• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5 - Brumbies v Reds GIO 18/3

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
You don’t think they are accountable???

Nic Berry refs a game and the National Director of South African rugby is allowed to broadcast a 30 minute hatchet job on him, and then post joke YouTube clips about it later while Nic admits it has had a lasting psychological impact on him.

Severe example - sure. But the reality is that referees are scrutinised to a degree and trialled in public to a level most people could never relate to - except probably politicians. And it is virtually impossible for them to win.

Take the weekends game. The refs stopped the game for 5-6 minutes to review three issues of foul play. And they got panned for it (although mostly the commentators were at least generous enough to acknowledge it wasn’t their fault). But each of the players committed an offence that has been a card offence for at least a few years now. Nasser was possibly unlucky - but the other two were clear cards. I didn’t hear one commentator criticise the players for being stupid enough to put themselves in that position. Who should actually be held accountable there?

Look - it is unfair that I am directing this all at you specifically. We all of our moments, including me, and society in general seems to have become much more willing to engage in public condemnation. There have been some really great games of rugby so far in SRP (Super Rugby Pacific). It would be really nice if we could get to the end of a couple of them without having to read a whole heap of focus on the ref.

But it would be nice BR to see you stop this path you’ve gone down where it seems you seemingly can’t help yourself but bag the ref after pretty much every game.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
While not wanting to constantly blame referee errors or questionable decisions, a bit more accountability on their part would not go astray.
As with the players, the referees all review their performances and key decisions with their higher ups and peers each week following a match. These are professionals who put in a hell of a lot of work. Just because they aren’t getting benched for weeks or hanged in the streets following a decision you don’t agree with doesn’t mean there isn’t accountability.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
"Rennie was in Canberra, along with all the Wallabies coaches and team management, to do some pre-season planning of their own ahead of a big season which includes an England Tour and hopefully, an uninterrupted Rugby Championship.

And he was in Canberra, because it was easier for Dan McKellar and less intrusive on the Brumbies to work on Wallabies planning around their sessions, rather than have McKellar travel up to Queensland where most of the Wallabies staff are now based for a couple of days."

More and more favourtism given to the Brumbies organisation. Would hate for the star organisation to never be inconvenienced!

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Can we not start bitching about the refs before we even hit the field. No offence BR, but your really stating to come across as a serial complainer. And, despite all the stick I like to give you, I have always thought you were better than that.

The ref will absolutely have a critical outcome on the game. One of the teams will almost certainly manage the ref better than the other. Both teams will get the off lucky call. Some of those might be very lucky. But that’s rugby. Teams get every chance to familiarise themselves with the ref and his mannerisms.

Whatever the refs influence the players get every opportunity to decide the game. If they leave themselves up to the mercy of 1-2 bad calls, well tough luck.
Isn't it always the ref's fault for not catching the ...%insert opposing team name% from cheating everytime they get a call against them..

I called someone out in the Force // Brumbies game for calling the ref a cheat.. but he said he wasn't calling him a cheat, just that it was really suspicious that the calls went against the Force and the ref was from the east coast..

Reactions: TSR

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
As with the players, the referees all review their performances and key decisions with their higher ups and peers each week following a match. These are professionals who put in a hell of a lot of work. Just because they aren’t getting benched for weeks or hanged in the streets following a decision you don’t agree with doesn’t mean there isn’t accountability.
Ben O'Keeffe from one of his videos reviews all his games with stuff like this so its not like they dont review it and see where they went wrong..

Video

1647324295323.png

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
"Rennie was in Canberra, along with all the Wallabies coaches and team management, to do some pre-season planning of their own ahead of a big season which includes an England Tour and hopefully, an uninterrupted Rugby Championship.

And he was in Canberra, because it was easier for Dan McKellar and less intrusive on the Brumbies to work on Wallabies planning around their sessions, rather than have McKellar travel up to Queensland where most of the Wallabies staff are now based for a couple of days."

More and more favourtism given to the Brumbies organisation. Would hate for the star organisation to never be inconvenienced!
Maybe we just get favoritism because we are 1st on the table.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Isaac Henry’s back at training in the Reds’ socials. Maybe one more week to go until he’s available for selection?

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
BRUMBIES (1-15): James Slipper, Folau Fainga'a, Allan Ala'alatoa (c), Darcy Swain, Nick Frost, Rob Valetini, Jahrome Brown, Pete Samu, Nic White, Noah Lolesio, Andy Muirhead, Irae Simone, Len Ikitau, Tom Wright, Tom Banks

RESERVES: Connal McInerney, Scott Sio, Sefo Kautai, Tom Hooper, Luke Reimer, Ryan Lonergan, Chris Feauai-Sautia, Jesse Mogg

REDS (1-15): Dane Zander, Josh Nasser, Taniela Tupou, Ryan Smith, Angus Blyth, Seru Uru, Fraser McReight (co-c), Harry Wilson, Kalani Thomas, James O'Connor, Josh Flook, Hamish Stewart, Hunter Paisami, Jock Campbell, Jordan Petaia

RESERVES: Matt Faessler, Harry Hoopert, Feao Fotuaika, Connor Vest, Liam Wright (co-c), Spencer Jeans, Lawson Creighton, Isaac Henry

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
16 Wallabies in the Brumbies side, Reds only have 7.

Brumbies should waltz home with this one based on the number of wallaby caps.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
The Brumbies are not stringing it together this year as well as the previous few years. If we can hold up in the scrum, I think we can get over them in most areas if all players do their bit and mitigate the stupid errors.

Reactions: TSR

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The Brumbies are not stringing it together this year as well as the previous few years. If we can hold up in the scrum, I think we can get over them in most areas if all players do their bit and mitigate the stupid errors.

Watch out in the line outs though. Scrum favour to us, slightly. Maul favour the Brums, slightly. Kicking game? to be seen. Suspect territory may drive this game. Both teams can take points when they enter the red zone solidly.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Like your confidence RR - although if anything I thought the Brumbies looked like they had taken another step up. Their young guys are stepping up well - but it is their king pins for me that are really playing well. Slipper, Ala'alatoa, Swain (still a young guy - but really developing into a fine young lock), Valetini, White, Simone and Banks leading the way. I though Samu & Ikitau were not as good on the weekend but have been good prior to that and Wright has been up and down but good the weekend just passed.

Having said that I really like how the Reds are building. I feel like the are happy to build off their strong defence and improve the attack as the season progresses.

Both teams can have issues with discipline and I feel it could be a key to the game. Particularly from the Refs POV, their maul defence is much improved but we don’t want to give the Brumbies multiple free shots at the line.