• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 10: Brumbies v Hurricanes Sat 27th 2.35PM @ GIO STADIUM

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Pretty good win for Brumbies I thought. Canes looked a little flat, but that just could of been because the Brumbies made them look that way with the pressure they put on them. But although I obviously a Canes man, not to depressed etc, we lost to a team that went well and obviously bounced back from a disappointing performance last week.

Anyway my youngest sister passed away suddenly during week, so my team losing a game of rugby is pretty low on things of importance.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Pretty good win for Brumbies I thought. Canes looked a little flat, but that just could of been because the Brumbies made them look that way with the pressure they put on them. But although I obviously a Canes man, not to depressed etc, we lost to a team that went well and obviously bounced back from a disappointing performance last week.

Anyway my youngest sister passed away suddenly during week, so my team losing a game of rugby is pretty low on things of importance.
Sorry to hear that bro, hope you get through it ok. Rugby games just ain't that important at this time.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Condolences Dan.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)

Sorry to hear that Dan. And you’re right, way more important than a rugby game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Declan Meredith and Ben O'Donnell both making big cases to return to the Brumbies' game day squad. Harry Vella also put in a timely shift given the injury to Blake Schoupp.

I am of the view that Meredith is now the most accomplished No 10 in the club. He has a full range of skills; able to break the line himself with footwork, able to set up plays with well executed kicks over the defensive line, excellent passing skills and very good defensively. While Noah and Jack D shine in particular areas, Meredith has all round skills that should take him further.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Declan Meredith and Ben O'Donnell both making big cases to return to the Brumbies' game day squad. Harry Vella also put in a timely shift given the injury to Blake Schoupp.

I am of the view that Meredith is now the most accomplished No 10 in the club. He has a full range of skills; able to break the line himself with footwork, able to set up plays with well executed kicks over the defensive line, excellent passing skills and very good defensively. While Noah and Jack D shine in particular areas, Meredith has all round skills that should take him further.
You'd have to assume Noah will be called for a rest in the next few games so perhaps Meredith will get a chance at 10, perhaps from the bench.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
You'd have to assume Noah will be called for a rest in the next few games so perhaps Meredith will get a chance at 10, perhaps from the bench.
I'm not sure that Larkham will be looking to rest any of his starters now that it is not mandated by RA. If he does, I do expect Debreczini will get first go at the 10 spot so hopefully, yes, Meredith might get some good minutes off the bench. More likely, I think, that next year will be his time. Noah might yet be off o/s and Jack is getting on a little.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm not sure that Larkham will be looking to rest any of his starters now that it is not mandated by RA. If he does, I do expect Debreczini will get first go at the 10 spot so hopefully, yes, Meredith might get some good minutes off the bench. More likely, I think, that next year will be his time. Noah might yet be off o/s and Jack is getting on a little.
Fair, is Noah a player of national interest or whatever they're called these days?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

His attacking prowess is well known (thus why the signed him) when it's all front foot ball on a flat track in ideal conditions. The issue for him is when you take away the favorable conditions, the attacking goes away as well. But the key reason he is not seen as a real prospect yet is his defence is like a well oiled revolving door - and that's on a good day. He is improving but still has a fair way to go.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Curious why you think they would rest him and why he would need it if he is injury free? It's a short season in reality.

I can see him splitting the game time with JD like in the past, so he has his minutes managed, but he is not a Wallaby so no reasons to be rested on that front, and 2nd in the ladder is a key target this season so we can't risk drooping any games.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Curious why you think they would rest him and why he would need it if he is injury free? It's a short season in reality.

I can see him splitting the game time with JD like in the past, so he has his minutes managed, but he is not a Wallaby so no reasons to be rested on that front, and 2nd in the ladder is a key target this season so we can't risk drooping any games.
I just assume he'd be on the wallabies radar and they'd have some sort of management plan in place for him.

From memory he has played most minutes this year hasn't he?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I just assume he'd be on the wallabies radar and they'd have some sort of management plan in place for him.

After the shit outcome from last year's Wallaby resting policy, I would be more than surprised if any franchise but especially the Brumbies would participate in that sort of undertaking again. If you need to be reminded, the Brumbies were forced to rest upwards of 10 to 12 players twice last year on the understanding they were of national interest, but in the event only 4 or 5 of them were included in the RWC squad. The two games they were rested both resulted in losses, one unexpected to the Force and contributed to them missing one of the top two positions on the ladder and hence having to play a semifinal in NZ.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Until RA puts him back on the on the radar it's just the Brumbies managing his minutes. He has played the majority of Minutes but its how fatiguing that is for him.. Remember we have already had bye rounds to rest him.

I would presume that there needs to be some discussion with RA about his future as his contract expires this year I believe? I would suggest he would be better going back to France for a season. If RA want him they can call on him for the Lions next year.