• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
What was the name of the English bloke who reffed us in the France series? thought he was tops and looked better the more games i saw.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
It appears the source for the media statements about world rugby’s apology for AAAs yellow card was Rennie himself. Can’t find any official release

“I look back at Marius’ decision, to sin bin Allan Ala'alatoa against Scotland during the week - we were told that was the wrong decision,” Rennie said.

“It wasn’t a yellow card. They’re big moments. Getting an apology during the week isn’t good enough. If we are going to have a TMO, there is no excuse for not getting the decision right, and we saw another example of that tonight.

“Everyone is accountable, or they should be. Certainly, we are. And we want to make sure the officials are also accountable. So, Marius’ decision a couple of weeks ago decided a game, yet he was appointed again. Is there any accountability around guys making errors that are deciding Test matches?”

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It appears the source for the media statements about world rugby’s apology for AAAs yellow card was Rennie himself. Can’t find any official release

“I look back at Marius’ decision, to sin bin Allan Ala'alatoa against Scotland during the week - we were told that was the wrong decision,” Rennie said.

“It wasn’t a yellow card. They’re big moments. Getting an apology during the week isn’t good enough. If we are going to have a TMO, there is no excuse for not getting the decision right, and we saw another example of that tonight.

“Everyone is accountable, or they should be. Certainly, we are. And we want to make sure the officials are also accountable. So, Marius’ decision a couple of weeks ago decided a game, yet he was appointed again. Is there any accountability around guys making errors that are deciding Test matches?”
Yeah he said it in his post match. He'll be in trouble for it. Must have been genuinely fuming to do it, particularly for a guy who is generally pretty reserved and sanguine about outcomes of a match.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
The broader issue isn't with any one game or referee, but with rugby's laws generally. The major problem is that the law book is incredibly complex compared to most other sports, and seems to get altered by World Rugby every 2-3 years.

Adding to that, existing rules are reffed extremely inconsistently. If you really wanted to, you could do a Rassie on any game you choose and find roughly 1 billion missed penalties. And honestly, it's fine that refs miss stuff - they're only human.

But at the same time, it's pretty understandable that casual fans get confused and frustrated when even dedicated rugby tragics are only barely keeping up.

Last edited:

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Tour was ruined by idiotic laws and officiating. The AAA yellow that negated a try was the deciding factor in the Scotland game while the Red at 14 minutes for a head clash decided that games fate.

Not to mention many of the other dubious calls.

Add in the red card to Koro against the French at 4:27 that was later reversed and that's 3 games decided by accidental head contact. Integrity of the sport as we knew it is gone, unfortunately.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I will be honest, I am a little disappointes with a; Rennie's rant at ref (I just don't like coaches doing it) a bit Cheika like for me too
b; RA not saying that Rennie shouldn't do it, didn't they come out after Rassie's shithouse performance
c; After a couple of pages in here I would hope the ones who went crook about Rassie would at least say they very uncomfortable with Rennie publicly attacking ref.
I understand being upset if you feel you not getting rub , bit I still maintain we need our test coaches to be a little circumspect and not make refs fair game.
And before you get into me about evryone should be held to account, has Rennie ripped into any of his players? Or were they all that good?

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I will be honest, I am a little disappointes with a; Rennie's rant at ref (I just don't like coaches doing it) a bit Cheika like for me too
b; RA not saying that Rennie shouldn't do it, didn't they come out after Rassie's shithouse performance
c; After a couple of pages in here I would hope the ones who went crook about Rassie would at least say they very uncomfortable with Rennie publicly attacking ref.
I understand being upset if you feel you not getting rub , bit I still maintain we need our test coaches to be a little circumspect and not make refs fair game.
And before you get into me about evryone should be held to account, has Rennie ripped into any of his players? Or were they all that good?
Fuck the ref, seriously they aren’t above criticism especially when they perform like that

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm sure there are back-channel conversations happening. They're not going to come out immediately with a statement like that, and will probably be doing some damage control, probably with WR (World Rugby) on the blower as well.

I am not comfortable with the language used.

There are better ways to say "we got fucked" without actually saying it. And he will be chastised for the call on the knock down because it was (on review) the right call. Now the issue is narrative; that call has been stated as wrong and everyone has run away proclaiming it.

The officials were right for the knock down. In fact on review of the game, the only genuine clusterfuck for me was the process - not the outcome - of the Beale decision.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Therefore I disagree with this statement:
Fuck the ref, seriously they aren’t above criticism especially when they perform like that

Besides a few bits of pedantry and a few line calls, the officials mostly did a good job.

If I've got a complaint right now across the weekend's games that I've seen, it is that the refs were very hard on players running a blocking line for kicks, without actually looking at whether the chasers are onside at the point of the boot hitting ball.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Therefore I disagree with this statement:

Besides a few bits of pedantry and a few line calls, the officials mostly did a good job.

If I've got a complaint right now across the weekend's games that I've seen, it is that the refs were very hard on players running a blocking line for kicks, without actually looking at whether the chasers are onside at the point of the boot hitting ball.
End of the day be good or fuck off. There is no way they could be described as good

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The intentional knock down rule is such weird thing to still be in the game, particularly to be treated the way it is. For a rule that is not about player safety and so open to referee interpretation to basically start at the yellow card threshold is just heaping unnecessary pressure on the refs without actually adding much to the spectacle.

Personally I'd love to see it removed, but failing that reduce the sanction to a free-kick on the first occasion and let repeated infringements push it into penalty territory, in the same way some scrum infringements are treated.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ireland's third try - hooker clearly rolls an extra half-metre to present the ball - should have been disallowed.

But fuck me Lavanini has a brain the size of a pea, and a fuse not much longer.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep so you also happy with Rassie attacking Berry? I not saying anyone above criticism, but public attacks by officials of rugby unions is not on. That is how it spreads to tossers standing on sidelines abusing refs on a Saturday morning!

Question, how are you when you out there doing it?

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Yep so you also happy with Rassie attacking Berry? I not saying anyone above criticism, but public attacks by officials of rugby unions is not on. That is how it spreads to tossers standing on sidelines abusing refs on a Saturday morning!

Question, how are you when you out there doing it?
Didn’t watch the match and didn’t pay attention to what he said so I am not in a position to offer and opinion on the matter either way

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Great attitude. I'm sure you're a joy to referee when you're out there.
If a player puts in poor performances they get dropped. Why should a ref be any different? The Koroibete red, the AAA yellow now all the terrible calls in the Welsh game. It’s a big issues and action has to be taken

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Didn’t watch the match and didn’t pay attention to what he said so I am not in a position to offer and opinion on the matter either way
I don't ever have an opinion on how a ref goes, because the first thing I learnt in rugby is the ref is the sole judge of the laws!