• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Waratahs - 29th April RD 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Maddocks wasn't with the Reds.

Reds would've wanted Naisarani but the Force offered him a 2 year contract with a big back end.

McLean Jones now with the Waratahs after spending time with Aussie 7s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I know, just trying to use a non red example of teams jumping on hot u20 property.

Would the Reds have been able to fit Naisarani even if they could have matched a (well deserved) force offer? Houston, Timu, Higs, Korzcyk, Gunn, Smith, Hewat and then ASY (Angus Scott-Young) in EPS, I believe were all in before the Naisarani deal. I think?

I understand Jones has been around the tahs but IMO, whilst a good QLD u20 player, think he is a good example of how a key U20 player would struggle to match it in professional rugby. He may very well resurge in the years to come as he develops into a more mature/physical player.

T

TOCC

Even more reason for our talent identification process to be more focused on bringing guys through the club system and the NRC, rather than straight out of schoolboys, into the U20's and then into Super Rugby I reckon. It seems to be a particular affliction for OZ rugby in the last decade or so and leaves late bloomers languishing in grade footy for longer than they should be. That said, the exposure of the NRC should help enormously.

IMO they need to cast the net as wide as possible during the schoolboys and U20s years, but It isn't happening in the current pathways. U20s players are drafted in based on their schoolboy reputation, and this same pool of players is then used to fill out the NRC and Super Rugby contracts. So if you're a late developer and miss the schoolboy rep honours then you're next chance to impress will be in Premier Grade in your early 20s. Even then, you're going to struggle because the NRC and Super Rugby teams are filled with warehoused 18-21yr olds.

I've already spoken of my issues with the U20s tournament in another thread, but its counter productive in its current format, and rather then enhancing the pathways it only makes them more exclusive by defining a select group of players and isolating them from their peers.

Southern Hemisphere nations would probably be better served boycotting the JWC and instead playing a Rugby Championship at the end of Super Rugby season..

Status
Not open for further replies.