• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5: Drua v Waratahs - Saturday 12pm AEDT

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
GJFExJKbkAAiuu1.jpeg

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Players unavailable for selection:
  • David Porecki - Achillies (TBC)
  • Thomas Lambert - Knee (Season)
  • Archer Holz - Shoulder (Round 8)
  • Mesu Kunavula – Knee (Season)
  • Lalakai Foketi - Neck (Round 6+)
  • Daniel Botha - Concussion and neck (Round 6+)
  • Ned Slack-Smith - Concussion (TBC)
Seems to be getting better although still weeks from any of these players being seen. Shame to see TBC still next to Porecki.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
It looks like one of those days where you stuff around with the font and forget to fix it before your press 'send'!
Hopefully that front row performs better than last week. Still waiting to see Harrison back, if only off the bench. If it were me I'd probably have Wilson off the bench over Reilly, whose been good but doesn't have the versatility to cover multiple positions that Wilson does.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It's the legibility related to size/layout//font colour that's an issue imo - plus the graphics (particularly the player inserts) are just... not great. Little things, but you expect more from a professional marketing team

Also there's like 7 different fonts on those graphics. Faux kiddie scrawl aside the choice of font for starters/finishers seems insane. Why add that one in when you're already trying to do something different with the player names and you've got to work with the super rugby kids round logo doing it's own thing.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Any word on what's going on with Teddy Wilson? Thought he was great off the bench in the first round, seems like they've lost confidence in him and barely played him a couple of weeks in a row before dropping him, but it feels they're missing a trick not having (and using) him for 20 minutes of pace at the end.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Any word on what's going on with Teddy Wilson? Thought he was great off the bench in the first round, seems like they've lost confidence in him and barely played him a couple of weeks in a row before dropping him, but it feels they're missing a trick not having (and using) him for 20 minutes of pace at the end.

Last week I think it was a clear decision for him to get more minutes starting for the Waratahs A team instead of less than 10 minutes for the Tahs. I am not sure if the A team is playing again this weekend but hopefully that's the case given he's been left out.

I think they need to bite the bullet and decide that the reserve half is going to get 20 minutes minimum and play Wilson in that role. It's a bit harder when we're picking a 6:2 bench. You're always likely to delay at least one of those back replacements until very late in the game just in case.

I looked it up and McDermott has played even more minutes starting for the Reds with Kalani Thomas barely getting used and Ryan Lonergan is just shy of Gordon's minutes but is also generally playing over 70 minutes a game.

It's definitely an issue for player development.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Last week I think it was a clear decision for him to get more minutes starting for the Waratahs A team instead of less than 10 minutes for the Tahs. I am not sure if the A team is playing again this weekend but hopefully that's the case given he's been left out.

I think they need to bite the bullet and decide that the reserve half is going to get 20 minutes minimum and play Wilson in that role. It's a bit harder when we're picking a 6:2 bench. You're always likely to delay at least one of those back replacements until very late in the game just in case.

I looked it up and McDermott has played even more minutes starting for the Reds with Kalani Thomas barely getting used and Ryan Lonergan is just shy of Gordon's minutes but is also generally playing over 70 minutes a game.

Yeah, if they're not going to use him better he plays the A game, but development aside I think they're losing out on field not having him out there for 20.

As far as Kalani goes I'd like to see him get more minutes, but he has had plenty of time over the past few seasons and his play compared to McDermott's isn't quite as much of a gear change.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Interesting re the mins for the 9s.

Halfback and Hooker are two key positions we aren’t flush with world class players or depth. We certainly aren’t developing Halfbacks with those minutes. Some backups aren’t deserving of huge minutes tbf and the Reds have had some close games where Kiss may have been reluctant to take Tate off.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Also there's like 7 different fonts on those graphics. Faux kiddie scrawl aside the choice of font for starters/finishers seems insane. Why add that one in when you're already trying to do something different with the player names and you've got to work with the super rugby kids round logo doing it's own thing.
maybe they got a kid to do it for kids round. I don't particularly like it whatever the reason but I'm not putting it very high on the list of Tahs issues

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

It’s a hard one in terms of getting a result though.

You want player development but the Tahs have also had two close losses and you can understand Coleman wanting Gordon out there as long as possible.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It’s a hard one in terms of getting a result though.

You want player development but the Tahs have also had two close losses and you can understand Coleman wanting Gordon out there as long as possible.

Agreed.

Those are the most difficult ones particularly when the player you're replacing is the captain and something of a talisman for the team.

Reactions: TSR

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Sinclair on bench??? anyone have any idea why?
Who do you drop to put him on? The worst performer in that starting pack IMO is Gleeson. And the Drua are big boys who need stopping quickly so maybe that's why they are still selecting him to start.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It’s all hindsight isn’t it? Or is it? But isn’t expected to be a quagmire this weekend? Sinclair would seem more suitable to that game than Gleeson.