• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 4: Rebels v Brumbies - Fri 8th @7:45pm

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
The weirdest fixture in Super Rugby, Rebels will be playing just there third match of the year against the Brumbies who they have already played.

Should be a interesting game, think the Brumbies will be looking to redeem themselves after a poor result on the weekend and the round two lose.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Going by comments in the first few weeks, should be a tough contest for the Rebels going against the Australian conference leaders and Super Rugby title contenders the Brumbies. Third in line wallabies no.10 Quade Cooper vs Wallaby in waiting CLL should be the pick of the battles. ;)

Jokes aside it should be a great contest from 2 evenly matched teams, especially going by how closely fought the first round battle was. The Brums scrum always sends a shiver down my spine, particularly with the inevitable Ainsley recall to the starting side that will probably happen.

If we kick to space and can somehow hold the scrum up, Rebels will win by 7+. If neither of these things happen it'll be the Brums by 3+.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
REBELS (15-1): Dane Haylett-Petty, Jack Maddocks, Tom English, Billy Meakes, Marika Koroibete, Quade Cooper, Will Genia, Isi Naisarani, Brad Wilkin, Rob Leota, Matt Philip, Adam Coleman, Sam Talakai, Robbie Abel, Matt Gibbon
Reserves: Anaru Rangi, Tetera Faulkner, Jermaine Ainsley, Luke Jones, Ross Haylett-Petty, Richard Hardwick, Michael Ruru, Reece Hodge

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Congratulations to Abel, Gibbon and Leota and their debuts (I think?).

Really excited to see what Leota can do with a full game. Though he and Wilkin will be busy with Pocock and the rest of the Brumbies' industrious backrow.

Interested to see why Rangi was dropped. Coleman has come back to start but Hodge remains on the bench.

Pretty strong bench to finish the game too.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Has Matt Ribbon been that good or has he done a Bradbury.

I have little knowledge of the front row craft but things have never looked great in tthe scrum for the rebs this year no matter who was on.

Any old front-rowers able to share insight / thoughts on this one?

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Congratulations to Abel, Gibbon and Leota and their debuts (I think?).

Really excited to see what Leota can do with a full game. Though he and Wilkin will be busy with Pocock and the rest of the Brumbies' industrious backrow.

Interested to see why Rangi was dropped. Coleman has come back to start but Hodge remains on the bench.

Pretty strong bench to finish the game too.

Rangi has looked pretty good from what I've seen. Abel is certainly experienced, and maybe it is a rotation policy to ensure that the hookers are getting good game time. Good looking backline for the Rebels but only 2 backs on the bench so if there are injuries or HIA it could be challenging.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rangi has looked pretty good from what I've seen. Abel is certainly experienced, and maybe it is a rotation policy to ensure that the hookers are getting good game time. Good looking backline for the Rebels but only 2 backs on the bench so if there are injuries or HIA it could be challenging.

I think its more to try and nullify the Brums greatest strength over us, which is the scrum. They will still smash us upfront but hopefully we wont be going backwards like we are on wheels. Im surprised they have gone Leota over Gus, especially with Pocock in the mix.

mexiwi

Bob McCowan (2)
I think its more to try and nullify the Brums greatest strength over us, which is the scrum. They will still smash us upfront but hopefully we wont be going backwards like we are on wheels.

I'm guessing maybe because the scrum was slightly stronger in the second half against the Highlanders when Abel and Gibbon were on, but you can't begrudge Rangi his workrate, he really does hunt that ball and make some tackles.

It does make a pretty good bench, maybe Wessels is hedging for those last 10 minutes.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wessels has said the team changes are about managing workload over the next 8 weeks - the Rebels don't get another break till then, and go to SA next week. i suspect Cottrell has been rested or carrying a niggle, he also said that they wont select on reputation anyone who is carrying an injury; “Anybody who’s not at full capacity, we shouldn’t be putting in there just based on reputation"

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I think he is just stacking the bench looking for a strong finish, look at all that impact the bench will bring in the last 20-30

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I think he is just stacking the bench looking for a strong finish, look at all that impact the bench will bring in the last 20-30
Good point, and in round 1 the Brumbies looked spent in the last 20 min compared to the Rebels

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
assuming no injuries, his pattern in the first two games has been one second row at about 50 min, both flankers together at about 60 - 65 mins and front row between 45 and 55 mins depending.

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
assuming no injuries, his pattern in the first two games has been one second row at about 50 min, both flankers together at about 60 - 65 mins and front row between 45 and 55 mins depending.

Leota & Hardwick both played around that 15 minutes off the bench. Rangi exited the game with 20 minutes to spare and both starting props played 70 minutes. Gibbon came on in the final stages of the game and Ainsley was subbed off with 15 minutes to play when Talakai returned from the blood bin. I expected Hodge to play more minutes off the bench last week, may do this weekend.

Either way it’s a good problem to have for coach Wessels. I expect the Rebels to cement themselves at the top of the Aussie conference with a tight win at home

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies

1. Scott SIO
2. Folau FAINGA’A
3. Allan Ala'alatoa
4. Rory ARNOLD
5. Sam CARTER
6. Rob VALETINI
7. David POCOCK
8. Tom CUSACK
9. Joe POWELL
10. Christian LEALIIFANO
11. Andy MUIRHEAD
12. Tom WRIGHT
13. Tevita KURIDRANI
14. Henry SPEIGHT
15. Tom BANKS

REPLACEMENTS

16. Josh MANN-REA
17. James SLIPPER
18. Leslie LEULUAIALII-MAKIN
19. Murray DOUGLAS
20. Pete SAMU
21. Ryan LONERGAN
22. Wharenui HAWERA
23. Chance PENI

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
V keen to see wright play

Surprised they haven’t found room for Samu in the starting lineup instead of Cusack