• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2 - Reds vs Highlanders at Forsyth Barr

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Same old story, Australian team shit the bed. They kicked possession away for the last 15 minutes everytime, despite being terrible at it. Even more confusing since they made running metres at will.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Good game, the reds will feel unlucky with the result. The biggest positive for me was that they still looked well structured at the end.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Besides the result I thought that was a great game, Reds didn't look like a team which had an average age of 23.

I thought the Kerevi-Petaia centre partnership went really well, was solid defensively and offered plenty on attack. Forwards played really well in attack although they have to sharpen up their defence in tight. Besides that defence was really good I thought, a few slip-ups but no real structural failures.

Jim McKay has done well with the attack overall, forwards were making nice passes, plenty of really nice offloads and nice attacking mindset across the board.

Didn't understand the kick return style they went with, they were trying to avoid giving the highlanders a line out, so maybe they were worried about giving the highlanders a set piece to attack from, but broken play was just as dangerous.

Overall, thoroughly enjoyable game to watch despite my own team losing.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So no starting DP was a concern for many of us, but the playmaking issue was taken by Stewart - Hegarty. And it’s a fine wAy to answer that Query. Got to agree that we saw Jim and attack strategy through the game. Parts were ratty like field kicking, but overall awesome work Reds.

A couple of props really stood up, and our line out looked just as much a weapon as our scrum.

This is a team, in 2019, to get behind.

[Well done Brad.]

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Worth mentioning (after many have posted it) but my god Hegarty is awful at the clearance kick.

Definitely adds more in attack then what Jono Lance would but if a fly half/fullback can’t do his one job then you gotta consider alternative options.

Other then that, thought the reds looked good on the road.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Shouldnt feel unlucky. They should be kicking themselves for losing the plot in the last 15.

they had a try scored against them from an obvious forward pass, they will feel a little unlucky. I don't think they lost the plot either, the highlanders were just a bit better.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
they had a try scored against them from an obvious forward pass, they will feel a little unlucky. I don't think they lost the plot either, the highlanders were just a bit better.
Yeah maybe, Petaia also dodged a pretty clear yellow.

Anyway, if they can clean up their out of hand kicking they look like one hell of a team. Try of the season contender too.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Anybody notice how clean the breakdown was for the halfback. Felt like last year thered be a opponent come crashing over the breakdown and spoil the ruck for the 9 about to pass the ball.