• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 12: Reds v Rebels Fri 12th 7:35PM @ Suncorp

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Some chat on commentary that he’s carrying an AC joint injury. Probably a few bruised ribs now too.

I assume there’d be some rotation of JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Creighton, and Paisami through both 12 and 13 if Flook goes down.
He had a fair bit of padding under the jersey on the right shoulder. He looked cooked.

Kept going which is great character but he looks like a guy that needs a rest before something breaks.

We don’t need McCabe, Fainga’a repeats.

re the crowd. Pretty disappointing when the Dolphins v Manly on Thursday at Suncorp got 14k and that seemed poor. I reckon they’d have more impact from Magic round than the Rugby as well.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
This time last year we were sliding out the back of the 8. I know we hung on in the end, but our form was dreadful.

To be honest every game I think there have been numerous obvious things we can improve on and, no doubt, even more for the discerning coaches eyes. More consistency would be great. But we’re winning. And we’re beating the mid range Kiwi teams and competing hard against the others.

This team still needs to go up a couple of levels to compete at the business end, but personally I’m pretty happy with how they are travelling. Quite possibly the quarter finals is our ceiling this year which is no real difference from last year (although I’m optimistic we can get have a good run home and take momentum into the finals), but I feel this team is chalk and cheese to last years.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
be honest every game I think there have been numerous obvious things we can improve on and, no doubt, even more for the discerning coaches eyes. More consistency would be great. But we’re winning. And we’re beating the mid range Kiwi teams and competing hard against the others

It seems that injuries start to take their toll around now.

Vest is a significant downgrade on Cormac and Blyth who were the replacement second rows. That kick off miss by Connor put us in a silly position for unnecessary pressure.

Losing Henry and Petaia's in the centres means you have a hurting Flook trying to play but there's only so many decoys in that small backline.

The problem with such short seasona like Super rugby is, if you get injuries in your squad, the season is over before they can return.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
This time last year we were sliding out the back of the 8. I know we hung on in the end, but our form was dreadful.

This team still needs to go up a couple of levels to compete at the business end, but personally I’m pretty happy with how they are travelling. Quite possibly the quarter finals is our ceiling this year which is no real difference from last year (although I’m optimistic we can get have a good run home and take momentum into the finals), but I feel this team is chalk and cheese to last years.
Think the Reds are significantly better this year, they have already won more games than last year, and would probably be favorites in a home quarter from here if Brumbies slip up. An away qf/semi will be very tough.

The scrum is way better and they probably have the best maul in the comp

They are dealing with injuries far better as well. Lots more depth.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

To be honest every game I think there have been numerous obvious things we can improve on and, no doubt, even more for the discerning coaches eyes. More consistency would be great. But we’re winning. And we’re beating the mid range Kiwi teams and competing hard against the others.

Reds look a better team then last year, dare I say more interested or motivated.. felt last year a change was needed. . Kiss of life

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Dunno he wasn't pleased with it but he did get a massive cut blood everywhere. Shouldn't be the refs call either way

It was the same with Kellaway. Only reason why he went off is the independent doc watching the screens on the side line pulled the game officials aside and told them Kellaway needed to be checked.

Unsure why it's not standard for anyone who received a head knock to warrant a card isn't off to be checked rather than being left to make their own judgement call.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Happy enough with the game in general. Can't do much about HIAs.

But why oh why did we end up in a situation where we didn't have a hooker on the bench? Warm up shenanigans happen: and Dobbins is in Brisbane anyway to play for Wests today, so surely it's not a "he was left in Melbourne" situation.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Regarding the crowd numbers and being at the ground there wasn’t 50% less people than the fortnight before. The numbers have been rubbery all season.

I would also add that the atmosphere is impacted by the flow of the game. The more excited free flowing it feels like there is more people there because people are engaged.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

But why oh why did we end up in a situation where we didn't have a hooker on the bench? Warm up shenanigans happen: and Dobbins is in Brisbane anyway to play for Wests today, so surely it's not a "he was left in Melbourne" situation.
Im pretty sure someone said he was at the game, my guess is that by the time the injury was known and looked at kick off had happened and mafi was already selected on the bench.

Don't think they really intended to not have two hookers it was just a bad timed injury..

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just no profile of them I’m afraid. Just can’t compete the with profile of the Broncos. People have less disposable income and their preferences are elsewhere.
The Reds and Tahs have been an issue from the inception. While I get that it was born out of a provincial competition, if the ARU managed the transition from amateur to professional properly we should have been able to support multiple clubs in Sydney and Brisbane.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Reds and Tahs have been an issue from the inception. While I get that it was born out of a provincial competition, if the ARU managed the transition from amateur to professional properly we should have been able to support multiple clubs in Sydney and Brisbane.
Since the late 19th century you mean?

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Watching the replay:
Screenshot-20240510-233519-Gallery.jpg

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member

Dobbins was there and in boots and strapped.
Foote in the post match interview said Mafi twinged a hamstring after the game started.

Attachments

• 2024-Reds-v-Rebels-12.jpg
    2024-Reds-v-Rebels-12.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 22

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Really enjoyed that game, especially the second half. The Rebels D in the first half was fantastic and I especially enjoyed Jooste v Flook at several points. Jooste laid some earth shattering shots on Flook and the bloke got up each time, albeit looking shaky, Credit to both of them.

Campbell's try in the second half was exactly the kind of top drawer wide attack we've seen from the Reds several times this season. Great hands from all concerned. It seems that Kiss has brought a sharper attacking game with these boys this year.

The Rebels pack I thought were outstanding for a large part of the game and it was a real pity that Talakai had to play hooker in the second half. That was really unfortunate for him and his team.