• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Depends on interpretation - one interpretation is that whenever you deliberately volleyball it, you could be penalised.

Surely not, that means every time a player goes to catch a ball and has to juggle it a bit to get it under control they'd be penalised.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Surely not, that means every time a player goes to catch a ball and has to juggle it a bit to get it under control they'd be penalised.

Yeah, if you're allowed to essentially volley an intercept up and as long as you catch it it's not deemed a knock on, then this in theory could work if acted out right.

We could be onto something here lads.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah, if you're allowed to essentially volley an intercept up and as long as you catch it it's not deemed a knock on, then this in theory could work if acted out right.

We could be onto something here lads.

You mean i'm onto something. me. I'm the genius.

Reactions: dru

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Late to this one, so firstly: FUCK Owen Farrell. Clumsy mental midget should have been absolutely smashed out of the game with yellow cards and suspensions years ago.

Secondly: if you're throwing it forward to yourself, you deserve to be tackled as you're in possession. Try to avoid a knock on in that scenario and you can have it, genius.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Late to this one, so firstly: FUCK Owen Farrell. Clumsy mental midget should have been absolutely smashed out of the game with yellow cards and suspensions years ago.

Secondly: if you're throwing it forward to yourself, you deserve to be tackled as you're in possession. Try to avoid a knock on in that scenario and you can have it, genius.

Two hands free to fend with
giphy.gif

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

Rebels winger got a yellow card against the Force for a deliberate knock down when he knocked it up and just couldn't gather it on the second attempt. Angus said he was not in position for a intercept, when he was and nearly pulled it off to.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rebels winger got a yellow card against the Force for a deliberate knock down when he knocked it up and just couldn't gather it on the second attempt. Angus said he was not in position for a intercept, when he was and nearly pulled it off to.

The law is deliberate knock on not knock down.

It was a deliberate knock on and the only thing that could have stopped it from being that is if he did catch it to complete the intercept and avoid knocking it on.

As soon as you stick out one hand it's going to be a deliberate knock on unless you intercept it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah they went a bit crazy with compulsory yellow knock downs for a while. Sensibly, it has been brought back to judgement about context.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Deliberate Knock-on automatic yellow was a Sevens thing not 15s. However they did add the protocol that Braveheart mentions above to bring consistency.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Mauls.

A defender enters legally and legally fights his way through the melee to get his hands on the player with the ball.

Now I understood at this point if he brings player and ball down it is OK.

Certainly I thought he does not have to release player or ball.

In the semi-final there was a maul situation that I read as above but fans went off about it. What are the laws? Am I right?

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Mauls.

A defender enters legally and legally fights his way through the melee to get his hands on the player with the ball.

Now I understood at this point if he brings player and ball down it is OK.

Certainly I thought he does not have to release player or ball.

In the semi-final there was a maul situation that I read as above but fans went off about it. What are the laws? Am I right?

Don't remember the maul in question, but based on your description, he has entered correctly, and if the maul goes to ground, he does not need to release/roll away. But no one can intentionally collapse a maul. (Law 16.11.a)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ the ELV that allowed a maul to be taken down by a player coming from an onside position & tackling the ball carrier should never have been rescinded IMO, in the brief period it was in use in NZ the number & effectiveness of what I'd consider obstruction declined dramatically & with no significant injuries occurring ("too dangerous" being the excuse for canning it).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Don't remember the maul in question, but based on your description, he has entered correctly, and if the maul goes to ground, he does not need to release/roll away. But no one can intentionally collapse a maul. (Law 16.11.a)

Just to be sure here - you are not allowed to tackle the player with the ball?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It is weird - the game is meant to be about contest but pretty much the contest is removed from the maul.

Yeah I like the idea that if you swim through legally, you have every right to tackle the bloke.

I'm surprised more teams don't try harder to sack the jumper as soon as he lands, looks like the most vulnerable spot.