• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's somewhat reassuring to know that every sport finds video refereeing frustrating:
People are kicking off about VAR too.

Turns out stopping games at their most exciting moment for some forensic analysis actually isn't very fun.

Who woulda thought?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
People are kicking off about VAR too.

Turns out stopping games at their most exciting moment for some forensic analysis actually isn't very fun.

Who woulda thought?
While that is true, I also don't like seeing my team lose to a dubious decision that should have been picked up.

Maybe we need a "Ref clock" which gives 30 seconds to make a decision or play continues. This way the video referee gets the correct footage prior to telling the referee and just shows it twice before a decision is made.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
While that is true, I also don't like seeing my team lose to a dubious decision that should have been picked up.

Maybe we need a "Ref clock" which gives 30 seconds to make a decision or play continues. This way the video referee gets the correct footage prior to telling the referee and just shows it twice before a decision is made.
I think we are learning that video reviews don't really stop that from happening.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I remember the time before video refs and all the calls that people complained and moaned about that the ref missed on the day.

"If only there was was some kind of referee who could check the video replay and make a call"

used to be the cry of the rugby fan....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I remember the time before video refs and all the calls that people complained and moaned about that the ref missed on the day.

"If only there was was some kind of referee who could check the video replay and make a call"

i think there should be some kind of common sense with the on field review, if it is taking too long (it ain't then really clear and obvious), then mark the thing for review - even let the video ref do it with ref advising the player at the next stoppage

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I don't think people are complaining about TMO stuff for tries, tries are usually black/white for knock ons/in touch.

It's the foul play TMO reviews people want gone because a lot of it is about judging intent/mitigation right there and then and that's tough.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I don't think people are complaining about TMO stuff for tries, tries are usually black/white for knock ons/in touch.

It's the foul play TMO reviews people want gone because a lot of it is about judging intent/mitigation right there and then and that's tough.
As opposed to missing it altogether?

Nah...I'm OK with TMOs catching it on the spot....

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

They could do a review afterwards for all the dangerous play they missed and sanction the player then.

I think they do something similar in League. It seems to work fine.

I would much prefer to see 15 v 15 rugby.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)

Great if it's caught quickly and accurately on the spot. But how accurate are the ref and TMO when they have 1-2 minutes max to make a decision?

When these things go to the judiciary, it's not unusual for the hearing to go for a couple of hours, endless reviews of the footage, plus extra angles only available later, etc. Why do we expect the ref and TMO to be just as accurate in the heat of the moment? It's not fair on the ref.

My preference would be that, for foul play, the red card is reserved for obvious, unmitigated nasty play - head contact with obviously no mitigation, etc. If there's any grey area, or mitigation, the result should drop to yellow card, or penalty, and let the judicicary work out the rest.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Great if it's caught quickly and accurately on the spot. But how accurate are the ref and TMO when they have 1-2 minutes max to make a decision?

When these things go to the judiciary, it's not unusual for the hearing to go for a couple of hours, endless reviews of the footage, plus extra angles only available later, etc. Why do we expect the ref and TMO to be just as accurate in the heat of the moment? It's not fair on the ref.

My preference would be that, for foul play, the red card is reserved for obvious, unmitigated nasty play - head contact with obviously no mitigation, etc. If there's any grey area, or mitigation, the result should drop to yellow card, or penalty, and let the judicicary work out the rest.
Is that really significantly different from what occurs today?

Happy

Dave Cowper (27)
This is in today's Canberra Times:
The ACT Brumbies and NSW Waratahs have agreed with referees to rest a set of protocols in the hope it will promote more ball-in-play time on Saturday afternoon.

The Brumbies and Waratahs will have just 30 seconds to set scrums and lineouts, will get 60 seconds to take a penalty shot at goal, 90 seconds for a conversion and 30 seconds to get back to halfway to restart the game.

The referee will also police the breakdown more harshly, giving scrumhalves just five seconds to use the ball.
The time-sensitive trial is the product of a trans-Tasman conference where coaches and officials came together to address to stop-start nature of Super Rugby

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The ACT Brumbies and NSW Waratahs have agreed with referees to rest a set of protocols in the hope it will promote more ball-in-play time on Saturday afternoon.

The Brumbies and Waratahs will have just 30 seconds to set scrums and lineouts, will get 60 seconds to take a penalty shot at goal, 90 seconds for a conversion and 30 seconds to get back to halfway to restart the game.

The referee will also police the breakdown more harshly, giving scrumhalves just five seconds to use the ball.
The time-sensitive trial is the product of a trans-Tasman conference where coaches and officials came together to address to stop-start nature of Super Rugby
Excuse my ignorance, is this for this Saturday? If so is it on TV?

Happy

Dave Cowper (27)
1663836087701.png

Kickoff is at 1.30pm Saturday. There’s also a curtain raiser game at 11.30 am.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Sounds good trials, but hope it doesn't just cause more problems for ref with extra things to watch? I guess one thing they should do is also make sure there another ball on halfway, so players don't use excuse that they have to retrieve ball etc. Really like the 9 having to play ball in 5 seconds, only thing to decide when the 5 seconds starts, but like that.