• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2 - Sunwolves vs Waratahs @ 3.15pm AEDST

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
our forwards getting smashed in contact was a pretty big concern. hardly any of them took it forward hard into contact, but when they did made some easy post-contact metres. it can't be just a size issue, its gotta be a lack of mongrel as well.

the other concern for me was gordon, he was very slow at the rucks spending way too much time to organise and this allowed the sunwolves to set their defensive line and pick out targets on the rush up for a big hit. iirc he lost at least 2 rucks standing up trying to organise while we were gettting smashed in the counter ruck.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
our forwards getting smashed in contact was a pretty big concern. hardly any of them took it forward hard into contact, but when they did made some easy post-contact metres. it can't be just a size issue, its gotta be a lack of mongrel as well.

the other concern for me was gordon, he was very slow at the rucks spending way too much time to organise and this allowed the sunwolves to set their defensive line and pick out targets on the rush up for a big hit. iirc he lost at least 2 rucks standing up trying to organise while we were gettting smashed in the counter ruck.
As with most things, it's a lot easier to get the ball out quickly when the ruck isn't formed three metres behind where contact was made.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Imagine the Tahs backs behind the Brumbies pack.

Hard to do much when you have no go-forward or set piece to speak of.

I'm not too worried yet, as it's a long season and history tells us the Wallabies blokes don't hit their stride until 4-6 weeks in. But once again what we know to be true has been confirmed - our pack is too light and we will be relying on moments of Izzy/KB (Kurtley Beale) brilliance more often than not.

THe Tahs pack continue to pass just before contact, now I see that as a good tactic, but not f*cking every time, it becomes too easy to read

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

I'm not too worried yet, as it's a long season and history tells us the Wallabies blokes don't hit their stride until 4-6 weeks in. But once again what we know to be true has been confirmed - our pack is too light and we will be relying on moments of Izzy/KB (Kurtley Beale) brilliance more often than not.

Barbar, I'm sure that's a scenario that would warm the cockles of every Tahs' fan's heart, but truthfully, I am more than happy with the Brumbies backs behind their pack and would not ever wish to see the likes of Foley, Beale , Hunt or Two-dads getting in the way.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Barbar, I'm sure that's a scenario that would warm the cockles of every Tahs' fan's heart, but truthfully, I am more than happy with the Brumbies backs behind their pack and would not ever wish to see the likes of Foley, Beale , Hunt or Two-dads getting in the way.
BR we are all thoroughly aware that you would pick the Brumbies team as the Wallabies. No need to tell us.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

And whose fault is that? Who wants the pack the Tahs have? Gibson. He loves his pack small as for some stupid reason he believes that it works. Last time I checked Slipper was released and the Tahs could have signed him but nope not Gibson.

After the Tahs getting smashed last year by bigger packs the smart idea would be to change thought and get some bigger forwards with go forward. The Tahs bought one and didn't play him this week. One big forward does not fix the pack issues.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BR we are all thoroughly aware that you would pick the Brumbies team as the Wallabies. No need to tell us.

There you go again D, wild generalisations in a one line put down. Seems to be your favoured go to way of posting.

Have a real look over my many posts re the Wallabies. While I would like to see most of the Tahs wannabes put to rest permanently, I have always taken a very balanced view of the players on offer from the Reds and Rebels in addition to the Brumbies. Were I to pick the 15 today, it would be :

Sio, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Rodda, Arnold, Tui, Pocock, Naisarani, Genia, Cooper, Naivalu, Kerevi, Kuridrani, Maddocks, Banks.

The only Tah I would consider on this year's form would be Dempsey at 6. Kepu and Folau would be considered for bench spots, but that's it.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Latu has been cited from this game from what appears to be the incident where Ed Quirk injured his knee. Considering how late in the game it was (79th minute), it could have cost them the win

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There you go again D, wild generalisations in a one line put down. Seems to be your favoured go to way of posting.

Have a real look over my many posts re the Wallabies. While I would like to see most of the Tahs wannabes put to rest permanently, I have always taken a very balanced view of the players on offer from the Reds and Rebels in addition to the Brumbies. Were I to pick the 15 today, it would be :

Sio, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Rodda, Arnold, Tui, Pocock, Naisarani, Genia, Cooper, Naivalu, Kerevi, Kuridrani, Maddocks, Banks.

The only Tah I would consider on this year's form would be Dempsey at 6. Kepu and Folau would be considered for bench spots, but that's it.
Team seems good, not sure how Naivalu or Maddocks have done more than Folau, though.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
You are a bit hard on him there, it’s not a team full of Brumbies that BR advocates, it’s a team with zero Waratahs in it that he wishes for. As the one he ‘selects’ clearly indicates!

southsider

Arch Winning (36)

Jesus there’s nothing worse than someone who is ignorant of their own bias

Just realise and own it! People are a lot more accepting once you accept it yourself

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Just realise and own it! People are a lot more accepting once you accept it yourself

SS I have long recognised my bias against the ultra favourable treatment Tahs players get when this current excuse for a coach (again my bias) puts his teams together.

I am pissed off that the worst Wallaby record in the professional era coincides with those mostly undeserved selections and am excited now by the prospect of a more balanced side being established for the future. I am therefore completely at ease with my biases.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Teams selected after two rounds always make me laugh, each year it happens, each year they couldn't get it more wrong.

Anyone with any knowledge of history understands that super rugby builds in intensity and gets hard in the last 3 or 4 rounds

You have kiwi sides still working out eachothers names and most of the Wobs coming back with a very shortened pre season working out the who they are playing with.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
SS I have long recognised my bias against the ultra favourable treatment Tahs players get when this current excuse for a coach (again my bias) puts his teams together.

I am pissed off that the worst Wallaby record in the professional era coincides with those mostly undeserved selections and am excited now by the prospect of a more balanced side being established for the future. I am therefore completely at ease with my biases.

The Tahs were the best Australian side last year. Maybe if the other teams had performed a bit better they'd have had more players selected and the Wallabies would have also performed better.

Around half the starting XV you picked above (and it's a good XV based both on talent and current form) weren't available for large parts or all of the 2018 test season.

GentleGiant

Allen Oxlade (6)
Surely this has something to do with their pre season trials as well!

I mean, they had a couple of trials pre season and barely played any of their main players or created any combinations, instead playing all their 2nd string players who arent getting much of a look in for the super games. With new coaches, new combinations, new drills, and yet the super players are expecting those to work straight away. Knowing that the tahs have a bye in round 3 and will be another game behind the rest of the comp of the other teams settling into their strides. Unbelievable tahs!

And for round 4, I can see there being much changes in the starting 15 as their depth is so bad and inexperienced

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
To defend BR, is there any Waratah you'd actually pick on form from the last two matches?

As Braveheart81 said it’s a bit of a mundane exercise at this time of year but given off form on the whole two super rounds we’ve had (including teams having byes no less!) I’d go Folau, Khunt, and probably Fitzpatrick (even though I don’t rate him very much)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Clearly the Tahs were really lucky to get out of this game with a win. They played poorly against average opposition and were fortunate to just do enough.

Too many errors and they got sucked into thinking they could play fast and loose against the Sunwolves and rack up points when their skill level was not close to matching it.

The scrum is a real concern. They are going to get dusted up most weeks and they need to mitigate the damage it causes them.

The Reds in week 4 after the bye will be a big challenge. A loss there and things are looking pretty dire. Getting the form back on track a bit and getting the win and they're in a pretty solid position.