• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2: Reds v Canes. Sunday.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Feel for Flook, I reckon he will cop a bit of heat for his defence this week but it’s probably not all valid. He’s the main defender on the line for two of the Cane’s tries (including the match winner).

I don’t know many centres who are stopping a prop that close to the line in the 85th minute of a game. I’m sure he will be disappointed in himself but I still think he had a good game overall.

Potentially great player but regularly lapses in defence after scoring

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I was really impressed with Vunivalu's efforts in this match, he was even doing double defensive efforts late is this game, massive improvement in workrate

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Rayasi is a total numbskull for getting himself held up like that. He'll never learn. Dude must be 28 years old now ffs.

Proctor is the absolute lynchpin of that backline

Oddjob Aumua might have the tik tok bench press vids and Kirifi might fancy himself as a staunch little moustachioed macho man but, pound-for-pound, Brayden Iose is the one who is going to fuck your shit up when you're not expecting it.

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
I thought the back three let the reds down in game management and kick execution but besides that massive shifts from the others on the park. Hurricanes were winning the physical battle and breakdown for the best part of 50 minutes but seemed to gass out after then.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I was really impressed with Vunivalu's efforts in this match, he was even doing double defensive efforts late is this game, massive improvement in workrate
He seems to be looking for work more, which is great and when he's at his best - but fuck he's still so frustrating with his execution and, at times, still appears to just phone it in. Also rarely looks comfortable in any scenario other than ball in hand out wide.

I do like that he's a big body and knows how to use it though (was a big part of the reason the Canes' ball carrier got held up in that turnover towards the end). It's something the Reds' backline is lacking in comparison to other teams, and really has been since Kerevi left.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Rayasi is a total numbskull for getting himself held up like that. He'll never learn. Dude must be 28 years old now ffs.

Proctor is the absolute lynchpin of that backline

Oddjob Aumua might have the tik tok bench press vids and Kirifi might fancy himself as a staunch little moustachioed macho man but, pound-for-pound, Brayden Iose is the one who is going to fuck your shit up when you're not expecting it.
Got a couple big dudes there eh. Reds could barely contain them even when defending really well.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Good watch the match again (I did this morning, ony highlights) and tell me the lifters weren't in blocking position when setting up first try.
See we can all find things, but really trhey are nothing if ref doesn't blow them.
I agree no particular team got stiffed this weekend. Watching live I thought the refs missed a lot of very obvious things. Just a bit poor across the board.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Good watch the match again (I did this morning, ony highlights) and tell me the lifters weren't in blocking position when setting up first try.
See we can all find things, but really trhey are nothing if ref doesn't blow them.
Just quietly, I don't think Peni Ravai scrummed legally once after he came on either - elbow pointing straight down every time. Other refs are going to ping him off the park.

Did anyone else see Liam Wright pull the Peter O'Mahony move of pushing his propp's elbow back into something resembling the right position?

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/12281615/peter-omahony-andrew-porter-elbow-scrum-wales/

Attachments

• chrome-capture-2024-2-4 (1).png
    chrome-capture-2024-2-4 (1).png
    3.2 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Just quietly, I don't think Peni Ravai scrummed legally once after he came on either - elbow pointing straight down every time. Other refs are going to ping him off the park.

Yep. Though his opposition was overextending and Ravai wasn't finding an easy bind - not that he was bothered by pulling down.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Yep. Though his opposition was overextending and Ravai wasn't finding an easy bind - not that he was bothered by pulling down.
He binds on the side/chest of the TH and then that slips round/down every scrum.

Thought he was /we were really lucky to get the penalty just before the final lineout maul try