• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Sharks Rnd 4 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I quite like them. Am thinking I might need to submit and actually buy a jersey and I think that's the one I'll get.

In terms of Stratco giving up their space on the jersey it's a great move. Firstly aren't they an Aust company. No need for exposure in SA. Secondly we are actually talking about them. This is exactly what a sponsor wants. And finally they get to be seen as being very generous for something they probably won't cost them to much.

L

Linebacker_41

In terms of Stratco giving up their space on the jersey it's a great move. Firstly aren't they an Aust company. No need for exposure in SA. Secondly we are actually talking about them. This is exactly what a sponsor wants. And finally they get to be seen as being very generous for something they probably won't cost them to much.

I have said this in another post - but given the cheetah patterning you wont see the stratco logo anyway. You cant see rusty and can barely make out the Q on the jersey too.

W

What2040

reckon Link will change a few this week

Holmes for Daley at 1
Lucas for Harris at 10
Harris for Lance at 13

Rest of pack should be intact but maybe Beau to start and Gilly to finish off

most interesting selections will be at 10 and 15 (Morahan or Davies) Morahan hasn't played that well to date but what is Rockets defence like ?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
most interesting selections will be at 10 and 15 (Morahan or Davies) Morahan hasn't played that well to date but what is Rockets defence like ?
Davies can be a liability, he can be brilliant and score an assload of tries, but he can also have some shockers.

I'd stick with Morahan because he is alot stronger under the high ball, and I suspect the Sharks would target Davies with the high ball if he started.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Davies can be a liability, he can be brilliant and score an assload of tries, but he can also have some shockers.

I'd stick with Morahan because he is alot stronger under the high ball, and I suspect the Sharks would target Davies with the high ball if he started.
I am hoping that Davies has been working on the highball as it is one of his percieved weaknesses. Wasn't he a 15 in Australian schoolboys? I would assume if this was the case then he can probably handle a high ball.
I think he will have a great game

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Don't get me wrong, I'd love for him to prove himself a genuine starter week-in-week-out, but for the past two seasons he has just frustrated the fuck out of me. Just seems to be a player that could be a superstar, but continues to only show glimpses. But on the bright side, many people forget how young he is, still alot of time for him to develop.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Don't get me wrong, I'd love for him to prove himself a genuine starter week-in-week-out, but for the past two seasons he has just frustrated the fuck out of me. Just seems to be a player that could be a superstar, but continues to only show glimpses. But on the bright side, many people forget how young he is, still alot of time for him to develop.

Agree...and then, of course, there was v Samoa as well, not Davies' finest hour.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I am hoping that Davies has been working on the highball as it is one of his percieved weaknesses. Wasn't he a 15 in Australian schoolboys? I would assume if this was the case then he can probably handle a high ball.
I think he will have a great game

Quite right, he was the OZ Schools fullback in 2006, and a pretty good one at that. My recollection is that he was safe under the highball and a courageous defender, as well as being the speed merchant that we are all familiar with. Don't know whether he has a good boot or not though, as I think his preference is to run it.

Morahan is a gifted ball runner with a big boot but I don't think the positional aspects of fullback come naturally to him yet. I reckon he deserves another chance to start with Davies off the bench to add spark in the second half.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I think it is because he is a 'little fella'. Yeah nothing usually gets through but if the forwards hit him running he can be dragged over the advantage line sometimes. I have no issues however with him being in the chanel, because he does hit low and hard.
So what you're suggesting is that while this is going on, our back row plays 'Poker'
, and discuss the good looking chicks in the crowd.
Think of rugby as a chess game, for every move there is a counter-move, with 'check' being a try.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Big Sharks pack? Where did you get that? I love this carry on about "big South African packs" when for years the SA packs have been the same size as everybody else except for one or two big lumps.

Sykes 114 - plays like he weighs 80

Deysel faces a fitness test and should start off the bench. Plumtree will want pace against the Reds.

Sometimes they give out the pack weights in a caption on TV when the game is played in the RSA and NZ. In Rd. 1 the Cheetahs were mentioned as being 886 kgs, which is near enough to average; in Rd. 2 it had dropped to 865 which is one of the lightest - not that weight itself is the most important thing when you compare it with individual technique and pack coordination.

On Sykes - I think that many SAffers would agree with your assessment.

Deysel hasn't played this year due to a chronic knee injury. I expect that he will be very rusty and not up to match fitness.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I would like Holmes to start. He does offer the stronger set piece but also I find the thought of unleashing Daley's mobility and energy at the back end of the game could be a real point of difference for us. This is where I think we can have the edge in this game. Also tempted to start Samo instructing him to be brutal and run the tank dry. Then introduce Shatz, along with Gill later in the game. Complately change the dynamic of our back row from physical to mobile to exploite a Sharks pack that I think we can wear down.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Quite right, he was the OZ Schools fullback in 2006, and a pretty good one at that. My recollection is that he was safe under the highball and a courageous defender, as well as being the speed merchant that we are all familiar with. Don't know whether he has a good boot or not though, as I think his preference is to run it.

Morahan is a gifted ball runner with a big boot but I don't think the positional aspects of fullback come naturally to him yet. I reckon he deserves another chance to start with Davies off the bench to add spark in the second half.

I would be keen to hear your thoughts on Davies distribution skills Speccy. I think the most important skill we need out of our full back at the moment is to provide a solid linkage to Shipperly and Digby.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I would be keen to hear your thoughts on Davies distribution skills Speccy. I think the most important skill we need out of our full back at the moment is to provide a solid linkage to Shipperly and Digby.
Can't say I know Ruggo, to be honest. Rather than being natural distributors or link men, I personally see Davies and Morahan as out and out finishers, like Shipperley and Ioane.

T

TOCC

Can't say I know Ruggo, to be honest. Rather than being natural distributors or link men, I personally see Davies and Morahan as out and out finishers, like Shipperley and Ioane.

I wouldn't say Ioane is a out and out finisher...
His meters gained and workload each week would suggest he is much more then just a guy on the end of a decent back-line move.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Paarl, out of interest, what % of your life savings are you going to bet on a Sharks win on Saturday? Your confidence is supreme and grows by the day, and I would have thought you'd get good odds backing the Sharks.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Paarl, out of interest, what % of your life savings are you going to bet on a Sharks win on Saturday? Your confidence is supreme and grows by the day, and I would have thought you'd get good odds backing the Sharks.

Sharks are decent favorites and rightly so.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Nah I dont do the gamble thing. Would have been a rich man out of rugby if I did. You can make a few tho, putting it on the Sharks for saturdays match. Trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.