• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 10: Crusaders v Rebels

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I wouldn't say he can't earn a living, I think he should be able too, but playing professional sports for a living is a privilege. And maybe losing it would teach him a lesson around keeping his hands to himself.

Now obviously they have decided that he can play, but that doesn't mean we can't comment on it.

What's even more annoying is that people who don't agree for whatever reason resort to calling people leftist, Karen's, woke, boomers, insert sweeping generalisation when the arguments weak.

I don't have a problem with people age sex colour political religion any of it. I do have a problem with people who can't control there emotions enough and respect others enough that they physically attack them.. I have no respect for Reece, probably never change as I'll never meet him and know if his changed.

Probably shouldn't have struck his partner if he didn't want that judgement
I don’t mind being labelled with ‘lefty’ or ‘woke’ or a number of other things that seemed to be used as insults but I find those that do use those terms in that way, often don’t know what they really mean.

I totally get what I think is the sentiment of what you’re saying, I just don’t know that being a sports person is a ‘privilege’ and I also don’t know how this works in practical terms.

Would there be a list of jobs that are acceptable for DV perpetrators to hold? Could one be a CEO of a major company? Could one start their own company that becomes massively successful? Could you be a musician or actor? How long would these restrictions last? For the rest of your life? What if by stopping them from being a sportsperson, you are also punishing the victims?

It’s not so straightforward and clear cut as we may want it to be.

Probably a discussion for a different thread/forum….

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
I consider myself pretty left and I think it’s not as easy as some seem to think.

@stillmissit has a point. Is anyone who has ever hurt a woman, committed DV against their partner or family now prohibited from earning their living?

We might be surprised how many women end up unemployed too…

I’d hate to be forever defined by a poor decision and bad action I’ve taken but sometimes that is life.

Anyways….that hit on Edmed was BEAUTIFUL
No, but when a large swathe of apologists (a certain few being here on this forum) get their backs up at the simple acknowledgment that he did what he did (or just flat out deny it outright) I reckon it’s indicative of a larger issue at play.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
No, but when a large swathe of apologists (a certain few being here on this forum) get their backs up at the simple acknowledgment that he did what he did (or just flat out deny it outright) I reckon it’s indicative of a larger issue at play.
I also think that it just gets chucked up cos people don’t like their team losing or that he is a good player.

No-one was talking about it when the Tahs were 12 points up.

edit: and yeah - that’s probably part of the consequences of that mistake that Reece will have to live with.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is getting rather off topic, but I think a lot of people have a problem with the likes of Reece and Frizzel, and others, who commit violent acts towards women and don’t face any real punishment due to their status in New Zealand as star rugby players…

It’s a rotten culture.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
At a time when violence against women appears to be at an all time high, this isn’t the take you think it is
SMI is still upset over Bruce…
It’s a rotten culture.
'Culture' - All NZ or only its rugby players and how do you know? Bruce What the ??? 'all time high'. Maybe, but there is a 'culture' of all is fair in love and divorce that might skew the numbers.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Who is this large swath of apologists? I do not excuse his behaviour just the idea of 'you can't work'.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I also think that it just gets chucked up cos people don’t like their team losing or that he is a good player.

No-one was talking about it when the Tahs were 12 points up.

edit: and yeah - that’s probably part of the consequences of that mistake that Reece will have to live with.
I think you'll find it's more likely people who are fans of the team forgiving him cause his a good footballer.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I'm watching the replay. Classic is a completely disaster, some Saders players are wearing shirts without the sponsor on the chest lol

Marce

John Thornett (49)
100 percent. He shouldn't be playing rugby. NZ rugby should have taken a stance on this. Aussie rugby have banned players for much less.
So the NZRU is like the NRL. Can we call NZ rugby as Jail Rugby? That the name we use here for the NRL lol

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Third try by Saders. Should I watch the second half or should I watch the Ponies against the Canes?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Fair enough, I don't much like anyone who assaulting anyone , or drug users/suppliers etc, but I guess the game isn't to be played by just who I say.
Well the legal system should force him out, there is a precedent of people being denied entry to Australia due to domestic violence issues. He should be no different. If the crusaders wish to contract him and play him in home NZ based games good luck to them

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The left's idea of stopping people from earning a living by offending their ever increasing list of offences is very ugly.
I don’t believe he should be banned from rugby, yet there is a precedent of denying people entering Aus for domestic violence offences. The Aus government shouldn’t let him in the country.