• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5: Rebels v Waratahs, Friday the 24th of March AAMI Park @7:40

Status
Not open for further replies.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
If ever a team needed sport psychologist to deal with pressure! As soon as the momentum shifts and pressure goes on they completely morph into basket case.

Was it my imagination or did the Rebels defence back off and become passive in that second half once they were under pressure, and all exits defaulted back to the panicked just kick it up field anywhere tactic?

Agreed, and I can add they seemed to have nothing left in the tank, so well done boys, but who ever gave them their half time gee up should be shot.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Nope...

494008-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
Slim 293 I'd be quite happy for Cloke to kick 40 or 50 goals this year and prove Buckley wrong. Buckley shafted him. (KevinO I rate Buckley's coaching at a similar level that you rate TT).

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Retallick and Day concussion protocols for next week. English ankle, Sefa dislocated his shoulder. Did not say what was wrong with Hanson. We only had 14 on the field when Colby was sent off so was trying to finish the game with 13 according to TT interview.

Excuses are not good enough. When is McMahon back? Timani should be next week and will need to play lock. Smith would still be at least 6 weeks away.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

KevinO according to a couple of articles I have read Hanson was off with concussion too.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Retallick and Day concussion protocols for next week. English ankle, Sefa dislocated his shoulder. Did not say what was wrong with Hanson. We only had 14 on the field when Colby was sent off so was trying to finish the game with 13 according to TT interview.

Excuses are not good enough. When is McMahon back? Timani should be next week and will need to play lock. Smith would still be at least 6 weeks away.

Honestly it didn't look like Retailing should have returned. Duty of care.

As far as excuses go I reckon playing with 13 and a few others out on their feet is a pretty solid one...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
No Lineout + No Scrum = No Ball = NO POINTS
must be able to compete at set piece , look what we can do with the ball in first half .,

How long has it been since there was any confidence in our set piece? You can't have a sub-par set piece and expect to compete.

What was good? The back row ran themselves into the ground and had a blinder.

Porkchop looks more assured at 5/8 every week.

Koroibete had a great game.

Leafa was very unlucky in the final few minutes. Had it happened at any other point it'd be glossed over but it was pivotal.

Shallow analysis is that we didn't have the gas and depth to run it out for 80 minutes. Hopefully the injury gods smile and when we come back to full strength we'll see improvements.

Onwards.

If ever a team needed sport psychologist to deal with pressure! As soon as the momentum shifts and pressure goes on they completely morph into basket case.

Was it my imagination or did the Rebels defence back off and become passive in that second half once they were under pressure, and all exits defaulted back to the panicked just kick it up field anywhere tactic?

Penalty count in the 2nd half 9-3 and the Rebels only had 25% posession.
So many time the Tahs forwards dived into a ruck off their feet and npt once was it fucking called.

I am very angry right now. Refereeing was abysmal. But the Rebels should have been better than that.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Said it at half time. Waratahs on top in scrum and line-out. Took the ball back nearly every time.
If we cannot secure our own line out and scrum then we will stuffed no matter who we play.
We only had 14 on the field when Colby was sent off so was trying to finish the game with 13 according to TT interview.

Excuses are not good enough.

so i agree with much of this. but a few pertinent points.
often when teams are under the pump the penalty count goes against them as they infringe in desperate situations (Colby at the end), but its often that the team is under the pump because they aren't getting any 50/50 calls, hard to tell sometimes.

my biggest beefs are the continued set piece failure, possibly excusable last night with the second row mayhem, but the line out has been a shambles for two years at least. and we still regularly struggle at scrum time.

the second is there appears to be absolutely no on field leadership, direction or smarts, apart from Mafi (who once again was magnificent) there was no inspirational play in the second half, Inman did his best when he came on, but the captain just isn't the sort of "follow me boys" type. in contradistinction have a look at Hooper in the last 20, he was everywhere. i also question his decision making, just before half time he got Hodge to kick for goal instead of into the corner, the Tahs were on the ropes, and then after the half he took the line out option instead of the three which would have put the Rebels up by 22. We lost the line out (Leafa's first throw) and the Tahs got their momentum back. the Rebels just seem to play really dumb football at times.

finally, thats four games where the Rebels have been slaughtered in the second half, two games in a row we have given up close to 20 points in the last 10 to 15 minutes. are they fit enough ?

and TT you still had two reserves on the bench so WTF if the finished with only 13 - you idiot !

long rant but i am more disappointed in a result this morning than i have been for a long time. i really cant see them winning more than 3 -4 games if any this season, and perhaps our interstate friends are correct, this franchise is never going to fly, which is a very great shame.

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
not wanting to blame the ref too much but as far as i could see almost none of the tahs lineout throws were straight
charging through the middle of the ruck seems to be an effective tactic , worked last week as well Mafi , outstanding ( again) if we can get Timani , McMahon and Mafi on the field at the one time and all fit , should be good ,

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Exciting game. Shame the Rebels couldn't finish off. Congrats to the Tahs - great escape

I don't support either team but the Referee was absolute shit. He was a joke and should be demoted to the never to ref again list.

N

NTT

You had one job Rebels! One job! Hold onto the halftime lead.
Aussie teams need to learn to play the game out. Cant play negative football to try and protect a lead, gotta keep attacking.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i'm a pretty harsh critic of the Rebels at times and they were very tentative and reactionary in the second half but having watched a replay, The Rebels still had opportunities to score, even in the 73rd minute if Reid holds on to a pass he is through a gap into the Tahs backfield.

The decision against Leafa was an absolute disgrace, completely wrong and in reality did affect the result. No penalty, no lineout to the Tahs, no Yellow card and no two trys. ah well !

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
The other thing that is annoying is our set piece, we struggled to win our own scrum or own lineout.

Also Oztimmay after the match I ventured across the bridge for the last quarter and a half at the G and saw the Pies lose too.

Nice one. I just went home and sulked at the loss. My feelings well expressed by others who have previously posted.

fuck it, move on. Time to beat the Highlanders. Hope we get some of our cattle back. FEarthe Sefa is out for a while. Bring in Maddocks, McGregor, Joran U. Hope Big Red and Mad Dog aren't too far off.

AFL_Converted

Charlie Fox (21)
I'd like to see Maddocks given another go for Sefa. Like what I saw in game one.

Still not convinced about 10. I like Jack D at fullback but his defense needs to improve.

English gives us an elusive running 13, Inna's a strong running line bender. Handy options to have.

Praying for the speedy recovery of our locks. The lack of jumpers in the lineout is killing us.

Status
Not open for further replies.