• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 6: Reds v. Hurricanes, April 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just got home from the game, still pumped, so much good effort put in.

I have to say, come next Saturday night, the ponies are FUCKED

Comreds by 30+

Yep Redst, I just got home too, and you right I feel a bit pumped too, actually bloody well pleased, my mighty Canes won, my Aus team played bloody well, and gave it everything!! That was one of better games I have been at live for a while! It's bloody great watching a game where both teams are so positive!!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
We did better than the Highlanders did v the canes, so Reds > Highlanders

I don't think Pillock cares about the Highlanders much.
Highlanders.
sight-22.jpg

Pillock
Kurgan_(Highlander).jpg

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Duncan is a star. I've been impressed with every game he has played this year.

Good to see Taniela go all right in the scrums too. He didn't have much impact in the loose other than the offload to start Higgers try, but that will come once he has confidence he can hold his own in the scrums.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
.....Let this be a message to the opposing teams: No-one tries to outdo the reds when it comes to losing a match

This game was the personification of the saying 'Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you on experience'......
Nah it wasn't like that at all. The Reds played pretty well (outstandingly for their standard this season). The Canes undid themselves by not respecting their opposition. They looked like they had approached the game thinking they didn't have to do the hard yards first and they nearly paid the price.

In the end the difference was gas and composure. The Canes kept their foot on it for the 80 and we were gassed after 60. It also dawned on them at about the same time that they had to work for this win and did what championship teams do from that point on.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
And showing how bad our conference is, the Reds are still a reasonable chance of topping the table and making the finals. If we can beat the Brumbies in Canberra next week we are right back in it.

No wonder the Kiwis are pissed.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
And showing how bad our conference is, the Reds are still a reasonable chance of topping the table and making the finals. If we can beat the Brumbies in Canberra next week we are right back in it.

What are they "pissed" about? Didn't they know how the conference system worked? Are they that stupid? That greedy for success over us at all costs?

Or all of the above?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Hell I had Reds picked to make finals anyway No49, I not pissed, that's just the way this conference system is set.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Nah it wasn't like that at all. The Reds played pretty well (outstandingly for their standard this season). The Canes undid themselves by not respecting their opposition. They looked like they had approached the game thinking they didn't have to do the hard yards first and they nearly paid the price.

In the end the difference was gas and composure. The Canes kept their foot on it for the 80 and we were gassed after 60. It also dawned on them at about the same time that they had to work for this win and did what championship teams do from that point on.

I was actually having a laugh about that. Sorry if it didn't come across that way (seriously)

This game also made me think - I don't think the NZ players rate us

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
What are they "pissed" about? Didn't they know how the conference system worked? Are they that stupid? That greedy for success over us at all costs?

Or all of the above?

Geez Wamberal, bury your kiwi hate for a minute, he was only guessing we kiwis are pissed, I not, hells teeth I might get to see a final at Suncorp even if it because Reds are my Aus team and get a home final through the back door.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
What are they "pissed" about?
Didn't they know how the conference system worked?
Are they that stupid?
That greedy for success over us at all costs?
Or all of the above?

Could do with a pole to definitively get to the bottom of this one.

Obviously, some of us support sides that get royally arsefucked up the shitter by the conference system. We may not particularly want to support the useless pricks week in and week out but it's where we're from and what we've always done so, stupidly, we still fuckign do it. Blues and landers already virtually no hope playoff-wise despite having “respectable” records while some tard ranch aussie franchise blunderfucks their way to a cripplefought losing record and hello, here you are Sir’s & Madam’s, a motherfucking home playoff berth.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ Bloos will finish the Round in the Random Munted Team Sympathy Wildcard position with the Clan just a point further back. Both have had horror draws to date so once they start hitting the softer oppo either or both could rocket up the table. One of the NZ teams has to miss out, that's just how it works, but there's no reason the other four can't make it (agree on the unearned home playoff, tho, that's one of my pet hates).

Also & like Dan says above, I'm not particularly "pissed" with any aspect of the comp. I know there's some writers at the Hurld etc who affect to be pissed at various things but I wouldn't take any of them seriously, nor to be representative of the sentiments of most kiwi rugby fans.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Some thoughts from this match:

- the key positive for me and in the way I assess things, this was the game when the Reds categorically proved that in their mode of play and (most) skills, they have departed the catastrophic past of the RG era. I will credit the coaching group with that crucial exit (although much, much more is required from this group if they are to deliver back big-enough fan love and multiple victories in some sort of consistent row).

There were glimmers before, only glimmers, but this was a game when these Reds were not overawed, both their attack and defence showed signs of the cohesion and sustained application of skills essential to win games, the team themselves seemed properly motivated and with demonstrated intensity, they could put long phases together against a very good defence, and so on.

A kind of essential rite of passage from over the long harsh tundra of continued 2013-16 coaching incompetence and through many, many very dark nights was affirmed last night. Will this fragile break from the past be sustained?

- having said all that, if these teams were to play once again next weekend, we can likely assume that a team of 'Canes calibre would avoid YCs and not have 3 tries disallowed via their own unforced errors. The Reds benefitted hugely from all these turns of fortune that were not 'ordinary'.

- Kuridrani, Frisby, McIntyre are serious problem players that should not be persisted with until there is evidence they are genuinely improved players (and I have my doubts this will ever occur). If re-used these players will certainly reduce the Reds chances of anything other than a very mediocre season, and this season, with a shocking 17% w-l today after 6 games, could easily still be a disaster in both hard performance and fans-returning terms.

- I still think Moore, Douglas and Smith are borderline value in terms what one hears they are paid and in terms of their contributions after 6 games. I see no real evidence that their avowed 'experience' is proving key to the 2017 Reds. And a Captain that must be replaced after 48 minutes is less than ideal. I would absolutely give Higgers the Captaincy, IMO he did the job well with a lesser team at the Rebels. Moore looks to me not greatly engaged, as though this is all a nice last sojourn back to his family roots.

- Talking Higgers: his terrific performance last night brought back to me one the most glorious Reds rugby memories ever. I was thrilled with what I was seeing under Link in early 2010. For the home game against the Bulls in mid-April 2010 I was in London and had to search high and low for a sports bar showing the game in the early London morning; I nearly found none but just one was finally secured. And then that moment: Genia makes a cunning kick downfield and Higgers brilliantly outruns the 2 Bulls centres over around (from memory) 50 metres to score a fine try that turned the game. The Reds followed that up the next week with a home win v the Stormers and we knew, 'it was on', this team could possibly deliver glory days for us and so it was to prove the very next year.

- why a young H Stewart was not given some minutes at the end really befuddles me. As above, without much better work at 10, only random Reds wins are a possibility. And QC (Quade Cooper) - I'm sorry - is so far this season 'not what his greatest fans hoped for' to put it gently.

- One thing I do love about Stiles is this: he speaks his mind, does not snort out the ludicrous, dishonest PC shit we used to get from Graham, he states accurately where and how the team have not performed and is totally frank about it even if his words imply criticism of both himself and certain players. This is a fine quality in an HC and will build respect inside the team.

- minor aside: I really doubt there were 17,000 odd fans there, Suncorp looked less than than 33% full even allowing for the fact that there would have been a solid Brisbane-based Kiwi attendance. In 2015 it was widely known the declared Reds' crowd numbers were 'helped along'; I hope that dishonesty (so typical of the Graham era in values terms) has not re-surfaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.