• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
A good group overall and I don't think there's anyone left out from Australia/New Zealand I'd ould've wanted or expected to be there. That said I'm shocked to see Doleman getting an AR spot, he hasn't really ever even looked up to super standard.

From the rest of the world I'm very happy that Adamson is no where to be seen, I wouldn't want him anywhere near a game of any consequence. The English dominance is a testament to what they've done in the prem with regards to referee development and management. They're now consistently producing the best refs in the world with a hit rate leagues ahead of any other domestic comp. I really hope whatever we end up with replacing SANZAAR in managing super rugby takes notice and invests heavily in referee development.

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Great job by our own contingent. This represents the most successful world cup cycle for Australian Match Officials since the turn of the millennium with 4 selected, and equals our record for the largest number of Australians selected in all world cups (1999 we also had 4).

3 from QLD and 3 pathway referees proving there is a way to the top for young match officials.

Big congrats to Nic, Gus, Jordy and Brett.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
There's a great interview with Angus Gardner on the Roar rugby podcast this week, which goes into a lot of detail around how they review matches, interact with teams, etc. Well worth a listen.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
There's a great interview with Angus Gardner on the Roar rugby podcast this week, which goes into a lot of detail around how they review matches, interact with teams, etc. Well worth a listen.
Something he said made me feel stupid I'd never really appreciated it before. That by the end of the game the refs are absolutely blowing as well and they have to make high pressure, complex decisions after being run off their feet. That's how I'm going to explain Raynal's brain fade at the end of last year's bled in Melbourne.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting to see panel isn't it? We read on forums that some posters don't like this ref or that ref, yet here are the refs that are selected by the people who actually know the laws and don't have a bias as such. So pretty hard to argue with them regardless what we think.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting to see panel isn't it? We read on forums that some posters don't like this ref or that ref, yet here are the refs that are selected by the people who actually know the laws and don't have a bias as such. So pretty hard to argue with them regardless what we think.
You have a lot of faith in an organisation that isn't known for their transparency or meritocracy.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Congratulations to Nic Berry & Angus Gardner who are going to the RWC as game referees. Also to Jordan Way who’s going as an assistant ref and Brett Cronan who’s going as a TMO.

No space for Damon Murphy I see.

yeah Damon exclusion is a bit puzzling, would have him ahead of Jordy Wray and the TMO who loves the sound of his own voice Brett Cronan.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You have a lot of faith in an organisation that isn't known for their transparency or meritocracy.
Yep true, but I also got a lot more faith in them than posters on forums who let's face it are hardly unbiased or really qualified to judge the quality of reffing performances. One of reason I try to refrain from making remarks about refs as it occured to me one day I didn't really know that much about decisions etc myself. See I would go along probably with SouthernX's thoughts, but as I say I not someone in position to judge.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You're not wrong but I also don't think an organisation who employs referees and holds integrity high isn't bias as well. They're hardly going to be critical to a very high standard of a referee's performance for obvious reasons.

I don't think it's as easy as saying, well WR (World Rugby) keeps picking them so they must be doing a good job.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
You're not wrong but I also don't think an organisation who employs referees and holds integrity high isn't bias as well. They're hardly going to be critical to a very high standard of a referee's performance for obvious reasons.
Publicly maybe not, but you may be surprised at the level of review and scrutiny their decisions come under internally behind closed doors - I've heard first-hand how critical it can get at QPR and Super level, so can only imagine what it would be like at the level(s) above.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Publicly maybe not, but you may be surprised at the level of review and scrutiny their decisions come under internally behind closed doors - I've heard first-hand how critical it can get at QPR and Super level, so can only imagine what it would be like at the level(s) above.
Was listening to O'Keeffe talking about it a while back, they are really heavily reviewed and as you say decision etc are all looked at and hauled over coals etc when needed. Heard Angus Gardiner say how hard it it towards end of game as refs get buggered too!

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Of course.

He would be 3rd best referee from the pool of aussies. Why not send Damon instead of jordy Wray… Damon has refereed probably 10x minimum more games then jordy
My understanding is that Murphy wasn't sent as he has already been an AR at the previous WC, so wouldn't add much to his development; Way, on the other hand, will gain a lot from it. Murphy would be the next picked I believe.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's Jordan Way, not Wray.

Damon Murphy wasn't an AR at the last RWC.

They both started in 7s at a similar time. Murphy has had some more senior appointments and got there earlier but I would assume World Rugby rates Way higher currently as they have selected him and not Murphy.

I don't think Rugby Australia chooses who goes.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
It's Jordan Way, not Wray.

Damon Murphy wasn't an AR at the last RWC.

They both started in 7s at a similar time. Murphy has had some more senior appointments and got there earlier but I would assume World Rugby rates Way higher currently as they have selected him and not Murphy.

I don't think Rugby Australia chooses who goes.
Yes, typo, apologies.

You're right on the WC front, my mistake; however, Murph has had far more previous AR experience at the international level, and sending him again as an AR would be diminishing returns in some respects. Regardless of who made the decision, my understanding is that it was one very much driven by developmental opportunity.

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
My understanding is that Murphy wasn't sent as he has already been an AR at the previous WC, so wouldn't add much to his development; Way, on the other hand, will gain a lot from it. Murphy would be the next picked I believe.
Not sure where your getting your understanding from but safe to say it's not a credible source.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Not sure where your getting your understanding from but safe to say it's not a credible source.
I think someone from the reffing world who regularly trains with both Murph and Jordy is probably pretty credible, but hey, feel free to make your own assessment