• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 4: Rebels v Brumbies - Fri 8th @7:45pm

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I mentioned before, but I can't really find much fault in the Brumbies starting pack and thought they had it over the Rebels forwards for 2/3 of the game...........

- set piece was strong, and of course the ever reliable driving maul
- creating important turnovers in the tackle when the Rebels got down to their end of the field in the first half
- fast ball for the backs, who unfortunately didn't know what to do with it - Powell too often waiting at the back with the ball waiting for someone to pass to
- strong carries from a number of players including Sio, AAA, Valetini and Samu (the super sub)
- Cusack put in a lot of good work, and they didn't seem to miss McCaffrey........ the backrow depth is good

But in the end the Rebels had a stronger bench, and the key was the 9-10-12 combination of Genia, Cooper and Meakes who had it all over their opponents, and gave their outside backs the space to tear the Brumbies a new one.

The Rebels midfield also did well to put pressure on the Brumbies, and really took advantage of Wright's inexperience - a game too soon for him.

I hope the Brumbies can get Taliauli and Pulu back soon......... I don't think Speight is still deserving of a guaranteed start, and appears to make the wrong decision every time.

And there's got to be questions asked about Fisher's new role as defence coach - too many times this year an opposite winger has been able to stroll over with hardly a defender in reach.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah I genuinely think Hamish Stewart would have made that tackle though. I think a lot of the Reds backline being unsettled is Jim McKay coming in fresh as coach and probably wanting to do too much too quickly. Don’t need to be too funky .

Agree with this. And it would have no impact on my decision as to what is needed in a fly half, the core duties. Stewart has a long way to go.

AND Stewart would be useless, utterly, in doing what Wessels is looking for at the Rebels. Wessels approach has strengths, I'll agree so does Thorn. They are certainly different.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yes, and no... as a Brumbies supporter. :mad:

Do you find yourself slipping to the Rebels? I'm a Melbourne based reds fan but every year I feel myself getting closer and closer to the Rebels. Recent form certainly helps heaps and with my favourite halves pairing.

Reactions: dru

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Do you find yourself slipping to the Rebels? I'm a Melbourne based reds fan but every year I feel myself getting closer and closer to the Rebels. Recent form certainly helps heaps and with my favourite halves pairing.

Not really.......... the Force debacle and how that propped up the Rebels left a sour taste in my mouth, and now after four straight losses I'm out for blood.

Will still likely support them against the Tahs though..........

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Exactly, they are the random exception to the spirit of rugby, which is constant competition for the ball. A lot of the time, a well set maul on the line simply cant be defended.

Anyway, moving on. Are we all on board the QC (Quade Cooper) hype train yet?

Well mate ,I for one was never on or off the train, I still think he a bloody good 10 without being what I would call a great one, certainly looks like he should be close to going to WC .

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Not really.... the Force debacle and how that propped up the Rebels left a sour taste in my mouth, and now after four straight losses I'm out for blood.

Will still likely support them against the Tahs though....

Can we stop with the Force debacle already. Please, what happened to the Force was not due to Melbourne Rebels - it was RA 100%. Luckily we were able to help out and take our fair share of players and coaches who otherwise were left up sh** creek. In other news, if memory serves me, it does look like we had two players from the 2017 roster still playing and the rest are all newbies to the club - interesting concept, but seems to work under DWessels, yes? (especially loving Genia and Cooper - neither from Force :) )

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I mentioned before, but I can't really find much fault in the Brumbies starting pack and thought they had it over the Rebels forwards for 2/3 of the game.....

- set piece was strong, and of course the ever reliable driving maul
- creating important turnovers in the tackle when the Rebels got down to their end of the field in the first half
- fast ball for the backs, who unfortunately didn't know what to do with it - Powell too often waiting at the back with the ball waiting for someone to pass to
- strong carries from a number of players including Sio, AAA, Valetini and Samu (the super sub)
- Cusack put in a lot of good work, and they didn't seem to miss McCaffrey.... the backrow depth is good

But in the end the Rebels had a stronger bench, and the key was the 9-10-12 combination of Genia, Cooper and Meakes who had it all over their opponents, and gave their outside backs the space to tear the Brumbies a new one.

The Rebels midfield also did well to put pressure on the Brumbies, and really took advantage of Wright's inexperience - a game too soon for him.

I hope the Brumbies can get Taliauli and Pulu back soon... I don't think Speight is still deserving of a guaranteed start, and appears to make the wrong decision every time.

And there's got to be questions asked about Fisher's new role as defence coach - too many times this year an opposite winger has been able to stroll over with hardly a defender in reach.

Pretty much on the money with all of those points Slim. I would add that Christian's in-field kicking game is atrocious. What is the point of a bomb, or box kick, within their own 22m area if the chasers are not going to compete for the ball? I think there have now been two or three tries scored against the Brumbies this year from exactly that tactic.

Line kicking was also way down on metres gained compared with Simone's line kicks. Simone did miss touch once against the Hurricanes but I think that has been the only occasion.

For the life of me, I cannot fathom why Pete Samu doesn't start. He looks to be an 80 minute player to me and his impact is second only to Pocock.

I still see a bit more in Speight than you apparently do, but I agree we need Taliauli back i n Muirhead's spot asap. Andrew looks good with ball in hand, and actually is, but his defense has let in multiple tries this year.

The coaching mix is a bit of a mystery too. Most posters seem to think that Laurie is responsible for the almost indefensible rolling maul from the Brumbies. But, as you say, this year he is the defense coach with McKellar himself coaching the forwards. The maul is reminiscent of the way McKellar coached the Vikings in the NRC a couple of years ago. It has his mark written all over it. On the other hand, the defense has deteriorated this year with Laurie taking over from Peter Ryan. Something definitely needs to be done on that front.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The coaching mix is a bit of a mystery too. Most posters seem to think that Laurie is responsible for the almost indefensible rolling maul from the Brumbies. But, as you say, this year he is the defense coach with McKellar himself coaching the forwards. The maul is reminiscent of the way McKellar coached the Vikings in the NRC a couple of years ago. It has his mark written all over it. On the other hand, the defense has deteriorated this year with Laurie taking over from Peter Ryan. Something definitely needs to be done on that front.

I would suspect that this bloke is more likely the architect behind the maul:
https://www.brumbies.com.au/2018/11/murphy-joins-brumbies-coaching-team-for-2019/

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...y-prop-to-coaching-staff-20181122-p50hko.html

http://www.rupa.com.au/rupa-news/story/ruaidhri-swaps-pick--gos-for-piccolos

As for defence, based on the conversation I had with Laurie pre-season, he was only asked to take on responsibility for the defence less than 3 week before the opening game. I feel sorry for him. I believe that you would need to be working on the defensive structures and drills months in advance **. Its really un-surprising we are so poor defensively and i cant see it changing quickly.

The fact that it was a last minute decision by McKellar is culpable.

** except if your Nathan Grey and can fix it in a week as claimed in the media and backed by Cheika.

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Replacements made the difference in the end
Poor refereeing he reffed rebels in first half and brumbies in the second
McCaffery adds a LOT of starch to that pack imo
Love the way DHP is playing

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
As for defence, based on the conversation I had with Laurie pre-season, he was only asked to take on responsibility for the defence less than 3 week before the opening game. I feel sorry for him. I believe that you would need to be working on the defensive structures and drills months in advance **. Its really un-surprising we are so poor defensively and i cant see it changing quickly.

Given that the Brumbies lineup is pretty stable with a lot of experienced players who have played for the team for quite a while, surely they have some understanding of defence themselves?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Given that the Brumbies lineup is pretty stable with a lot of experienced players who have played for the team for quite a while, surely they have some understanding of defence themselves?
I don't think they are they stable. The wingers keep changing and most are suspect in defence. The centres partnership has not been set since last year as inside centre is still up for debate. 6 and 8 keep changing and 7 is dependant on if Pocock is fit. Locks rotating, newish bench props and a young 3rd hooker........

Putting that aside, I think just looking at the defence thus far in 2019 pretty much says no, not much has carried over and here is only a limited understanding.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Dont know why they dropped Simone. He had been perferming better than i had expected. Obviously he made a few glaring errors, but i reckon he was showing enough promise to persist with him.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Think he might be back soon D. Tom Wright was certainly out of place on Friday. I think he probably needs to have quite a bit of time on the wing, off the bench, to get back into the game before coming in closer later on.

The alternative at 12 is to play Hawera at 10 and move Christian to 12. Christian has certainly had less than stellar games against the Rebels (twice) and Hurricanes despite the starring role against the Chiefs. His kicking game from hand is woeful while his goal kicking is also hit and miss. Simone's boot was sorely missed on Friday.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Genia was the difference in this game. He is playing unbelievably well at the moment and really led the comeback.

He is so far and away our best halfback.

And is utilised best when he is charge of driving the pigs off flat fast ball.

Can the Wobs play that way? We can hope

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
And is utilised best when he is charge of driving the pigs off flat fast ball.

Can the Wobs play that way? We can hope

Is that like all Halfbacks though ? We really should be running the game off him and not our 10 (who ever it is) Genia is world class can't say that about Foley Quade or Leo..:)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Is that like all Halfbacks though ? We really should be running the game off him and not our 10 (who ever it is) Genia is world class can't say that about Foley Quade or Leo..:)

I don't think so, it is a game plan decision

Do you drive around the corner flat from the nine or is the nine to clear the ball to the 10 channel a bit wider.

Both has negatives, the Rebels were stopped by the ponies in the first half because they stopped the momentum and slowed the ball. No go forward lead to a solid, well spaced defensive line which lead to quade not getting mismatches

Using space to the 10 channel is how the Tahs run with the ball going to a pod, or behind the pod the foley or beale as they use more width to stretch the defense

Reactions: dru