• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 6: Reds v Brumbies

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Wow talk about Red tinted glasses... The Reds must totally sucks if the Brumbies where so bad.. Although when you only score of mauls you're pretty boring.
I’m not sure it is actually that much to of an insult to take it like that Tomkin.

I largely agree with the point that I think is being made - guys like Creighton, Tui, Sapsford, Brown, Kautai, Pollard, Vella (for the moment at least) I don’t think fhey’re world beaters (and the Reds have plenty in the same boat) but as a collective - well, they showed their class tonight. The defence was on point point and, when there was rhe occasional breach the Brumbiee scramble was great too.

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't want to jinx it, but I think this might be Toole's year...

He's showing more than just being fast, but in saying that it was that pace that helped him stop a Reds' try in the first half.

Wright and Petaia both excellent tonight - put all of those guys together with Kellaway and there's some good options in the back three.

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
This is not the reds year tbh. Brumbies well drilled and will continue to result in the wallabies being crucified by international referees.

I'd be happy enough with the red maintaining their play style and building to dominate that Welsh team tbh.

Great match and a deserved win by the stain on Australia.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Doing more than Valetini for mine in the trial for Wobs 8 - Brums fans will probs disagree

Yeah, another strong disagree...

Valetini easily won that battle.

Wilson is fairly passive in contact, and while busy isn't able to produce key involvements without the momentum and space to work with.

Also, missed 40% of his tackles tonight.

I would love for Wilson to see his potential, but in the past fortnight see why he's been passed over by two different Wallaby coaches*.

*Despite one of them being Eddie.

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In light of the Lonergan injury I assume we're about to hear more about the "hip drop" tackle that's been outlawed in the NRL and NFL...

Reactions: mst

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well fellas, went to bed at halftime , and recorded 2nd half, so glad I did, that was a quality game of rugby. I would quietly say I will be surprised if anyone but Lolesio is at 10 for Wallabies this year, he played really well , and certainly steered Brumbies aroung field well. But by no means a one man team, or even a one team game there, both teams played bloody well!

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
Tua and Sapsford are starting to grow on me. A great example was Sapsfords play in the lead up to Wrights first try.
He was in space and would certainly have had a sniff for the tryline, but instead of doing a shitty little grubber kick or a hail mary flick pass (like most other aussie wingers would have done) he won the collision and recycled the ball. Lo and behold, next phast his team scores.
Not every player on a team needs to be an x factor player. Some guys need to be platform laying players and tua and sapsford are doing a great job of that for the Brumbies

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Wow talk about Red tinted glasses... The Reds must totally sucks if the Brumbies where so bad.. Although when you only score of mauls you're pretty boring.

Where am I wrong?

The Brumbies as an overall unit played better even though they lost the the individual match ups.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Where am I wrong?

The Brumbies as an overall unit played better even though they lost the the individual match ups.
Righto then.

Which Brums lost their matchups? Uru, Flook and Petaia are the only three that clearly outpointed their opposite number. For the Brumbies both props (Ravai was very quiet after a big 15 minutes), R Lonergan, Lolesio and Wright all clearly had better games.

The other head to heads were evenly matched. I'm not suggesting for a minute, for instance, that Jahrome Brown is better than McReight. I'm just saying that last night the Brums did well to limit McReight's influence at the breakdown and Brown's physicality was pivotal in stopping the Reds quick ball. Keen to hear if any objective onlookers think differently, I reckon I know where the respective fanbases will sit.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I thought individually the Reds starting 15 played overall better than their counter parts, but the Brumbies finishers played better than the Reds finishers.

Wright had a more influencial game than Jock who had some pretty horrible miss reads in defence.

Bobby V played better than Wright but Wilson was better than whoever was at at for the Brumbies. That Line out steal By Harry was fantastic to see.

Lyanghs first half penalty miss and the Brumbies disrupting the Reds line out during the first 20-30 along with the momentum killers the Brumbies forced into the Reds through dropped ball or miss kicks was the biggest difference.

The Brumbies looked pretty rudderless with ball in hand when they're between the 50-22m. I lost track how much side to side they went in the second half.

It wasn't until Wright was given room in the Reds defensive 22 did you worry about conceeding a try.

Lawson really did nothing to cement his place of HMP. Really needed someone to direct traffic in that last 3-5 minutes of play. That dead ball kick wasnt a game breaker but it definitely sets you back when you need to be in the oppositions half to get some points.

That last 10-15 minutes of constant scrum resets is such a buzz kill at the game. Happy for the Ref to reset it but I'd be stopping the clock until the ball is out the back of a scrum.
His name is Charlie Cale Ignoto. Charlie is a rookie but by now almost every rugby follower in the country has heard of his name. I'm sorry you seem to have missed out on his emergence in the game this year.

Wilson might have stolen one lineout, but Cale also had one or two steals in return and was the main contributor to disrupting the Reds lineout during the game. He also is more threatening with ball in hand than Harry, and with pace to burn. Wilson is an excellent player with a tremendous workrate and has the inside running to be backup to Rob Valetini at 8 for the Wallabies, but remember the name of Charlie Cale now that you've been introduced because at his present rate of development he will be around for many years yet.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I’m not sure it is actually that much to of an insult to take it like that Tomkin.

I largely agree with the point that I think is being made - guys like Creighton, Tui, Sapsford, Brown, Kautai, Pollard, Vella (for the moment at least) I don’t think fhey’re world beaters (and the Reds have plenty in the same boat) but as a collective - well, they showed their class tonight. The defence was on point point and, when there was rhe occasional breach the Brumbiee scramble was great too.
Nailed it TSR about the scramble defence. Quite a few potential try scoring moves by the Reds were snuffed out by desperate last ditch defence, most notably probably when Corey Toole ran down both Grealy and (another?) around the 5m line from the tryline.

Otherwise, the Brumbies dominated the breakdown area for most of the game and that was where it was won and lost.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, another strong disagree...

Valetini easily won that battle.

Wilson is fairly passive in contact, and while busy isn't able to produce key involvements without the momentum and space to work with.

Also, missed 40% of his tackles tonight.

I would love for Wilson to see his potential, but in the past fortnight see why he's been passed over by two different Wallaby coaches*.

*Despite one of them being Eddie.
This is the best description of Harry Wilson's game that I've seen. He has tremendous workrate and some outstanding ball skills (kickoff receipts excepted) but is largely ineffective due to his passivity.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just a note of caution about Noah Lolesio. While he did some very good things in this game, kicked all his goals and generally outplayed his direct opposites, he is looking a bit like Matt Giteau 2012 version with his indecisive cross field running. He is not fast enough to beat most defenders on the outside and consequently gets caught behind the gain line and often isolated far too frequently. When he runs the ball from the back, he needs to just run straight and take the tackle with support players in close proximity. With that proviso, he has surprised me so far this year with his better game management and all round play.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
remember the name of Charlie Cale now that you've been introduced because at his present rate of development he will be around for many years yet.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry, somehow amongst life of packing and unpacking a house, attending a wedding along with two under 4, I missed the 5 other games this rookie has played.

I can only imagine of the free time of being able to watch every Reds and Brumbies game week in week out!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The Red's maul is their best weapon this year, it's been largely unstoppable and obviously they have worked very hard at it

Having said that, pretty clearly the refs have just stopped caring about the lifters obstructing and getting in front of the ball carrier to setup the maul. That was the flavour of the month this time last year wasn't it?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Just a note of caution about Noah Lolesio. While he did some very good things in this game, kicked all his goals and generally outplayed his direct opposites, he is looking a bit like Matt Giteau 2012 version with his indecisive cross field running. He is not fast enough to beat most defenders on the outside and consequently gets caught behind the gain line and often isolated far too frequently. When he runs the ball from the back, he needs to just run straight and take the tackle with support players in close proximity. With that proviso, he has surprised me so far this year with his better game management and all round play.
Yeah, nah, disagree. It may be a generalisation , but if 10 is running across field it usually indicates a lack of support options. Our centres are rarely available nad wingers don't come in-field . If a 10 get's isolated its generally for the same reasons. (same as with a 15). It was clear to see that the Brumbies backs are still disjointed and the support / options are lacking.. As an example when the attempted cutout pass that was thrown to Noah on the wing, it went across the face of 2 or 3 other players. All were better positioned to run on to the pass, all held back which forced a poor pass behind Noah that ended up going out. Why would you choose the 10 to run the ball on the wing? He has also taken on the line successfully a few times this year which has been refreshing to see.