• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A tackle occurs when a ball carrier is brought to ground and held. Once a ball carrier has been tackled, he must release the ball. Peyper ruled he had been brought to ground and that he didn't release the ball.

The call was touch and go on the replay but the refs only get one look at it. As a player you should ere on the safe side and just play the ball whenever you drop to one knee in a tackle (even though the ref would be strict to ping you every time you drop to one knee, you still need to be "held" there).

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Pepper did rule that but was he brought to ground or did the tackler fall off him before that.
Anyway as far as the laws are concerned the ruling was correct and it's only semantics we are discussing here.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
A tackle occurs when a ball carrier is brought to ground and held. Once a ball carrier has been tackled, he must release the ball. Peyper ruled he had been brought to ground and that he didn't release the ball.

The call was touch and go on the replay but the refs only get one look at it. As a player you should ere on the safe side and just play the ball whenever you drop to one knee in a tackle (even though the ref would be strict to ping you every time you drop to one knee, you still need to be "held" there).

The "tackler" must go to ground or there is no tackle.

Tony Dun

Frank Row (1)
Just watching the Blues/Cheetahs match and there are 2 interesting decisions so far.
The first was a Cheetahs try scored off a maul. If I recall correctly, recently a referree disallowed a Brumbies try from a maul which sheered off, and called it obstruction. The Cheetahs try seemed to be the same to me, as no Blues player was engaged when the Cheetahs group sheered off the maul; logically, it should have been obstruction as per the Brumbies decision?
The other was what the commentators called a 'double movement'. The player clearly pushing himself forward along the ground to place, while being held. The TMO called it that way yet the referee over-ruled and awarded the try.
I have to say generally the quality of refereeing has been good this year, with a few exceptions.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought the maul try was fine because Peter Saili stayed attached to the Cheetahs players the whole time.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The "tackler" must go to ground or there is no tackle.

You sure?
i was told by a wise old ref that if the person who brings the ball carrier to ground does not himself go to ground then he is not a tackler and that impacts upon the direction from which he may enter in order to compete for the ball on the ground - i.e. he must approach from the hindmost foot.
Law 15 reads that way:
A tackle occurs when the ball carrier is held by one or more opponents and is brought to ground.
A ball carrier who is not held is not a tackled player and a tackle has not taken place.
Opposition players who hold the ball carrier and bring that player to ground, and who also go to ground, are known as tacklers.
Opposition players who hold the ball carrier and do not go to ground are not tacklers.
Because 15.4 says:
(c)
The tackler must get up before playing the ball and then may play the ball from any direction.

15.6 says

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 6.40.25 pm.png

http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?law=15.6

In particular (c) envisages a player being brought to ground by players who do not leave their feet and yet the player brought to ground is "tackled".

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Correct, a tackle can occur if a player on his feet holds a ball carrier on the ground.

In other words, you can have a tackle with no tackler, in this scenario we call the 'player who is holding the ball carrier' a "tackle assist", he still must release the tackled player.

And IS is correct in stating the reason for this distinction is that the tackle assist player has different requirements in regard to their entry at the tackle.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
So what Bray's really saying is the Blues got dudded. Twice. And people wonder why us kiwis don't trust sethfricken TMOs. Hopefully karma takes care of the Bulls & Lions & sees to it that Blues get a coupla square-ups (and the Crusaders get different, competant TMOs when they go west).

Which ref was that?

This is Nick Mallet on another home town decision:

'[Referee] Stuart Berry spent his entire second half looking only at the Reds. ...The Reds have every reason to feel aggrieved.

'My feeling was that Berry was very flustered in the end and that he was only looking at the Reds errors. He penalised the Reds with four minutes to go at scrum, which was never a penalty. He then allowed a skew lineout throw with two minutes to go and gave a try when the grounding was inconclusive.

'It was a shocking performance.'

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
You sure?
i was told by a wise old ref that if the person who brings the ball carrier to ground does not himself go to ground then he is not a tackler and that impacts upon the direction from which he may enter in order to compete for the ball on the ground - i.e. he must approach from the hindmost foot.
Law 15 reads that way:

Because 15.4 says:

15.6 says

View attachment 4535
http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?law=15.6

In particular (c) envisages a player being brought to ground by players who do not leave their feet and yet the player brought to ground is "tackled".

Labouring a point I know, but if Law 15 states a tackle takes place when the ball carrier is held on the ground, then by that definition no tackle was made on Higgers imo. No-one held Higgers on the ground. Why then could he not just play on?

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
From memory both knees were on the ground and it was the bulls player whose weight brought Higgers to ground, and he still had his arms wrapped around at this point.

You could argue he was slipping off and I wouldn't disagree, that's something refs need to look for. I think the on field refs just decided from their view the Bulls player did enough. If Higgers wants to score 60m tries he should play safe and just release the ball before he gets up and goes again.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Labouring a point I know, but if Law 15 states a tackle takes place when the ball carrier is held on the ground, then by that definition no tackle was made on Higgers imo. No-one held Higgers on the ground. Why then could he not just play on?

I'm with you.
Tough call IMHO I can see why it was called - in part i think Jackson lost him behind some Tahs players as he hit the deck and its different to the league rule where all you have to do is touch them and they're tackled - in union they have to be held.
Higgers was up and running so quickly and tacklers never, ever release so quickly so i reckon he was not held on the ground.
From memory both knees were on the ground and it was the bulls player whose weight brought Higgers to ground, and he still had his arms wrapped around at this point.

You could argue he was slipping off and I wouldn't disagree, that's something refs need to look for. I think the on field refs just decided from their view the Bulls player did enough. If Higgers wants to score 60m tries he should play safe and just release the ball before he gets up and goes again.

Different tackle I think

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
thats what i thought at the time and so did higgers obviously.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
http://superxv.com/41941/1/super-rugby-referees-stood-down-by-sanzar#.Uy_w6oU7_JA

superxv.com said:
Stuart Berry, Angus Gardner, Andrew Lees and Matt O'Brien have been stood down for the next fortnight, but will be considered for future rounds (wow!!!!)

superxv.com said:
Lourens van der Merwe, Argentine Francisco Pastrana and James Leckie have been cut from the roster

It's actually pretty surprising really.

Pastrami is always having some difficulty with not being on tv enough and Leckie needs to concentrate on his homework assignments (not just the poor referencing, but also the erroneous content within).

I would rate van der Merwe well above Berry, Lees, Gardner and O'Brien though.