• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 4: Rebels v Brumbies - Fri 8th @7:45pm

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ah, to be fair I was being a tad lazy and didn't look it up and thought rotation was mentioned.....

Anyways, I thought Cusack played reasonably well and McCaffrey's absence didn't really make a difference.
I agree - lot been said how good form wise McCaffrey playing - equally would same about Cusack who is definitely a quality super rugby player.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, if he keeps this up.... then I think the Link combination of Genia, Cooper, To'omua and Kuridrani could be on the cards.
Tricky one - as form 12 for me is Kerevi but don't think Kerevi an TK necessarily a good combination as both crash ball attackers but Kerevi and Petaia could be better combination given Petaia better ball playing skills than TK. Like TK but all about combinations.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Got to say Derpus, while I understand they are a real skill, I wouldn't mind if they were to go, still reckon you should be able to bring them down, so you can get at the ball!!!
Exactly, they are the random exception to the spirit of rugby, which is constant competition for the ball. A lot of the time, a well set maul on the line simply cant be defended.

Anyway, moving on. Are we all on board the QC (Quade Cooper) hype train yet?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Tricky one - as form 12 for me is Kerevi but don't think Kerevi an TK necessarily a good combination as both crash ball attackers but Kerevi and Petaia could be better combination given Petaia better ball playing skills than TK. Like TK but all about combinations.
Billy Meakes might have something to say about that. To'omua has the reputation, but he was not outstanding last year and wont have long to state his claim.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don’t think you can really say that of the brumbies this time. The rebels were clearly the better team they just kept turning over the ball in the first half, realistically the brumbiesshould never have even been in the lead. And the rebels bench was far superior which didn’t help the brumbies cause in the backend of the game

SS you don't think that the Brumbies maybe should have scored a couple of early tries when first DHP illegally held Keridrani on the tryline and didn't allow the ball to be played, and then when Cooper interfered with the ball on the ground as Joe Powell was about to pick it up and continue the attack? Both incidents happened right on the try line and both should have led to YCs on the offending players.

The lead at half time could well have been quite a bit bigger.

The Brumbies had the better of the first half and the Rebels won the second half. Either side could have won the game and the final score was close as it should have been. Rebels are looking good things to take out the Aussie conference.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
SS you don't think that the Brumbies maybe should have scored a couple of early tries when first DHP illegally held Keridrani on the tryline and didn't allow the ball to be played, and then when Cooper interfered with the ball on the ground as Joe Powell was about to pick it up and continue the attack? Both incidents happened right on the try line and both should have led to YCs on the offending players.

The lead at half time could well have been quite a bit bigger.

The Brumbies had the better of the first half and the Rebels won the second half. Either side could have won the game and the final score was close as it should have been. Rebels are looking good things to take out the Aussie conference.

Let’s not start knitpicking every single woulda shoulda coulda play of the game, brumbies wernt all angels throughout the game either. Rebels were their own worst enemy throughout the first half and when they got their act together they put brumbies to the sword. It was pretty damn clear that rebels were the superior team on the day

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Every number 8 in the comp should be picking the ball up from the back of the scrum against the Rebels and charging at Quade in the defensive line just like Pete Samu did. Seeing that Brumbies try would’ve been music to the ears of Brad Thorn.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Every number 8 in the comp should be picking the ball up from the back of the scrum against the Rebels and charging at Quade in the defensive line just like Pete Samu did. Seeing that Brumbies try would’ve been music to the ears of Brad Thorn.

You've really got it in for Quade and have huge support for Thorn don't you? Whats done is done. Thorn is now trying to work out who he plays at 10, seemingly having decided Stewart isn't providing what he wants and having had Stewart moving all over the backline during a game, he has now gone with Hegarty. Perhaps he is waiting for McGahan to be fit or maybe Hegarty will deliver, but even then having a big number 8 running at you is hard to combat which is why teams often use that tactic on the 10. It happens.

Quade is playing well generally for the Rebels so good for him, if you select your 10 primarily for their defensive capabilities then you are going to be missing out somewhere else.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, if he keeps this up.... then I think the Link combination of Genia, Cooper, To'omua and Kuridrani could be on the cards.

Hahaha!

If this keeps up, put the Rebels in gold jumpers, might booster with a prop or two, Folau might make the bench. Maybe. Oh and Pocock.

God it must be good to live in Melbourne right now!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hahaha!

If this keeps up, put the Rebels in gold jumpers, might booster with a prop or two, Folau might make the bench. Maybe. Oh and Pocock.

God it must be good to live in Melbourne right now!
Reds/Brumbies front row, Folau on a wing and the Rebels make up the rest.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
You've really got it in for Quade and have huge support for Thorn don't you? Whats done is done. Thorn is now trying to work out who he plays at 10, seemingly having decided Stewart isn't providing what he wants and having had Stewart moving all over the backline during a game, he has now gone with Hegarty. Perhaps he is waiting for McGahan to be fit or maybe Hegarty will deliver, but even then having a big number 8 running at you is hard to combat which is why teams often use that tactic on the 10. It happens.

Quade is playing well generally for the Rebels so good for him, if you select your 10 primarily for their defensive capabilities then you are going to be missing out somewhere else.
Yeah I genuinely think Hamish Stewart would have made that tackle though. I think a lot of the Reds backline being unsettled is Jim McKay coming in fresh as coach and probably wanting to do too much too quickly. Don’t need to be too funky ...