hope he is full of beans come Friday night.
Love to see some massive dominating runs.

He scrummed at Tight Head for almost 20 scrums with a pack which only had 7 players in it for most the match... didn’t have his runs, but was far from a quiet performance at scrum time

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He scrummed at Tight Head for almost 20 scrums with a pack which only had 7 players in it for most the match. didn’t have his runs, but was far from a quiet performance at scrum time
I agree. I thought he was really good. Seems clear to me that he is going to be pushing for the 3 or 18 Wallaby jersey very soon.

His scrummaging looks like it has come on in leaps and bounds and he's now a powerful tight head as opposed to a ball runner who was trying to work out how to scrum.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Just to recap who the reds will be missing for this match:

George Smith
Izaia Perese
Scott Higginbotham
Luckhan Tui
Karmichael Hunt
Quade Cooper
Ben Lucas

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
So what sort of crowd do you think we can expect on Friday?

It's not a kiwi side to draw in the queeNZlanders so I'm tipping 12k tops....

Status
Not open for further replies.