• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 4: Rebels v Brumbies - Fri 8th @7:45pm

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Both have decent benches to finish off the game. Rebels have 5(!) Wallabies on the bench but only 45 caps between them.
Brumbies have 97 among 3 players, well pretty much just Slips.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
V keen to see wright play

I'll be interested to see his defence at 12. Easily the most talented attacking schoolboy when he played in 2015 but the selectors were reticent to select him in Aus Schools because he was perceived as a poor defender.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'll be interested to see his defence at 12. Easily the most talented attacking schoolboy when he played in 2015 but the selectors were reticent to select him in Aus Schools because he was perceived as a poor defender.

Hopefully the stint in league got him tackling better, I haven't seen enough of him to know yet..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Some ballsy selections from McKellar for what has to be a must win match for the Brumbies...........

I’m excited about Wright starting and Lonergan on the bench - the latter will be pushing Powell for a starting gig over the next year or two...........

Surprised to see Murray there at the expense of both Enever and Swain, but interested to see how he goes - potential another player made better by his stint in NZ.

With Cusack at no 8, I wonder if we’ll see Pocock pack at the back of the scrum?

If Valetini is the one to get subbed for Samu, the Brumbies will have a very mobile, on the ball backrow.

Also surprised to see Abel starting for the Rebels - he’s a good player that never reached his potential for the Brumbies........... hopefully he doesn’t start firing now.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I also do wonder with Lonergan being a decent goal kicker if we could’ve gone with the gamble of having either Simone or JJH on the bench instead of Hewara?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I also do wonder with Lonergan being a decent goal kicker if we could’ve gone with the gamble of having either Simone or JJH on the bench instead of Hewara?

I'd be more worried about Hewara defense than goal kicking, think his a massive liability in the drying minutes of a game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Robbie Abel is the secret weapon for the Rebs v the Brumbies. Knows the scrum, maul and lineout structures and techniques of the Brumbies inside out. Will be expected to be integral to the Rebs matching up with the Brumbies in the forwards play.

Up front will be crucial to the Brumbies' chances. If they don't dominate, then with Cooper calling the shots the Rebs will run away with the game in the backs.

If the Brumbies win, it will be close, but if the Rebs win it could be another embarrassment.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Robbie Abel is the secret weapon for the Rebs v the Brumbies. Knows the scrum, maul and lineout structures and techniques of the Brumbies inside out. Will be expected to be integral to the Rebs matching up with the Brumbies in the forwards play.

Up front will be crucial to the Brumbies' chances. If they don't dominate, then with Cooper calling the shots the Rebs will run away with the game in the backs.

If the Brumbies win, it will be close, but if the Rebs win it could be another embarrassment.
Hoping for your second scenario. I could handle a stress-free win after last week :)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Does anyone else get the shits over these constant all Australian rounds? With no skin in the game, I don't particularly want either of the Rebels or the Brumbies to lose. Even as a NSW supporter I don't really want to see the Reds smashed off the park.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Does anyone else get the shits over these constant all Australian rounds? With no skin in the game, I don't particularly want either of the Rebels or the Brumbies to lose. Even as a NSW supporter I don't really want to see the Reds smashed off the park.

Yea I’m first and foremost a wallabies supporter

While I support the tahs I’m never truly upset if we lose to another Aussie team, just so long as the Aussie teams beat those cheating kiwis and dirty saffas

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Agree 100%. I always found it strange that the 'derbies' draw the biggest crowds etc. I always preferred the international element of Super rugby.

Also, the provincial rivalries are so damn petty.

Edit: although i'd prefer the Rebels get up just so one Aus team has some real form/momentum.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Agree 100%. I always found it strange that the 'derbies' draw the biggest crowds etc. I always preferred the international element of Super rugby.

Also, the provincial rivalries are so damn petty.

Edit: although i'd prefer the Rebels get up just so one Aus team has some real form/momentum.

Nah I really like the derbies (mainly because I know all the players as opposed to watching games with sth Africa cause they full of nuffies I’ve never heard of) I just don’t particularly care who wins and don’t want anyone getting injured. My heart races every time Pocock goes down injured!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The derbies draw the biggest crowds because they attract two sets of supporters. No?

They generally get the biggest TV audiences but not the biggest crowds.

Games against NZ teams often have the biggest crowds because there are large expat communities here.