• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 8: Moana Pasifika v Qld Friday April 12

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
This has become a pretty big game for the Reds. After a promising start dropping games to the Force and Brumbies has them back mid-table.

They really need to pick up the win here. If they are going to be a genuine chance this year they also need to do a much better job converting chances - be that ball in hand or from the tee.

I haven’t seen any injury update but I am hoping 1 of either Hodgman or Fa’agase is back to strengthen up front. Otherwise I am happy to leave my faith in the coaching staff as to whether guys like Blyth, Brial and Werchon get a crack or we continue with the incumbants. Also whether Creighton or McLaughlin-Phillips fills the 22 jersey.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Anderson and De Lutiis both made there return via club footy last weekend so should be available, though I don't expect either to be in the frame for this game.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
REDS (1-15): Peni Ravai, Matt Faessler, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Seru Uru, Ryan Smith, Liam Wright (co-c), Fraser McReight, Harry Wilson, Tate McDermott (co-c), Harry McLaughlin-Phillips, Jordan Petaia, Hunter Paisami, Josh Flook, Jordan Petaia, Jock Campbell

RESERVES: Josh Nasser, Alex Hodgman, Zane Nonggorr, Angus Blyth, John Bryant, Kalani Thomas, Lawson Creighton, Mac Grealy

I'm guessing one of those Petaia's is actually Vunivalu, unless we've cloned him

Wilson

David Codey (61)
PASIFIKA (1-15): Abraham Pole, Samiuela Moli, Sione Mafileo, Tom Savage, Allan Craig, Irie Papuni, Jacob Norris, Sione Havili Talitui (c), Ereatara Enari, William Havili, Fine Inisi, Julian Savea, Henry Taefu. Viliami Fine, Danny Toala

RESERVES: Sama Malolo, Sateki Latu, Sekope Kepu, Ola Tauelangi, Miracle Faiilagi, Melani Matavao, Christina Lealiifano, Nigel Ah Wong

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
REDS (1-15): Peni Ravai, Matt Faessler, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Seru Uru, Ryan Smith, Liam Wright (co-c), Fraser McReight, Harry Wilson, Tate McDermott (co-c), Harry McLaughlin-Phillips, Jordan Petaia, Hunter Paisami, Josh Flook, Jordan Petaia, Jock Campbell

RESERVES: Josh Nasser, Alex Hodgman, Zane Nonggorr, Angus Blyth, John Bryant, Kalani Thomas, Lawson Creighton, Mac Grealy

I'm guessing one of those Petaia's is actually Vunivalu, unless we've cloned him

Yep. Vuni starting. I’d still start Lynagh full strength but that’s close to our best 23 all season.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Interesting to see Angus make his way in. Cormac has been solid, albeit not flashy but also I don't remember anything bad he's done.

I thought Lynagh has done enough to stay in the 23 though. Lawson will need to have another positive impact in this game though.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting to see Angus make his way in. Cormac has been solid, albeit not flashy but also I don't remember anything bad he's done.

I thought Lynagh has done enough to stay in the 23 though. Lawson will need to have another positive impact in this game though.
I think Lynagh deserves a shot but HMP has been great too so will be a toss up going forward.

Looks like kiss is giving Lynagh a rest though:

"Lawson Creighton, the utility back who can play anywhere across the backline, has been preferred on the bench ahead of Lynagh.

Harry deserves a start and we freshen up Tom (Lynagh). We are fortunate with our stocks at No.10 but also aware of the player management needed over a long season,” Reds head coach Les Kiss said.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Id like to see player management of the forward pack also. Besides Nongorr there has been no rotation there

considering bench split - it does become a little more difficult as Matchday 23 usually are forward heavy.

3rd string hooker hasn’t been seen yet for reds? Max Craig - think he got a super cap last year

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Max isn't Super capped. One v Saitama.

Richie Asiata is 3rd hooker but he hasn't played yet. Anywhere I don't think

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I must admit to not knowing a hell of a lot about the officiating team. Anyone now Mabey?

REF
Angus Mabey​
AR1
Marcus Playle​
AR2
Nick Hogan​
TMO
Shane McDermott​

capalaba

Stan Wickham (3)
Angus Mabey is a Kiwi ref, who does not control the breakdown and scrum very well, shows a reluctance to call a scrum penalty. I personally don't like his style refereeing.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I must admit to not knowing a hell of a lot about the officiating team. Anyone now Mabey?

REF
Angus Mabey​

AR1
Marcus Playle​

AR2
Nick Hogan​

TMO
Shane McDermott​
Mabey officiated a game last week (don’t recall which), as I remember thinking it was a somewhat unfortunate name for a ref.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
He did Tahs v Rebels and Moana v Drua earlier this year. Has about 10 super rugby games under his belt.

He's only 34, well regarded by the powers that be and we are likely to see a lot more of hime

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Agree Cormac has been pretty solid. But I like that we have a bit more experience on the bench with Hodgman and Blyth there. Hopefully Blyth is chomping at the bit and adds some real grunt - although he can be prone to lapses in discipline so hopefully we get the impact without the downside.