• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5, Sunwolves v Reds, 16/3 @ Tokyo

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Who would have ever thought the Sunwolves would be favourites by the Bookies- not me but there you have it. Will Thor be "rested" . Surely Hamish will be selected over injured Hegarty.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Stories stirring that Lucas will be 10 and Stewart 15.

Stewart, of course, played 15 last year in the Sunwolves loss in Japan with Benny Lucas playing 9.

Stewart was found out massively positionally, with Parker's kicking finding him out.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)

Stewart, of course, played 15 last year in the Sunwolves loss in Japan with Benny Lucas playing 9.

Stewart was found out massively positionally, with Parker's kicking finding him out.

Is Parker carrying an injury though? He played off the bench last week & I didn't hear why (stuffed my fantasy side up big time)

BrutalTruth

Bob McCowan (2)
I really think Korczyk would be a great addition for the Reds, especially needing more dominance at the breakdown. CFS I believe is a great player, it's a shame he looks so disinterested on the field. When he gets the ball, he is very dominant, however every touch is usually under pressure.. would love to see him in space. I find with the reds the ball rarely makes it past the midfield. Last weekend the reds looked like they had no clue what to do at the end of the game and lacked that desire to score tries.

6. Higgers or ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
7. Korczyk
8. Timu
20. Wright / ASY (Angus Scott-Young)

B

Bobby Sands

Is that right?

Wonder if Hardy is a chance for 15.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Last years trip to Tokyo was about as bad as it gets. Shipping 63 points to the worst team in the comp. Hopefully that was the Reds nadir and Thorn gets them up for the game this year

edit - looked a fair old team on paper from last year. Lots of Wallabies and nearly-Wallabies there

St.George Queensland Reds team to play Sunwolves
1:05pm AEST, Saturday 12 May – Prince Chichibu Memorial Stadium, Tokyo

1. James Slipper (C) – Bond University
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank
3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
4. Izack Rodda – Easts
5. Kane Douglas – Norths (100th Super Rugby cap)
6. Adam Korczyk –University of Queensland
7. George Smith – Brothers
8. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
9. Ben Lucas – Sunnybank
10. Jono Lance – University of Queensland
11. Jordan Petaia – Wests
12. Samu Kerevi – Souths
13. Chris Feauai-Sautia – Souths
14. Filipo Daugunu – Wests
15. Hamish Stewart – Bond University

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Last years trip to Tokyo was about as bad as it gets. Shipping 63 points to the worst team in the comp. Hopefully that was the Reds nadir and Thorn gets them up for the game this year

edit - looked a fair old team on paper from last year. Lots of Wallabies and nearly-Wallabies there

St.George Queensland Reds team to play Sunwolves
1:05pm AEST, Saturday 12 May – Prince Chichibu Memorial Stadium, Tokyo
1. James Slipper (C) – Bond University
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank
3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
4. Izack Rodda – Easts
5. Kane Douglas – Norths (100th Super Rugby cap)
6. Adam Korczyk –University of Queensland
7. George Smith – Brothers
8. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
9. Ben Lucas – Sunnybank
10. Jono Lance – University of Queensland
11. Jordan Petaia – Wests
12. Samu Kerevi – Souths
13. Chris Feauai-Sautia – Souths
14. Filipo Daugunu – Wests

Yep we certainly didn't lose last years match on paper! It went wrong somehwere during those pesky 80 minutes on the field. :rolleyes::D

B

Bobby Sands

I think Wright has been ok. I really don't think he has been having much of an impact on the game. I am not going to bag the kid, all I am saying is that based on his performances it will do no harm to give McReight a go. Personally I think they're both still developing and McReight appears to be the most physically developed of the pair. I wouldn't be upset to see Wilson given a game or two this year as I don't think we will be pushing for the GF unfortunately. Blood them and rotate them to keep all their bodies fresh unless one is heads and shoulders better than the other two(probably more of a discussion for the Reds 2019 thread).

Agree regarding Hockings, whilst not the most damaging ball runner he offers a lot pretty much everywhere else. He would come close to having the best hands in the squad. I hope he can throw on another 5-10kgs over the next couple of years.

McReight & Wilson are as close as brothers as well.

Bodes well for a senior combo, similar to Wright and ASY (Angus Scott-Young).

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Hard to have much of a crack at your 7 for not doing enough at the breakdown when your team had the bulk of possession last game.

Wright forced one penalty didn't he? I'm pretty sure the Tahs only had 40 something rucks total in the match.

In a game like that you should probably be more critical of him not having more impact on attack.

That's spot on and exactly what I am most critical of him. Some of his defensive work, positioning and tackling, hasn't great either. Again I'm not here to bag him, he is a kid like the other 2 contenders and I don't expect them to be world beaters at this stage. My point being I don't believe he has really nailed down his spot and more so that I see positives in all 3 of them being given some game time unless one of them really stands out.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I can't say I feel confident.

1. JP Smith – GPS
2. Alex Mafi – Bond University
3. Ruan Smith – GPS
4. Harry Hockings – University of Queensland
5. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto – Souths
6. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
7. Liam Wright – Easts
8. Scott Higginbotham – Wests
9. Moses Sorovi – Wests
10. Isaac Lucas – Sunnybank
11. Sefa Naivalu – TBC
12. Duncan Paia’aua – Norths
13. Samu Kerevi (c) – Souths
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia – Souths

16. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank
17. Harry Hoopert – Brothers
18. Feao Fotuaika – Souths
19. Angus Blyth – Bond University
20. Caleb Timu – Souths
21. Tate McDermott – University of Queensland
22. Teti Tela – Souths
23. Filipo Daugunu – Wests

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In accordance with Rugby Australia’s workload management policy this year, Wallabies Spring tourists Taniela Tupou and Izack Rodda have been rested for this weekend.

The two forced changes see Ruan Smith partner his twin brother JP in the frontrow and Angus Scott-Young off the bench and into the backrow, with Lukhan Salakaia-Loto shifting to lock.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
In accordance with Rugby Australia’s workload management policy this year, Wallabies Spring tourists Taniela Tupou and Izack Rodda have been rested for this weekend.

The two forced changes see Ruan Smith partner his twin brother JP in the frontrow and Angus Scott-Young off the bench and into the backrow, with Lukhan Salakaia-Loto shifting to lock.
Reg do RA choose the games to miss or is there a quota and up to the teams choose? Also what's the amount of game/time restrictions?

B

Bobby Sands

As discussed with my much derided observation last week of Lucas at 15 (Hardy on the bench) is a view towards Lucas as long term 10 leapfrogging Hamish.

Low & behold he starts at 10 in his second game, Hamish at 15.

Let’s see what Hamish does & what comes of Hardy (if he makes it).

Thought Isaac looked super promising last week.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
As discussed with my much derided observation last week of Lucas at 15 (Hardy on the bench) is a view towards Lucas as long term 10 leapfrogging Hamish.

Low & behold he starts at 10 in his second game, Hamish at 15.

Let’s see what Hamish does & what comes of Hardy (if he makes it).

Thought Isaac looked super promising last week.
Credit where it is due mate - you did nail it.

Would you happen to know the lotto numbers?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Personally think Smith for Tupou almost strengthens Red's scrum, as last year at least I thought the 2 Smith boys were brilliant scrummagers!!