• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 6: Reds v Brumbies

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Well fellas, went to bed at halftime , and recorded 2nd half, so glad I did, that was a quality game of rugby. I would quietly say I will be surprised if anyone but Lolesio is at 10 for Wallabies this year, he played really well , and certainly steered Brumbies aroung field well. But by no means a one man team, or even a one team game there, both teams played bloody well!
Agree. I thought early this season Donaldson was looking rather good, but then he got the yips with his kicking. You just can't have a 10 not converting at international level.

Carter is likewise a little unpolished in areas, though it's hard to get a true sense of where he is at as I don't feel like the Rebels collectively are playing all that well. Edmed is not in the conversation for me. Likewise hasn't converted some critical kicks and whilst I think he's improved in general play, flattening up, Lolesio and co. are just a step above atm. Lynagh may feature at some point in the future, but he still feels a season or two off.

I'll be curious to see which way Schmidt goes. Whoever it is, I hope we commit and stick for a while. Same with our 9's. I think getting some consistency with our main axis would be good.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Yeah, nah, disagree. It may be a generalisation , but if 10 is running across field it usually indicates a lack of support options. Our centres are rarely available nad wingers don't come in-field . If a 10 get's isolated its generally for the same reasons. (same as with a 15). It was clear to see that the Brumbies backs are still disjointed and the support / options are lacking.. As an example when the attempted cutout pass that was thrown to Noah on the wing, it went across the face of 2 or 3 other players. All were better positioned to run on to the pass, all held back which forced a poor pass behind Noah that ended up going out. Why would you choose the 10 to run the ball on the wing? He has also taken on the line successfully a few times this year which has been refreshing to see.
Think he's referring to Noah's work returning kicks, and I agree with him. In general play at first receiver Noah has been better at playing flat when appropriate and picking his options, though our attack still lacks a bit of subtlety.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Good game.

Number of unforced errors as concerning as Tahs v Rebs, which was not at this standard of Match.
Are they new balls, or have a new sponsor creating slippery patches?

Odd that all teams seemed to have poorer handling this week

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I don't want to jinx it, but I think this might be Toole's year...

He's showing more than just being fast, but in saying that it was that pace that helped him stop a Reds' try in the first half.

Wright and Petaia both excellent tonight - put all of those guys together with Kellaway and there's some good options in the back three.
There's a growing argument not to bother with Nawaqanitawase at all this year and just start building out the wallaby team from the players who'll still be around next year. His form has taken a dip while so many others have stepped up.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
17, 782 there last night. Not as large as hoped but good to see it's still building through the season. That said the city has been absolutely dead this weekend with the easter long weekend, I think everyone has pissed off to the beach to get that last taste of summer in. Any other weekend and it probably would've pulled closer to 20k

Definitely had the feel of a game that had captured a bit more of the wider public - there was more complaining about kicking amongst the crowd that tends to come when more of the fans outside the die hards start showing up.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
felt like the Brumbies breakdown work, defence and control was just a little better.
I think it was a hell of a lot better and (the hated here) Swain had a very good game. Tate annoyed the hell out of me by standing at the back of the ruck and pointing - thus killing any chance of taking the game during the last 15 mins.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Brumbies forced a lot of errors and put a lot of pressure on, particularly at set peice
I thought their pressure came from their blowing the Reds away at the breakdown. They always stuck 3 in there and had the reds on their arses several times. I thought scrums were about equal but it was the speed and defence that capped the effort they put into the breakdown.
Stupid play by the Reds and poor hands makes me think Les Kiss should have them doing passing under-pressure drills all this week!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Think he's referring to Noah's work returning kicks, and I agree with him. In general play at first receiver Noah has been better at playing flat when appropriate and picking his options, though our attack still lacks a bit of subtlety.
If it is about the kick returns I agree in part, but the lack of options is still an issue. To me Naoh, as well of most of the backs are hesitant with all kick returns so no one is ever running directly on to the ball to take on the line. Thus the over kicking at times.

I think this is due to when they do try something heads up, we are still laboured and don't react quick enough and cant get support to the next attacking breakdown.. On the occasions someone does get through the line it's rare you see any support with them.

Personally I think in the last few rounds they are searching for ways on how to get out of the Bernie over structured habits versus playing what's in front of them. Thats why its messy and we lack options or subtlety. It's not instinctive and certainly not natural or the first thought yet.

It's also why we lack the heads up plays like Tate of the back of the scrum down the blindside to Petaia last night. We just do see or think of those options yet.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
17, 782 there last night. Not as large as hoped but good to see it's still building through the season. That said the city has been absolutely dead this weekend with the easter long weekend, I think everyone has pissed off to the beach to get that last taste of summer in. Any other weekend and it probably would've pulled closer to 20k

Definitely had the feel of a game that had captured a bit more of the wider public - there was more complaining about kicking amongst the crowd that tends to come when more of the fans outside the die hards start showing up.

The Lions got 35k on Thursday and the Broncos got 46k on Good Friday. I’m not sure the Reds crowd would have been much larger to be honest.

I’ve been going up and down the coast the last few days for family events and honestly it seems quieter down south than prior years, a few places even with vacancy. On the flip side I’ve taken my kids to a couple of Easter events around Brisbane and it has been heaving.

I do feel like the Reds v Brumbies is seen as the marquee super rugby matchup at the moment for Aussie teams. The game last night should have kept both fan bases happy.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
If it is about the kick returns I agree in part, but the lack of options is still an issue. To me Naoh, as well of most of the backs are hesitant with all kick returns so no one is ever running directly on to the ball to take on the line. Thus the over kicking at times.

I think this is due to when they do try something heads up, we are still laboured and don't react quick enough and cant get support to the next attacking breakdown.. On the occasions someone does get through the line it's rare you see any support with them.

Personally I think in the last few rounds they are searching for ways on how to get out of the Bernie over structured habits versus playing what's in front of them. Thats why its messy and we lack options or subtlety. It's not instinctive and certainly not natural or the first thought yet.

It's also why we lack the heads up plays like Tate of the back of the scrum down the blindside to Petaia last night. We just do see or think of those options yet.
I would not be giving the Brumbies freedom to run around without structure, I think it has been that structure and the ability to hold/return to it that makes them the best Australian Super Rugby team.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The Lions got 35k on Thursday and the Broncos got 46k on Good Friday. I’m not sure the Reds crowd would have been much larger to be honest.

I’ve been going up and down the coast the last few days for family events and honestly it seems quieter down south than prior years, a few places even with vacancy. On the flip side I’ve taken my kids to a couple of Easter events around Brisbane and it has been heaving.

I do feel like the Reds v Brumbies is seen as the marquee super rugby matchup at the moment for Aussie teams. The game last night should have kept both fan bases happy.
Broncos was the Cowboys clash which is always a big draw and will actually pull visitors in from up North. Having Lions Thursday, Broncos Friday may have also hurt the crowd with people choosing one of those for their live sport fix.

I can't speak to what it's like for families, but mid-twenties to mid-thirties are definitely out of town. Half our regular membership group were away along with a couple of guys who would normally take a free ticket. I was out and about all day yesterday before an after the game and both South Brisbane and the Valley were much quieter than usual for a Saturday night.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I thought their pressure came from their blowing the Reds away at the breakdown. They always stuck 3 in there and had the reds on their arses several times. I thought scrums were about equal but it was the speed and defence that capped the effort they put into the breakdown.
Stupid play by the Reds and poor hands makes me think Les Kiss should have them doing passing under-pressure drills all this week!
It's not only this game, but for a genuine Wallaby like McDermott, it's still pretty amazing how often his left to right pass misses the mark. It all starts from there

Marce

John Thornett (49)
1000237846.jpg

59 minutes and Reds is winning 19-10. I can't believe how Reds lost this game (Sadly I know the result)

Red Twist

Allen Oxlade (6)
Where's the average out of interest? I don't know that they're below standard in more positions than Qld. Swain has copped a pizzling on here again tonight but one dumb penalty aside had a very effective 80 minutes.

Reds will be very flat they've burned the Forve game to focus on tonight and come away with nothing.
They didn't come away with nothing though. A losing bonus point is in the bag. It was a missed conversion away from a win. A bit of perspective.

As for average, some of the front row and the centres are definitely average. Swain, he's just a disappointment.