• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Sorry to change the subject but if there is any other referees out there has anyone got any whistle blowing techniques for a newbie???
I not too bad but cant seem to get the pro sounding whistle come out. As in my experience the better the whistle the better people think the ref is.

Practice, practice, practice grasshopper.

There are many different techniques, though the key point would have to be blow hard.

What type of whistle are you using? The whistle of choice has got to be the Acme Thunderer 58.5, anything less just won't get the sound you're after.

Work with different placement of your fingers and tongue, also lip placement can be critical.

The best way to practice is just to get yourself in some open space and blow your hardest my friend.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Sorry to change the subject but if there is any other referees out there has anyone got any whistle blowing techniques for a newbie???
I not too bad but cant seem to get the pro sounding whistle come out. As in my experience the better the whistle the better people think the ref is.

Have you noticed that the saffers and kiwis blow differently.
The doyen of aussie whistle blowing was Dr Roger Vanderfield

ruckhudson

Peter Burge (5)
Have you noticed that the saffers and kiwis blow differently.
The doyen of aussie whistle blowing was Dr Roger Vanderfield
I think we aussie rugby refs are trying to make our whistles sound like our nrl counterparts... but they must be taught that at ref school as they all have that same sound going on. i think it sounds good anyhows......once again any other tips???

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
19:00 Sader v Sharks.
Sharks take it into contact.
A maul forms and collapses. Alternative view is that it was a tackle by the Saders.
Hoffman comes up with a penalty for failing to roll away.
Against the Sharks.
Faaaaaark.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
(cat and pigeons)

The way the game is refereed today, what do you do when you are being held back by the leg in back play?

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
(cat and pigeons)

The way the game is refereed today, what do you do when you are being held back by the leg in back play?

Don't normally have pigeon for brekky but wtf: what you absolutely DONT do is kick the guy in the face. Ever. Even if he's got you in a squirrel grip, you still don't kick him in the face. Simples.

Agree that the holding back & general cheap shit has gotta go, but that's for the refs & TMO's to sort out, not the players.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
Don't normally have pigeon for brekky but wtf: what you absolutely DONT do is kick the guy in the face. Ever. Even if he's got you in a squirrel grip, you still don't kick him in the face. Simples.

Agree that the holding back & general cheap shit has gotta go, but that's for the refs & TMO's to sort out, not the players.

Fairy fucking muck, but you are not my answering the question

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Just watching replay of Red v Rebels.
Walsh rules on the incident in which the alleged eye gouge occurs. Awards penalty to reds, kick taken: line out formed and then TMO intervenes.
On what possible basis?
How far back will the TMO be able to go rule on stuff? How will this go with home town TMOs in NZ, and worse, SA?
Absolute joke.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hell IS, lets face it ,will give you another excuse for Aus teams losing!!!!:p
Actually the basis is the TMO can alert a ref of foul play and get it looked at!
I still not sure whether I like it or not, and kinda think it was just a dumb facial and not an eye gouge, but the rules allow the TMOs to do it, really thought you would of known that.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hell IS, lets face it ,will give you another excuse for Aus teams losing!!!!:p
Actually the basis is the TMO can alert a ref of foul play and get it looked at!
I still not sure whether I like it or not, and kinda think it was just a dumb facial and not an eye gouge, but the rules allow the TMOs to do it, really thought you would of known that.

Even after they've stopped the game for the general buffo - he's awarded the penalty for it etc etc.
There'd never be any end to it.
Much as I hate to suggest anything from the other code they need a match review committee style arrangement rather than being able to over call and reverse already penalties on the day.
What if there'd been a kick for goal form Walsh's decision - goes over and then boofhead says I'd like to have another look at it.
How far back can they go?
Last week?