• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 4: Rebels v Brumbies - Fri 8th @7:45pm

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Gee, it's only a 10 min chat in the sheds at half time but I'm always amazed at what a difference it often makes. Two very different deals came up the players race for the second stanza.

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
I like what I saw, especially commitment - the Rebels never gave up and were rewarded. Sanchez and Quade renaissance continues, and was impressed with how well the Rebels scrum held up. Ref was a bit "interesting" but I liked what he did with Coleman

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ref was a bit "interesting" but I liked what he did with Coleman

Yep, player welfare has got to come first and the fact that Coleman didn't come back on certainly reinforced the decision to stop the game and have him checked out.........

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
9 penalties to 1 in the second half after 11 v 3 in the first.

And Genia so good at killing off a game. Rebs got a penalty at 75:20 deep in the brumbies half. After that point the rebels had 4 phases total and Brums just 1. The rest was taken up with scrum resets

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
9 penalties to 1 in the second half after 11 v 3 in the first.

And Genia so good at killing off a game. Rebs got a penalty at 75:20 deep in the brumbies half. After that point the rebels had 4 phases total and Brums just 1. The rest was taken up with scrum resets

Personally I think the clock should stop at some stage of scrum resets. Perhaps if first scrum collapses stop the clock at that stage until the ball is back in play.

mexiwi

Bob McCowan (2)
Yep, player welfare has got to come first and the fact that Coleman didn't come back on certainly reinforced the decision to stop the game and have him checked out...

Adam was gone, I could see it from the 3rd Level in the stand. His legs were wobbling all over the place as he tried to move back into the defensive line.

M10

Stan Wickham (3)
This is really getting to be a disturbing pattern for the Brumbies - giving up good size leads to lose games. I was thinking earlier that I'd like to run the stats and see if the Brumbies of the last three-and-a-bit years have given up more half-time leads to lose than the Brumbies of the first 20 years did. I wouldn't be surprised to see it if so, as it was pretty rare from Brumbies teams in the past, but can almost be expected now. I'm thinking they may need to be working with a sports psych on it, because it's getting out of control and I think it's damaged their confidence. The other thing would probably be to have a more conservative game plan to go to when the situation calls for it.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yep, not sure why he was brought off at this stage in the match...

Pocock is playing well but not at superstar level, which is his default mode.
Perhaps the coaching/medical staff are minimising his game time to help get back to his normal standards.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
This is really getting to be a disturbing pattern for the Brumbies - giving up good size leads to lose games. I was thinking earlier that I'd like to run the stats and see if the Brumbies of the last three-and-a-bit years have given up more half-time leads to lose than the Brumbies of the first 20 years did. I wouldn't be surprised to see it if so, as it was pretty rare from Brumbies teams in the past, but can almost be expected now. I'm thinking they may need to be working with a sports psych on it, because it's getting out of control and I think it's damaged their confidence. The other thing would probably be to have a more conservative game plan to go to when the situation calls for it.

They have hired a sports psych this year.

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
The biggest area of improvement in the past weeks for the Rebels team has been the scrum. Held up very firm and was rewarded by the Referee at times in the game. The Brumbies will be filthy they couldn’t get pay in that area tonight.

Will Genia was World Class tonight and QC (Quade Cooper) steered that ship very well. Years previously the Rebels would have lost that one but they are sure happy to win them ugly.

Dene

Frank Nicholson (4)
See picture.

Sick of watching this. Every. Damn. Brumbies. Game.

v8mHZ4H.jpg

Attachments

• g893.png
    g893.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 420

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
About the rules? Happy to be told why.

Sure, because when you write 'not a maul' and 'obstruction' next to pictures......... it doesn't make it so.

It seems like Australian rugby fans have been complaining about the rules of the maul since I can remember........... it's one of those areas where we should aim to match the rest of the world, and while I wish the Brumbies would play more expansive, I don't begrudge them for using the maul as a weapon - Australian teams (including the Wallabies) should do better in this regard (both in attack and defence). Even the best team in the competition used it to their advantage for two tries last weekend.......... it's not going away because armchair fans cry "legalised obstruction" every time it goes against them. [/rant]

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
A maul doesn't necessarily end just because there are no opponents bound to it.

Correct - from WR (World Rugby) rules of the game:
"When players of the team who are not in possession of the ball intentionally leave the maul such that there are no players of that team left in the maul, the maul continues." So as long as the Rebels had bound in the first place to make it a maul then the maul continues even when they have left the maul.

W
h
e
n
p
l
a
y
e
r
s
o
f
t
h
e
t
e
a
m
w
h
o
a
r
e
n
o
t
i
n
p
o
s
s
e
s
s
i
o
n
o
f
t
h
e
b
a
l
l
i
n
t
e
n
t
i
o
n
a
l
l
y
l
e
a
v
e
t
h
e
m
a
u
l
s
u
c
h
t
h
a
t
t
h
e
r
e
a
r
e
n
o
p
l
a
y
e
r
s
o
f
t
h
a
t
t
e
a
m
l
e
f
t
i
n
t
h
e
m
a
u
l
t
h
e
m
a
u
l
c
o
n
t
i
n
u
e
s
W
h
e
n
p
l
a
y
e
r
s
o
f
t
h
e
t
e
a
m
w
h
o
a
r
e
n
o
t
i
n
p
o
s
s
e
s
s
i
o
n
o
f
t
h
e
b
a
l
l
i
n
t
e
n
t
i
o
n
a
l
l
y
l
e
a
v
e
t
h
e
m
a
u
l
s
u
c
h
t
h
a
t
t
h
e
r
e
a
r
e
n
o
p
l
a
y
e
r
s
o
f
t
h
a
t
t
e
a
m
l
e
f
t
i
n
t
h
e
m
a
u
l
t
h
e
m
a
u
l
c
o
n
t
i
n
u
e
s

southsider

Arch Winning (36)

I don’t think you can really say that of the brumbies this time. The rebels were clearly the better team they just kept turning over the ball in the first half, realistically the brumbiesshould never have even been in the lead. And the rebels bench was far superior which didn’t help the brumbies cause in the backend of the game