• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 6: Waratahs v Crusaders - Saturday 23 March @ SCG

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Stable scrums all night. Fairly even, too. The Tahs started to look a bit wobbly with replacement front row but Gordon did a good job getting it in and out fast.

Our set play off the back of scrums was terrible, though. Clearly trying to find a way around the rush defence and failing.

We've got to improve that. You just have to score more often from than 5-10m scrums that are close-ish to the middle of the field. You don't get better attacking opportunities and really only need to force a minor misread from the defence to score.

I feel like Dempsey picking the ball up at the back of the scrum and passing to Phipps isn't the right move there as it just gives the defence more time. Dempsey either needs to run or make a long pass (which I wouldn't advocate) if he's going to pick the ball up. Preferably Phipps clears the ball quickly and gives us one on one opportunities with plenty of space in whichever direction we go. A player taking the line on with a support runner running a good angle is often all it takes to get enough of a misread to score.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree. Good, simple structure, moving up quickly and making their tackles. Hopefully Grey is watching.

I thought Foley played well too.

I think the spacing was a much better system than we have seen by the Tahs, in prior seasons they have been more compressed and run around a lot after any quick ball (as are the Wobs)

One of the pleasures of rugby is that same spacing leads to less units in close and the big gains at times has been those direct pick and drives of quick ball as the defense spreads

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We've got to improve that. You just have to score more often from than 5-10m scrums that are close-ish to the middle of the field. You don't get better attacking opportunities and really only need to force a minor misread from the defence to score.

I feel like Dempsey picking the ball up at the back of the scrum and passing to Phipps isn't the right move there as it just gives the defence more time. Dempsey either needs to run or make a long pass (which I wouldn't advocate) if he's going to pick the ball up. Preferably Phipps clears the ball quickly and gives us one on one opportunities with plenty of space in whichever direction we go. A player taking the line on with a support runner running a good angle is often all it takes to get enough of a misread to score.
Cross field kick to Izzy seems to be the go. It's a bit one dimensional, but knowing it's coming doesn't mean you can stop it. Izzy is definitely unmatched in the air in world rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cross field kick to Izzy seems to be the go. It's a bit one dimensional, but knowing it's coming doesn't mean you can stop it. Izzy is definitely unmatched in the air in world rugby.

I still think it is a lower percentage play at that position on the field than just running the ball (and giving Folau a one on one running opportunity at someone with the prospect of offloading for example).

Certainly better than putting a grubber through on first phase though (that was a ridiculous play call).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I still think it is a lower percentage play at that position on the field than just running the ball (and giving Folau a one on one running opportunity at someone with the prospect of offloading for example).

Certainly better than putting a grubber through on first phase though (that was a ridiculous play call).
Yeah, well it should be the case that it's a low percentage play you try on with advantage, but it certainly wasn't the lowest percentage play last match and we are really struggling to finish at the moment.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

Fully agree.
Dempsey was very slow in that process. I'm sure the coaches will have seen/will review that problem.
If the ball isn't going to be cleared quickly to the backs, I'd prefer to see Phipps scoot away quickly with a back outside him and a flanker inside him.