• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 10 : Reds v Blues

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I’ve mapped out the rest of the season and thought this would be a bonus point loss for us. I thinks we got 2 from it? So better than expected. A win could have had us leaning to a top 4 but we should be 5th from hereon I reckon.
How would you get 2 bonus points Reg? Reds didn't score 3 more tries than the Blues did they?

capalaba

Allen Oxlade (6)
Watched the replay, I have to agree with what others are saying on different forums, that was the best Super game all season. Great physical up front from both sets of forwards.

Kicking in the last 5 minutes, I put it down to inexperience, the knock on which led to the try was just one of those things.

And to be frank, Doleman (ref) was just terrible, he struggled to control the rucks and scrum time was atrocious. The Blues front rowers were engaging on an angle which resulted in the collapse, they should have been done for boring.

I also believe Vunivalu needs to be dropped, he pinches in on D exposing his Wing. Blues ran it down his side in the last 15 minutes because defensively he is lost. And that blown try when he casually tried to place the ball, is just typical. He is too much of a liability and will be marking Sevu Reece next week, he will be exposed. Time for him to go.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I dislike box kicks as much as anyone. I don't really see the point of them when they don't give anywhere near a 50% chance of regaining possession. And to put one up in your own 22m is just crazy. Some go out on the full gaining 5 - 10m territory at best while those that stay in just hand over possession in a great attacking position for the opposition.

But in saying that, they are apparently part of the coach's game plan so the poor bugger having to execute them shouldn't be hung out to dry. Any criticism should be leveled at the coaches or the chasers who haven't done their jobs.

Lonergan put up a similar kick to Werchon's against the Canes from which the Canes directly scored a try. The tactic was fraught with danger but the poor effort to put the receiver down was the reason the Canes scored a runaway try. I feel the same could be said of the Werchon kick that led to a Blues' try.
It is a coach's fashion statement BR.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from last night

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
That is one of the best Super Rugby games between Kiwi's and US in a very long time. The forwards led by Toomunga Allen who seemed to have a point to prove to his Kiwi mates, Wilson, Fesslar and Wright played well. It was a team effort and the D, breakdown, scrum and lineout were all fought strongly.
The only downside, apart from some odd refs decisions,s was that this game proves we are not as fit as the best Kiwi teams.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Watching it live it looked like Ryan stood around and didn't make any major effort to get back into position. I'd need to watch it again.
He was pretty clearly gassed, and made no effort to get back to shut anything down, other than blatantly holding back a support runner.

Not a great look when you are the fastest on the field, but that's youth for you! It is his first game at this level.

Coleman Rees

Allen Oxlade (6)
Final thought - Wilson my MotM for the Reds. I thought Wilson was hugely instrumental in matching it up front with the Blues. He was in absolutely everything on both sides of the ball and also played the ref really well. The young wing was incredible but the Reds wouldn't have been in touching distance without Wilson's workrate and physicality.
Just not sure Wilson running up and coming up with nothing then barely chasing as the Blues scored the match winner was great.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
I dislike box kicks as much as anyone. I don't really see the point of them when they don't give anywhere near a 50% chance of regaining possession. And to put one up in your own 22m is just crazy. Some go out on the full gaining 5 - 10m territory at best while those that stay in just hand over possession in a great attacking position for the opposition.

But in saying that, they are apparently part of the coach's game plan so the poor bugger having to execute them shouldn't be hung out to dry. Any criticism should be leveled at the coaches or the chasers who haven't done their jobs.

Lonergan put up a similar kick to Werchon's against the Canes from which the Canes directly scored a try. The tactic was fraught with danger but the poor effort to put the receiver down was the reason the Canes scored a runaway try. I feel the same could be said of the Werchon kick that led to a Blues' try.
You seriously think any coach would instruct a box kick into opposition 22?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Will be interesting to see if Vunivalu finally dropped after last night. The error at the start of the match, defensively a liability.

Strange he’s been picked so much by two different coaches now…

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah that Werchon one is just poor execution. It was 5 m too deep.

Think we also see why coaches like box kicks at 74min.

Reds have a ruck at 30m, pass back into 22 to Creighton for a kick from around 17m. Blues collect unapoossed at their own 30m, and run back to be tackled at Red's 45m. So gain of 15m with no risk to the opposition.

Couple of phases later and the Blues take it straight back for a try

Boxkick gets you just about the same result with some jeopardy

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Just not sure Wilson running up and coming up with nothing then barely chasing as the Blues scored the match winner was great.
I don't want to be too critical of Wilson, because he puts in a mountain of work with a big frame, but I reckon a lot of Vunivalu's D issues are related to how the Red's ask Wilson to defend on the right edges

Last edited:

Yoda

Ted Thorn (20)
It should be used to sack Kiss in my view. Fucken garbage selection decision.
Sack Kiss? You’re kidding. How about Coleman? He’s had 3 years with some very good players and still struggling to get players playing to their potential and winning matches. Kiss is in his first season. The Reds are a lot better side this year so far with or without Vunivalu. A lot of your comments are complete fu.ken garbage…. while we are touching on garbage.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Like some others I just caught up on this game. What a heartbreak. That was there for the Reds. The first drop from Suli I feel sums him up. Some good moments coupled with inexcusably stupid play. Can't play the sliding doors game, but sad to think if he just drives over there with the ball in two hands the Reds win.

That box kick by Werchon just illuminated some of the inexperience and poor decision making at times. Some better game management and the Reds would have been in a much better position to close the game out which is a shame because there was so much good in the game.

I'm not for blaming the ref, but I'm not sure that was Doleman's best performance. The gate seems barnyard wide mess at times.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Whilst Doleman’s ruck management was bad, I feel like an on ball player such as McReight would have been great. Doleman was essentially playing jail rules once the tackle was done and the ball presented at the back of the ruck. A good on baller would have been sniping through there.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
I’m a forward not a back so might not read it perfectly by such a shame HMP was not in that side yesterday ? I believe it would have been a perfect time for a more physical playmaker to come on and control the game which is what I make of him and suggest that’s better suited to link with our physical forwards as opposed to passive pass or kick which is what I see of Lynagh and Creighton.Pastrami was great imagine him linking with HMP.