• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Restructuring of the Academy set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I read that this morning. Are the academies currently operating? As per the NRC/pathways discussion on the Roar that you have been commenting on, there are challenges with cotton wooling some of these young players and only playing them against their age group vs the 18+ year olds playing against men in club comps where older guys don't care about schoolboy reputations etc.

Certainly there needs to be a way to hold onto young talent that is getting poached but there are also questions about identification of that talent - are we selecting kids who through physical size dominate over those who develop the skills but don't get noticed because of the size issue? What happens with the kids who don't get picked up by academies - are the selectors/talent developers open minded enough to look at the late bloomers?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I read that this morning. Are the academies currently operating? As per the NRC/pathways discussion on the Roar that you have been commenting on, there are challenges with cotton wooling some of these young players and only playing them against their age group vs the 18+ year olds playing against men in club comps where older guys don't care about schoolboy reputations etc.

Certainly there needs to be a way to hold onto young talent that is getting poached but there are also questions about identification of that talent - are we selecting kids who through physical size dominate over those who develop the skills but don't get noticed because of the size issue? What happens with the kids who don't get picked up by academies - are the selectors/talent developers open minded enough to look at the late bloomers?

All good questions. I'd really like to see some more detail surrounding this.

Status
Not open for further replies.